Rickie Lambert

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Surely it should be, you're not leaving at any price or;

SFC "Adam, we've rejected a £15m bid from LFC for you"

Adam " but i'd like to go to LFC"

SFC "ok we will not let you go for less than £xxm and you'll lose all your bonuses etc"

Adam " ok"

And this applies to when Madrid comes knocking for Suarez...

But that's you living in the real world - we're talking football here - the worlds gone mad, I tell yer!

D

Deleted member 15344

Guess we will find out how much Lallana wants to leave - going to be hard for Southampton to keep their players when CL clubs start bidding. Lallana prob has one big move left in him as he isnt a youngster and will want to test himself at the highest level.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Southampton need to be careful. If they don't get a new manager in soon, and end up selling players near to the start of the new season, they are going to have no time to find any replacements.

D

Deleted member 1740

clubs want to save face. It was an extreme case with lambert. We were never gonna stand in his way for his boyhood club. He's also a lot older. As it is, saints have stated no transfers will occur til a manager is in and has made decisions. Lallana can either accept that it request a transfer. His choice. I'd say if either club is acting inapproprietaly it is Liverpool (not that I think they are) as we've made our stance clear and they've continued to bid.

I agree with that but like we've seen over the years EVERY player has a valuation it depends on how much the buying team want them.

I think lallana is a cracking player, I just hope he doesn't leave on bad terms tbh.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I agree with that but like we've seen over the years EVERY player has a valuation it depends on how much the buying team want them.

I think lallana is a cracking player, I just hope he doesn't leave on bad terms tbh.

Peraonally, having heard him speak at many saints functions. He's a level headed lad. I'd imagine he would force it if he had too, but for the next couple of weeks he has bigger things on his mind. No disrespect to Liverpool, but in sure the World Cup is his current priority.

Im not overly concerned about timescales just yet. Have a few bets with rival fans from work already who think were Certs for relegation. If we only lose Shaw and Lallana between now and September we will be fine. Lose lover too and we need some extra signings.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Southampton need to be careful. If they don't get a new manager in soon, and end up selling players near to the start of the new season, they are going to have no time to find any replacements.

Sell Lallana and ward Prowse replaces him. Sell Shaw and Clyne replaces him. Sold lambert so Osvaldo and Gallagher will replace him. LOVREN is the key for me. Schneiderlein too. Wanyama has to step up next year. We have ready made replacements and a kitty of 60m plus if players are sold. I have full trust in the clubs direction.

Last edited:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Sell Lallana and ward Prowse replaces him. Sell Shaw and Clyne replaces him. Sold lambert so Osvaldo and Gallagher will replace him. LOVREN is the key for me. Schneiderlein too. Wanyama has to step up next year. We have ready made replacements and a kitty of 60m plus if players are sold. I have full trust in the clubs direction.
Sorry but the team will be weaker, and even if you have £60 million to spend you will struggle to find top players that want to go to Southampton. Players in the championship, those at teams just relegated from the Premiership, but players from teams in the top 10 or Europe.:mmm:

Think you will struggle next season, but happy to be proved wrong. Well not that happy.;) You can have Adkins back to start with if you like.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sorry but the team will be weaker, and even if you have £60 million to spend you will struggle to find top players that want to go to Southampton. Players in the championship, those at teams just relegated from the Premiership, but players from teams in the top 10 or Europe.:mmm:

Think you will struggle next season, but happy to be proved wrong. Well not that happy.;) You can have Adkins back to start with if you like.

We finished 14th season before and lovren Osvaldo n wanyama were happy enough to join. I'm happy to have a help for heroes or prov1 box bet that saints will finish safely next season.

Our scouting network is europewide, not championship and below. Although Ings wouldn't be a bad shout.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We finished 14th season before and lovren Osvaldo n wanyama were happy enough to join. I'm happy to have a help for heroes or prov1 box bet that saints will finish safely next season.

