Rickie Lambert

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Olic is 34 - Sturridge is in his early 20's.

At the same age I would have taken Olic - quality striker.

Matic and Fernandinho are different types of players as well

Lallana has had a good season - played well no doubt and think he could be a good player for our squad but let's not go to,overboard on him until he we see more than a good season

He was good year before that, and the two before that (albeit in lower league).
At the end of the day, if he goes it'll be for £25m, but it's not happening til end of July.

Re the other players mentioned, whilst they do have the greater experience, neither was in particularly great leagues either.

As as I said, having watched him play 200 games plus, lallana can play anywhere from midfield forward and other than a ball winner is better than both of this players.

When end you sign him, I've no doubt he'll be first team within 3 months.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Oh I agree that he is over priced - £20mil is the absolute max and even then I think it's too much but can understand Soton wanting more as they need to give Bournmouth a fair amount

For a foreign player he'd maybe be over priced but as British £25m is fair IMO, Liverpool know well enough about over paying for British players.

D

Deleted member 15344

For a foreign player he'd maybe be over priced but as British £25m is fair IMO, Liverpool know well enough about over paying for British players.

Put it this way we paid £22mil for Suarez

£8mil for Coutinho

£12mil for Sturridge

£25mil for Lallana is massively over priced compared to those.

It's not a fair price it's about £10mil over but it's the price we need to pay.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Put it this way we paid £22mil for Suarez

£8mil for Coutinho

£12mil for Sturridge

£25mil for Lallana is massively over priced compared to those.

It's not a fair price it's about £10mil over but it's the price we need to pay.
£20m for Henderson (starting to earn that value) , £35m for Carroll, was it £18m for Allen and Johnson also? So using them he's superb value.

Tot for tat re signings (from both of us). Do you genuinely think a midfielder with a proven record. Who will score and assist double figures from open play is only worth £15m to a title challenging champions league playing side?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

£20m for Henderson (starting to earn that value) , £35m for Carroll, was it £18m for Allen and Johnson also? So using them he's superb value.

£16mil for Henderson and £15mil for Allen - both overpriced. And everyone knows the Carroll price was massively wrong - doesn't justify lumping £10mil onto £15mil players

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
£16mil for Henderson and £15mil for Allen - both overpriced. And everyone knows the Carroll price was massively wrong - doesn't justify lumping £10mil onto £15mil players

Tot for tat re signings (from both of us). Do you genuinely think a midfielder with a proven record. Who will score and assist double figures from open play is only worth £15m to a title challenging champions league playing side?

D

Deleted member 15344

He has had one good season in the Prem so far - hasnt been proven at CL level or International level so yes i think £15mil woudl be a fair price for him.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
He has had one good season in the Prem so far - hasnt been proven at CL level or International level so yes i think £15mil woudl be a fair price for him.
Fair enough, I think the list of players who've gone for more than that after one decent season would suggest otherwise. But I think I'll wait til July 14th before further commenting.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Our scouting network is europewide, not championship and below. Although Ings wouldn't be a bad shout.
Slightly dismissive comment on championship players. A token mention off a player that most football fans know, and is now in the premiership with Burnley. Having spoken to Burnley supporters they rate him more highly than Rodriquez.

Forgotten that Southampton are such a big club they do not need to look in the Championship. How many seasons is it you have been in the premiership in the last ten years.:whistle:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Slightly dismissive comment on championship players. A token mention off a player that most football fans know, and is now in the premiership with Burnley. Having spoken to Burnley supporters they rate him more highly than Rodriquez.

Forgotten that Southampton are such a big club they do not need to look in the Championship. How many seasons is it you have been in the premiership in the last ten years.:whistle:

Not really dismissive, more optimistic. Most clubs that come up and don't strengthen with players from leagues other than the championship struggle. That's just the way it is, most players are in championship as that's their level. Harsh but true, so to suggest we will look elsewhere is because we will.

But yes, in the last 40 years we did spend a few years in the lower leagues, fortunately we've worked our way back up, hopefully to stay for sometime. With a blend of home grown and scouted players.

Of course I know saints are only a little club, unlike reading. Never even knew your fans disliked us so much til will faced you in the lower leagues.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Not really dismissive, more optimistic. Most clubs that come up and don't strengthen with players from leagues other than the championship struggle. That's just the way it is, most players are in championship as that's their level. Harsh but true, so to suggest we will look elsewhere is because we will.

But yes, in the last 40 years we did spend a few years in the lower leagues, fortunately we've worked our way back up, hopefully to stay for sometime. With a blend of home grown and scouted players.

Of course I know saints are only a little club, unlike reading. Never even knew your fans disliked us so much til will faced you in the lower leagues.

Sorry but you stated you are too big to scout in the championship, which I find very strange, and to be honest I don't believe. We have had scouts at games from bigger teams than Southampton, and I am sure the likes of Leicester, Burnley, Derby have had a lot more.

Top clubs have a lot of players on loan at lower league teams, and they might just send scouts out to see how they are playing , and to look at other players.:mmm:

Please don't believe all you read on football forums. The majority of Reading fans couldn't care less about Southampton. Now if you were a West Ham, Brighton or Swindon supporter ...........;)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sorry but you stated you are too big to scout in the championship, which I find very strange, and to be honest I don't believe. We have had scouts at games from bigger teams than Southampton, and I am sure the likes of Leicester, Burnley, Derby have had a lot more.

