Rickie Lambert

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't believe it. As a Fulham fan, I have no doubt PL clubs will be scouting the likes of Hangeland and others on the lookout for a player looking to move on. Southampton WILL be scouting the CL and the lower divisions. Every club's at it. You may well have scouts in Europe but you also have those in the lower echelons of the British game too
Seem to remember a certain foreign manager scouting two Southampton players when they were in the lower leagues.

For clubs that don't have tens of millions to invest, the Championship can be a great place to buy players. A lot of top Premier league clubs loan out players that may never make their first team, but turn into top Premier league players with other clubs. We bought Steve Sidwell from Arsenal, but saw him playing for Brighton. A lot of the best players I saw last season playing against Reading, seemed to be on loan from the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd etc.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
From my limited knowledge of Soton, most of their great players over the last 10 years have come through the youth ranks, rather than scouted as professional adult players. Is that right?

Whether they can do that again in a short space of time, if their top 6-7 players were all sold, would be very doubtful. If they did use the £80-100 million well and they bring another 1-2 through they may be in good shape for the next few years.

Losing a manager and your best 6-7 players can also be very hard to replace as well as to assimilate into a team though. I doubt they would go down, but hope they stay up next season and go from strength to strength.

I like the way they played for most of the season, the makings of a great team, but as the premiership is dog-eat-dog, it looks like the heart may be ripped out of their side. That's the footballers of todays attitude though.

We've been on both sides of that coin, and I hate to see players "engineer" a move whether to or away from us. The whole process stinks.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Im not saying that we will even make Europa homer. You've seen more of Fulham than me this year, how many of your players would improve soton right now?
Are we talking about Southampton at the end of last season or the one minus Lambert, Lallana, Shaw and any others that leave ?:mmm: Rodriquez has to recover from a serious injury. Is he going to be the same player that he was at the end of the season.:mmm:

New manager will bring in new players. Will they fit in, or be like the majority of players Spurs bought under AVB ? Just because you spend millions on a player, especially foreign ones there is no guarantee they will be successful.

D

Deleted member 15344

Southampton have done well this season - was a great result to finish top ten but as with Lallana lets not get carried away - couple season ago Swansea finished top ten and won a trophy then struggled in a relegation battle when losing a manager and a few players.

It great saying spend £60 plus million on players but you still need to attract them to Southampton.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
From my limited knowledge of Soton, most of their great players over the last 10 years have come through the youth ranks, rather than scouted as professional adult players. Is that right?

Whether they can do that again in a short space of time, if their top 6-7 players were all sold, would be very doubtful. If they did use the £80-100 million well and they bring another 1-2 through they may be in good shape for the next few years.

Losing a manager and your best 6-7 players can also be very hard to replace as well as to assimilate into a team though. I doubt they would go down, but hope they stay up next season and go from strength to strength.

I like the way they played for most of the season, the makings of a great team, but as the premiership is dog-eat-dog, it looks like the heart may be ripped out of their side. That's the footballers of todays attitude though.

We've been on both sides of that coin, and I hate to see players "engineer" a move whether to or away from us. The whole process stinks.

I personally don't think we will be torn apart. Lallana is going to you guys. But not til we have a new manager. We need to appear strong to get the big name manager we're apparently after. I think we will lose shaw also. Maybe Lovren.

I would be be happy to see us start the year with Boruc, clyne, fonte, xxx, chambers, schneiderlein, wanyam, cork, Ramirez, prowse and Rodriguez. We will also have Gallagher, cork, Davis, yoshida and reed who all played a major part in last season.

In the last 10 years we've not had too many great players as they've been sold before they could progress. But of the team above prowse and chambers are the only two from the youth set up and I'd be happy for all the others to play. We survived for 28 years in Orem on possibly the smallest budget as our youth set up has always been good. I genuinely think that we will keep all the players together apart from the big three (lamber already gone) as they haven't quite hit the headlines yet. Next summer I think clyne, chambers and prowse will be the targets.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Southampton have done well this season - was a great result to finish top ten but as with Lallana lets not get carried away - couple season ago Swansea finished top ten and won a trophy then struggled in a relegation battle when losing a manager and a few players.

It great saying spend £60 plus million on players but you still need to attract them to Southampton.
swansea had to contend with Europa. As I've said, I don't think we will improve on 8th, not with payers leaving. But I don't think relegation will be an issue either. I'm pretty sure Newcastle, Everton, Swansea, spurs and Liverpool off top of my head had a poorer season when they were last in Europa in comparison to their previous season. Thankfully we missed it so our small squad won't have that trouble.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Are we talking about Southampton at the end of last season or the one minus Lambert, Lallana, Shaw and any others that leave ?:mmm: Rodriquez has to recover from a serious injury. Is he going to be the same player that he was at the end of the season.:mmm:

New manager will bring in new players. Will they fit in, or be like the majority of players Spurs bought under AVB ? Just because you spend millions on a player, especially foreign ones there is no guarantee they will be successful.

of course spending guarantees nothing. But spurs went mental hoping one player might work and replace bale.
As I've said, I don't see many other than the first three leaving. So no. I'd still not want any of the Fulham players mentioned.
Rodriguez will take time, but I think he's a natural finisher so don't think injury will affect his ability, mental side of game will be all important. Better players than him have faltered after injuries so jury is out.

