Rickie Lambert

Pin-seeker

Visit site
They have performed to earn the higher wages in the club - cant recall them ever leaving to gain more money.

believe both Coutinho and Sturridge took wage drops when they joined.

Again if someone wants to turn us down because another team offers more money then away they go.

But Sturridge left because Chelsea didn't want him :confused:admittedly he's done well since his move. But he didn't join Liverpool because he loved the club. They were probably his best option at the time.

D

Deleted member 15344

But Sturridge left because Chelsea didn't want him :confused:admittedly he's done well since his move. But he didn't join Liverpool because he loved the club. They were probably his best option at the time.

When has anyone mentioned about "love of club" ?

He could have stayed at Chelsea and kept earning the money - but he decided to leave to play the game of football and not just take home a high wage - that will do me.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the main reasons Liverpool have been loosing out on players like willian etc is because carrot dangle of CL has help sway them. a few players over the last couple of seasons have openly said that the lure of CL football is too much. But going to players as PL runners up and being in the CL will help attract bigger players. Last summer approaching players to ask them to play for a team that finished 7th and didn't even get Europa League football is not going to make then think they can have success and trophies. I think united may loose out on some potential signing for the same reasons this summer.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
When has anyone mentioned about "love of club" ?

He could have stayed at Chelsea and kept earning the money - but he decided to leave to play the game of football and not just take home a high wage - that will do me.
Apologies I thought you was insinuating that Sturridge took a wage drop because he wanted to play for Liverpool.
Well this as been fun. Have a good day Phillip :thup:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
One of the main reasons Liverpool have been loosing out on players like willian etc is because carrot dangle of CL has help sway them. a few players over the last couple of seasons have openly said that the lure of CL football is too much. But going to players as PL runners up and being in the CL will help attract bigger players. Last summer approaching players to ask them to play for a team that finished 7th and didn't even get Europa League football is not going to make then think they can have success and trophies. I think united may loose out on some potential signing for the same reasons this summer.

I still reckon UTD will attract bigger players than Liverpool in the transfer window.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I reckon UTD probably have a season of grace. I mean they got Mata to join them when europe was off the tbael by January. I also think that the coaching of some of those players could have a big impact. Bad as moyes may have been. The players clealy didn't give him any respect. Gaal is a much bigger name. I reckon a cb and ball winner are key for them. Rooney, Mata, RVP and Hernandez is still at top attacking 4some!

D

Deleted member 15344

Loyal, love of the club Chelsea transfer request and men in black at the door. ...... :mmm:

His decision to stay at Anfield, turning down an estimated extra £15million from Chelsea in increased wages, enhanced his standing with Liverpudlians, regardless of whether their loyalty is Liverpool red or Everton blue

Pin-seeker

Visit site
His decision to stay at Anfield, turning down an estimated extra £15million from Chelsea in increased wages, enhanced his standing with Liverpudlians, regardless of whether their loyalty is Liverpool red or Everton blue

But Phil you only believe what you want to believe.
Anything positive towards Liverpool you seem to believe & anything negative is quickly regarded as gossip.

D

Deleted member 15344

But Phil you only believe what you want to believe.
Anything positive towards Liverpool you seem to believe & anything negative is quickly regarded as gossip.

So he didnt turn down more money and stayed at Liverpool ( despite him stating as such in various articles and interviews and in his book )

When did i mention gossip ?

Gerrard was tempted but in the end didnt go - where is the gossip ?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Not sure what wages Chelsea offered,I don't think this info is released & I don't believe everything I read:thup:i know he's been on massive wages at Liverpool tho,on par with other top players in the EPL.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not sure what wages Chelsea offered,I don't think this info is released & I don't believe everything I read:thup:i know he's been on massive wages at Liverpool tho,on par with other top players in the EPL.

Bur certainly not as much as some players in the league - he has been rewarded for his play with us throughout his whole career. He was offered more money - has stated that himself - but turned it down. Yes he has had a comfortable life financially but he isnt even in the top ten earners in the country and not even the top earner in our club.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Bur certainly not as much as some players in the league - he has been rewarded for his play with us throughout his whole career. He was offered more money - has stated that himself - but turned it down. Yes he has had a comfortable life financially but he isnt even in the top ten earners in the country and not even the top earner in our club.

Come on Phil he's 34yrs old,obviously he's not one of the top earners in the league now:eek: Suarez as just signed a new contract & is suppose to be one of the best players in the world so it's pretty obvious he's going to be on more money at Liverpool.
Would you really expect a player to say he stayed for the money??
Sorry to burst your bubble Phil but good old Stevie G is the same as every other player.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Whilst i don't believe the rumours of his reasons for staying. I also don't think it was just through blind loyalty. Could he of earned more at chelsea? YES. Did he also get a hefty wage increase. yes. His own fathers testament states that he gave Stevie a dressing down informing him how it would affect his family. So whilst he has shown loyalty, i would suggest it was the loyalty towards his family and not the badge that had him stay. Either way he is arguably Liverpools greatest player and i for one am glad he stayed as I'm not sure he would of been such a Roy of the Rovers anywhere else.

D

Deleted member 15344

Come on Phil he's 34yrs old,obviously he's not one of the top earners in the league now:eek: Suarez as just signed a new contract & is suppose to be one of the best players in the world so it's pretty obvious he's going to be on more money at Liverpool.
Would you really expect a player to say he stayed for the money??
Sorry to burst your bubble Phil but good old Stevie G is the same as every other player.

Gerrard has never been paid more than £130 thou a week - even when he turned down Chelsea his new contract was around £90 -100 a week. Think terry is on around £170 ,000

Gerrard himself has stated many many times he turned down more money at Chelsea - his agent , the club everyone has said the same thing both in interviews etc - you can choose not to believe it and im not surprised you dont but Gerrard turned down Chelsea to stay at his boyhood club after being tempted by bigger wages ( who wouldnt ) and a better chance of trophies. His dad has even stated the same thing. So yes i believe our captain - never given us any reason not to - i know it grates that he turned you down - but it happens , money cant buy everything.

Yep Suarez has signed a new contract with us as a reward for his outstanding performances this season and to give him a wage that his talent reflects ( based on others in the league and in the world )

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I still reckon UTD will attract bigger players than Liverpool in the transfer window.

Basically because they have to!

As for Gerrards's loyalty, that may be something that is costing him money, but it may not be all that much. The 'weekly wage' difference may exclude any incentives by Liverpool and include them from (the likes of) Chelsea.

And he would have weighed it up with the same question that always comes up when he and Lampard are in the same team! (How) do you play both of them!

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This has just sprung up on Twitter (so it must be true then)

Deal taking Rickie Lambert to #LFC looks off. Southampton are now expressing desire to a consider higher offer from another unnamed PL club.