Our scouting network is europewide, not championship and below. Although Ings wouldn't be a bad shout.
I don't think you will go down, but I think it will be a struggle. A lot will depend on who the new manager is.You might get a Di Canio type.:whistle:

Interesting point re your scouting network. There are some good players on the championship, so surprised you do not look there. Seem to remember Lambert, Rodriquez, Clyne came from lower divisions.:whistle: For every success from Europe there are plenty of failures. Just ask Spurs supporters. Quality players on your books are better than millions in the bank in my opinion.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I don't think you will go down, but I think it will be a struggle. A lot will depend on who the new manager is.You might get a Di Canio type.:whistle:

Interesting point re your scouting network. There are some good players on the championship, so surprised you do not look there. Seem to remember Lambert, Rodriquez, Clyne came from lower divisions.:whistle: For every success from Europe there are plenty of failures. Just ask Spurs supporters. Quality players on your books are better than millions in the bank in my opinion.

i know there are players form lower leagues that can do well hence mentioned Ings, but you weren't implying that in your comment. You were implying we'd need journey men or players so good their team got relegated. I'm confident with Koeman our youth will still flourish whilst his name will hopefully allow us to attract big names.

Id if also add that as lambert has stated, our staff helped him improve imeasurable so I'm confident whoever we get we can improve.

D

Deleted member 15344

BBC reporting that Lallana has said he would like to leave - not put in an official request.

Will they get any bigger than £25mil ? Can't really see it.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
BBC reporting that Lallana has said he would like to leave - not put in an official request.

Im not sure we're after more money. I think it's more a case that we want a top manager (koeman) and if we sell all players before would look less attractive.

I think if he joins he will decide. Plenty of clubs have forced players to stay before. He's got 4 years left and misbehaving next season wouldn't help his cause if we forced him to stay. Same for any of our players, as much as I expect sales. They all have long contracts.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

the problem for me with Lallana is, he is a good player, but because he is English, his price has gone up. he would be average at best in a la liga team and a mid table English team could buy him £10m max, add the "English multiplier" and suddenly he is £25/30m..

D

Deleted member 15344

Im not sure we're after more money. I think it's more a case that we want a top manager (koeman) and if we sell all players before would look less attractive.

I think if he joins he will decide. Plenty of clubs have forced players to stay before. He's got 4 years left and misbehaving next season wouldn't help his cause if we forced him to stay. Same for any of our players, as much as I expect sales. They all have long contracts.

Could understand that if you were Spurs or a club on the edge of CL footy - but Lallana at his age will now look to further himself and test himself at the next step up - it's possibly what Le Tissier should have done ? And a top manager may arrive but you would then need to attract the players.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
the problem for me with Lallana is, he is a good player, but because he is English, his price has gone up. he would be average at best in a la liga team and a mid table English team could buy him £10m max, add the "English multiplier" and suddenly he is £25/30m..

Scored more goals from open play than any other midfielder in prem except Yaya, sets goals up for fun and can play anywhere from midfield forward. £30m may be excessive when compared to Fabregas, but when compared to fernandinho or Matic it's a fair price.

D

Deleted member 15344

Oh I agree that he is over priced - £20mil is the absolute max and even then I think it's too much but can understand Soton wanting more as they need to give Bournmouth a fair amount

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Could understand that if you were Spurs or a club on the edge of CL footy - but Lallana at his age will now look to further himself and test himself at the next step up - it's possibly what Le Tissier should have done ? And a top manager may arrive but you would then need to attract the players.

our position in the league is irrelevant. You did great last year, but you were hardly on the edge of champs league and made a stance. Le Tissier didn't want to move. Him not getting picked for England was down to the managers. Not his ability, with today's thinking he'd have picked up numerous more caps.

I agree lallana will want to move on, but he has a four year deal he was happy enough to sign up to, so now it's up to us.

D

Deleted member 15344

Scored more goals from open play than any other midfielder in prem except Yaya, sets goals up for fun and can play anywhere from midfield forward. £30m may be excessive when compared to Fabregas, but when compared to fernandinho or Matic it's a fair price.

You can't compare him to either Matic or Fernandinho - both are too quality centre mids with CL and international experience. Lallana isn't at their level yet

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
You can't compare him to either Matic or Fernandinho - both are too quality centre mids with CL and international experience. Lallana isn't at their level yet

Well I know who I'd rather have in my team. Would you rather have sturridge or olic? One has a lot more caps than the other.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well I know who I'd rather have in my team. Would you rather have sturridge or olic? One has a lot more caps than the other.

Olic is 34 - Sturridge is in his early 20's.

At the same age I would have taken Olic - quality striker.

Matic and Fernandinho are different types of players as well

Lallana has had a good season - played well no doubt and think he could be a good player for our squad but let's not go to,overboard on him until he we see more than a good season