D

Deleted member 15344

swansea had to contend with Europa. As I've said, I don't think we will improve on 8th, not with payers leaving. But I don't think relegation will be an issue either. I'm pretty sure Newcastle, Everton, Swansea, spurs and Liverpool off top of my head had a poorer season when they were last in Europa in comparison to their previous season. Thankfully we missed it so our small squad won't have that trouble.

But your small squad is prob going to lose it 3 best players possibly 4.

Again you have had one decent season - but there is nothing to say you wont get dragged into a relegation battle - bigger and better squads in the past have - especially with a new manager. You might be relegated but can see you in the bottom half of the table along side the likes of West Brom and West Ham etc

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
But your small squad is prob going to lose it 3 best players possibly 4.

Again you have had one decent season - but there is nothing to say you wont get dragged into a relegation battle - bigger and better squads in the past have - especially with a new manager. You might be relegated but can see you in the bottom half of the table along side the likes of West Brom and West Ham etc

Just playing devils advocate here Phil, but as a fan of Liverpool who have had one great season. Are you expecting them to push on? Or struggle? I know your less likely to lose players. But after a good season do you tend to be optimistic or cautious?

saints I believe will still have this seasons top goals scorer. They will have clyne who covered left back almost equally as well as shaw, but being 5/6 years older isn't so heralded. And we will lose lallana who will be a big miss. But in Ramirez I believe we have someone who can cover for him, if given the freedom and the shackles are removed. I think we will end up with three ball winning midfielders and a fluid front free of prowse, Rodrigues and Ramirez.

If all fans were as optimistic for their own teams as you guys seem to think I should be for my team b and a would run out of rope pretty quick!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think Soton will finish 8th-12th next season, as long as the new manager gets given more than 70% of the money for outgoing transfers.

I think we will finish 3rd as it stands. This may be higher or lower depending on the number and quality of players we add to our team.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just playing devils advocate here Phil, but as a fan of Liverpool who have had one great season. Are you expecting them to push on? Or struggle? I know your less likely to lose players. But after a good season do you tend to be optimistic or cautious?

saints I believe will still have this seasons top goals scorer. They will have clyne who covered left back almost equally as well as shaw, but being 5/6 years older isn't so heralded. And we will lose lallana who will be a big miss. But in Ramirez I believe we have someone who can cover for him, if given the freedom and the shackles are removed. I think we will end up with three ball winning midfielders and a fluid front free of prowse, Rodrigues and Ramirez.

If all fans were as optimistic for their own teams as you guys seem to think I should be for my team b and a would run out of rope pretty quick!

We are going into the CL - you cant compare the two clubs im afraid - its chalk and cheese.

We always ses the smaller clubs have the odd one of season where they surprise a few with a good finish in the league - then lose a few good players and go back to their i guess you would call it normal place in the league - mid to lower half of the table.

Its great that you are optomistic etc but you have spent ages singing the very high praises of Lallana and Lambert and now you say you can replace them ?

Mid table i think would be a decent season for you next year - consolidate being in the league

D

Deleted member 15344

I think Soton will finish 8th-12th next season, as long as the new manager gets given more than 70% of the money for outgoing transfers.

I think we will finish 3rd as it stands. This may be higher or lower depending on the number and quality of players we add to our team.

I think 3rd also and hopefully into the last 16 of the CL

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
We are going into the CL - you cant compare the two clubs im afraid - its chalk and cheese.

We always ses the smaller clubs have the odd one of season where they surprise a few with a good finish in the league - then lose a few good players and go back to their i guess you would call it normal place in the league - mid to lower half of the table.

Its great that you are optomistic etc but you have spent ages singing the very high praises of Lallana and Lambert and now you say you can replace them ?

Mid table i think would be a decent season for you next year - consolidate being in the league

Of course comparisons can be made Phil. I'm simply asking your feeling optimistic or pessimistic. Club stature is irrelevant to me. If a club has a good year I'd expect fans to be optimistic with the opposite also being true.

As as has also been said by fellow Liverpool fans when people mention a certain someone. Players leave clubs all the time and are replaced. Do I think the three players mentioned are exceptional. Yes, irreplaceable in the case if Lallana maybe. Shaw will go on to be a great IMO but currently he isn't strides ahead of Clyne. Lamberts goals were being shared this season although we now need a new penalty taker, been a long time since pens have made me nervous. lallana is the key sale and will be hardest to replace, but what would you rather I did. Wallow in self pity and capitulate expecting us to implode. We have a great youth set up that will produce more of that I'm sure. And a scouting team that in recent yard have worked wonders.