Top clubs have a lot of players on loan at lower league teams, and they might just send scouts out to see how they are playing , and to look at other players.:mmm:

Please don't believe all you read on football forums. The majority of Reading fans couldn't care less about Southampton. Now if you were a West Ham, Brighton or Swindon supporter ...........;)

I don't read anything about reading. Simply gauging it from the comments I've personally heard or read written to me on forums from your fans. The usual such as we're a small club, Le Tiss was rubbish as are lallana and lambert etc etc.

Where re did I actually write we were to big to scout the championship. I simply said our scouting pool would not be for players just relegated or plying their trade there as you said we'd be looking at thise such players once we sold ours at last minute. I'm under no illusion as to our size. But as a team which has spent as long as most in the top flight for the last half century, with a large fan base and top class facilities. I feel we deserve to be in the prem as much as anyone 'deserves' to as such.

As as stated by our board, we have a scout network that encompasses all Europe and beyond. We may well sign players from the championship, but I'd not be surprised if we do not.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sorry but the team will be weaker, and even if you have £60 million to spend you will struggle to find top players that want to go to Southampton. Players in the championship, those at teams just relegated from the Premiership, but players from teams in the top 10 or Europe.:mmm:

Think you will struggle next season, but happy to be proved wrong. Well not that happy.;) You can have Adkins back to start with if you like.

Your original post I responded to, I said we wouldn't be scouting championship and below as you believe. I don't think we will, how many have we signed from championship since we got promoted?

thats not to say the players that got us to where we are weren't good or good enough. Just simply that with a continental manager his targets will most likely be continental. A trend I feel will continue of we get koeman.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't read anything about reading. Simply gauging it from the comments I've personally heard or read written to me on forums from your fans. The usual such as we're a small club, Le Tiss was rubbish as are lallana and lambert etc etc.

Where re did I actually write we were to big to scout the championship. I simply said our scouting pool would not be for players just relegated or plying their trade there as you said we'd be looking at thise such players once we sold ours at last minute. I'm under no illusion as to our size. But as a team which has spent as long as most in the top flight for the last half century, with a large fan base and top class facilities. I feel we deserve to be in the prem as much as anyone 'deserves' to as such.

As as stated by our board, we have a scout network that encompasses all Europe and beyond. We may well sign players from the championship, but I'd not be surprised if we do not.

Don't believe it. As a Fulham fan, I have no doubt PL clubs will be scouting the likes of Hangeland and others on the lookout for a player looking to move on. Southampton WILL be scouting the CL and the lower divisions. Every club's at it. You may well have scouts in Europe but you also have those in the lower echelons of the British game too

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Don't believe it. As a Fulham fan, I have no doubt PL clubs will be scouting the likes of Hangeland and others on the lookout for a player looking to move on. Southampton WILL be scouting the CL and the lower divisions. Every club's at it. You may well have scouts in Europe but you also have those in the lower echelons of the British game too

Generally speaking, teams that have just gained promotion or staved of relegation cherry pick the players of relegated teams. We will have a presence in scouting the lower leagues. But will that be where outer targets are? I don't for one second think they will. The proof will be in the pudding as they say. But if they sign hangeland I'll be gutted. Worthy of arsenal a few years ago. I wouldn't touch him now.

granted i I only saw anew of your games, including at our place. But how many of your players performed to a level to entice too many teams that finished comfortably mid table this season?

i mean in disrespect to Fulham, but I wouldn't want to many as they didn't seem to work hard eniugh last year.
Id take your keeper, but that's about it.

Im im a football supporter so eternally optimistic, you have to be as a saints fan. So until proved otherwise I'll be hoping my team push on, as they have done for the last five years with the project of signing players to improve the team and squad. Not just make up the numbers.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Generally speaking, teams that have just gained promotion or staved of relegation cherry pick the players of relegated teams. We will have a presence in scouting the lower leagues. But will that be where outer targets are? I don't for one second think they will. The proof will be in the pudding as they say. But if they sign hangeland I'll be gutted. Worthy of arsenal a few years ago. I wouldn't touch him now.

Point remains the same. Other players from the relegated sides and those that just missed out will be on Southamptons radar. You aren't that good a side that all your signings will be from the top end of Europe and a good pro from a CL side will do a job for you and balance the books nicely too. I think your estimation is perhaps a little too high of your sides expectations and ability. A good PL side but not one that will ever do more than look at Europa league as an outside bet

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Point remains the same. Other players from the relegated sides and those that just missed out will be on Southamptons radar. You aren't that good a side that all your signings will be from the top end of Europe and a good pro from a CL side will do a job for you and balance the books nicely too. I think your estimation is perhaps a little too high of your sides expectations and ability. A good PL side but not one that will ever do more than look at Europa league as an outside bet

Im not saying that we will even make Europa homer. You've seen more of Fulham than me this year, how many of your players would improve soton right now?

in the last few seasons we've been making £10-£15m signings. Quite simply that won't be on a championship player. I would much rather we spent our budget of £50-£100m depending on sales and whatever latest reports are true on players that improve the squad and nit make up the numbers. I'm happy for our youth team to fill the gaps.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Burn, Kacaniklic, off the top of my head. Maybe Stecklenburg in goal too

Sorry mate, we must watch different teams. I'd take stek as Boruc getting on. But I'd not put any in our first team. Had a quick google and I'd probably take either, ruddy, Marshall or stek as a spare keeper. Mutch and caulker for first team rotation. Maybe I over estimate my team. But I wouldn't be looking to sign any other players from the relegated teams. If we sell 15 players by August maybe I'll reassess.