As I've already said, I expect us to consolidate. I expect anywhere from 8-12. I don't expect a relegation battle. I could be wrong, but I don't think we are some small club that's just had a good season. I think we're a team that has made steady progress and will continue to do so.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I agree with that, I've not said anywhere we will move upwards. I just don't see a relegation dogfight. Out of curiosity. Say you sign nobody else, where would you expect to finish. What with the extra games and the fact that there'll be more expectation and teams sitting back more? Your squad is quite small right now isn't if? You were admiral with giving youth a chance to a point. But can't really do that come Wednesday night in the CL.

D

Deleted member 15344

Of course comparisons can be made Phil. I'm simply asking your feeling optimistic or pessimistic. Club stature is irrelevant to me. If a club has a good year I'd expect fans to be optimistic with the opposite also being true.

As as has also been said by fellow Liverpool fans when people mention a certain someone. Players leave clubs all the time and are replaced. Do I think the three players mentioned are exceptional. Yes, irreplaceable in the case if Lallana maybe. Shaw will go on to be a great IMO but currently he isn't strides ahead of Clyne. Lamberts goals were being shared this season although we now need a new penalty taker, been a long time since pens have made me nervous. lallana is the key sale and will be hardest to replace, but what would you rather I did. Wallow in self pity and capitulate expecting us to implode. We have a great youth set up that will produce more of that I'm sure. And a scouting team that in recent yard have worked wonders.

As I've already said, I expect us to consolidate. I expect anywhere from 8-12. I don't expect a relegation battle. I could be wrong, but I don't think we are some small club that's just had a good season. I think we're a team that has made steady progress and will continue to do so.

12th last season was Swansea who until the last couple of weeks were hanging around the edges of the relegation battle. The league table is tight from 8ths down to 17th. You wont be like Cardiff etc but think will see you around the egdes along with teams like Wst Ham and Swansea and Stoke - that mid table battle

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
12th last season was Swansea who until the last couple of weeks were hanging around the edges of the relegation battle. The league table is tight from 8ths down to 17th. You wont be like Cardiff etc but think will see you around the egdes along with teams like Wst Ham and Swansea and Stoke - that mid table battle

Fair enough, as much as we disagree on most things. I generally respect your opinion on most things. I still belive you're wrong, but, that's not to say that's not just down to optimism on my part. I certainly hope we continue to play better football than west ham!!

D

Deleted member 15344

Fair enough, as much as we disagree on most things. I generally respect your opinion on most things. I still belive you're wrong, but, that's not to say that's not just down to optimism on my part. I certainly hope we continue to play better football than west ham!!

A wet fish could play better football than West Ham

If you get a decent manager and replace the players pretty well but not too radically then you will prob be at the head of that little mid table group.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree with that, I've not said anywhere we will move upwards. I just don't see a relegation dogfight. Out of curiosity. Say you sign nobody else, where would you expect to finish. What with the extra games and the fact that there'll be more expectation and teams sitting back more? Your squad is quite small right now isn't if? You were admiral with giving youth a chance to a point. But can't really do that come Wednesday night in the CL.

5th if we dont add.

People said we had a large advantage as we didn't have Europe, and it was an advantage. But we had a squad of 13 very good players, which isnt enough.

Give me CL for 5-10 years and a squad of 18-25 very good players any day of the week (probably a squad costing abetween£250-500 mill) over the other advantage though.

We will have Ibe, Coady, Wisdom, Suso(hopefully), Kelly to flesh out the squad for FA and lge cup, as they will be a year older. We still need another 4-5 very good players on top of this though. Goalie (Vorm), left back, striker (Bony or remy), attacking midfielder/winger and another centre half and I would be a happy boy.

Yes, I'm in the optimist gang as well.:thup:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
5th if we dont add.

People said we had a large advantage as we didn't have Europe, and it was an advantage. But we had a squad of 13 very good players, which isnt enough.

Give me CL for 5-10 years and a squad of 18-25 very good players any day of the week (probably a squad costing abetween£250-500 mill) over the other advantage though.

We will have Ibe, Coady, Wisdom, Suso(hopefully), Kelly to flesh out the squad for FA and lge cup, as they will be a year older. We still need another 4-5 very good players on top of this though. Goalie (Vorm), left back, striker (Bony or remy), attacking midfielder/winger and another centre half and I would be a happy boy.

Yes, I'm in the optimist gang as well.:thup:

I think remy would be perfect for you. Bony may be expensive. £14m to Swansea last year so will want a lot after a good season.

I think a defensive coach is more important than any more CBS. You have about 7 of em lol. I think if Rodgers is will to sacrifice just a bit of your cavalier approach it would do the world of good. By all means hammer teams from the off. Just maybe be a bit more sensible once 2 up. That might also come with a other year of Gerrard Henderson as both had to change game to be the midfield pair.
Not sure how you coefficient is after absence. Probably still second seeds which will help with progress, 3rd seeds can lead to horrible groups.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I certainly hope we continue to play better football than west ham!!

I agree the football is dire at the moment, i'm not renewing this year as it was painful to watch (apart from when we turned you over 3-1 ;)). However i'd much rather be in our position, rather than yours at the moment.