RickG Memorial Trophy Day (Coventry Golf Club)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
A belated applaud for a terrific day. LiverpoolPhil, Junior and Michael from GM were perfect companions with some fabulous golf and sensitive support when things were not going too well for me. Standing on the first tee I would happily have taken the 31 points which I miraculously achieved. It was a pleasure to spend 4+ hours in their company.

Great day and even better company. Thanks to Jim, Mick and Phil for a great game and to Robin and all his helpers for making it happen.

Robin, your speech was touching and Rick would have been smiling from on high because of what you did and the money you raised for the BHF. His legacy lives on through you, through Rich aswell for H4H and you both should be immensely proud of yourselves.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I would just like to thank everyone firstly for all their kind words, and secondly to all of you who not only attended a great day, but if you couldn't attend, still contributed in some way for the first of many, I hope, Rickg Memorial Trophy Day's.

I have written and passed on my thanks to everyone who was involved in the Rickg Memorial Trophy Day which was held at my club on Friday 17th August, exactly 2 years on since Rick passed away after collapsing on his beloved Centurion golf course in St Albans.

We had golfers from all over the country attend of which some play at some very prestigious and well known golf clubs, and all of them loved the quality of the course and especially mentioned our 'fantastic greens' as being the best they had played on for some time. I have duly passed these comments on to our club secretary and head green-keeper Kevin Brown.

The food and service was also very good and I have thanked our catering staff accordingly, I will also raise this in my committee meeting on Friday.

Thanks also went to Martin and his Professional team, not just for his personal sponsorship, but for their overwhelming support in making everyone feel welcome and ensuring everyone knew where to go and keeping everyone engaged with his inflatable darts which raised an extra £50.

I have sent Martin a link regarding all the fantastic comments the club has received on the Golf Monthly Forum from such a widespread of people of all ages and abilities within the golfing fraternity, and I believe he is now a member on the site, so I'll have to start behaving myself now :smirk:

Anyway, this was quite an emotional day for me, and for some others who attended, and a fantastic day was enjoyed by all.

We have raised £1,518.18 (includes Gift Aid) for The British Heart Foundation through my Just Giving page to which you all played a big part in, so again, thank you.

I have in my letter to the club requested a repeat booking for Friday August 16th 2019, as soon as I have any further details or confirmations on this, I will announce it accordingly.

Winners & Riders.

Nearest the pins

5th Adasko
7th Mike Chapman
15th Grumpy Jock
17th James Mason

Nearest in 2

Imurg

Longest drives

6th Captainron
16th James Mason

Rickg Memorial Trophy

3rd Upsidedown 39 points
2nd Captainron 41 points

1st NW-Jocko 42 points

NW Joclo Winner 2018.jpg

I shall put up some photo's later as I'm off to play for my A team now, but once again, thank you everyone :clap:

from a very proud Coventry Golf Club & Golf Monthly Forum member :cool:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Robin have you approached Centurion to see if they would be willing to host I?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Robin have you approached Centurion to see if they would be willing to host I?

No, I wrote to the club and offered an open invite to all and any members that would like to attend Coventry, I copied this to at least 4 different contacts I had their and the club didn't reply or respond to me.

They (Centurion) have their own memorial day so as far as I'm concerned, the relationship between them and anyone outside of the club has now run its course.

Anyway, I have no intention in taking this on the road, it will be an annual event at my club as I feel its more central, we have more than enough meets in the south anyway, the last place Rick and I played together was at Coventry GC.

I've had no response from my club as yet with regards to next years proposed date, but they are very busy currently hosting the Ladies Amateur Stroke play Championship.

When I have more details I'll post them.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Bit late on this as just recovering from Rewind Festival :cheers:

Thoroughly enjoyable day at Coventry GC. Wonderful organisation again by Fish & his 'team'. Lovely course in great nick. Great playing partners in Mike Chapman & Drive4Show (Gordan). Nice touch with the ribbon which I will be sporting on my cap until the end of this season :thup:

Well done on the sum raised for a worthy cause. Here's to next year's event & many more besides...

p.s. Did anyone see where Fish's ball went off 1st Tee...? :rofl: [video=youtube_share;hwu_IARk6Bo]https://youtu.be/hwu_IARk6Bo[/video]
No, I wrote to the club and offered an open invite to all and any members that would like to attend Coventry, I copied this to at least 4 different contacts I had their and the club didn't reply or respond to me.

They (Centurion) have their own memorial day so as far as I'm concerned, the relationship between them and anyone outside of the club has now run its course.

Anyway, I have no intention in taking this on the road, it will be an annual event at my club as I feel its more central, we have more than enough meets in the south anyway, the last place Rick and I played together was at Coventry GC.

I've had no response from my club as yet with regards to next years proposed date, but they are very busy currently hosting the Ladies Amateur Stroke play Championship.

When I have more details I'll post them.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It was a little high, not far short of the fog disc, had to chip out at an angle which got me to the 150yd post, just landed right of the green pin high with my approach shot, chipped on and 2-putt for a 2 points :cool:

I note Mark got a 6 :smirk: but John actually got a birdie, he obviously got overly excited as it all went down hill from then :whoo:

Careful boys, I have all your cards :ears:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was a little high, not far short of the fog disc, had to chip out at an angle which got me to the 150yd post, just landed right of the green pin high with my approach shot, chipped on and 2-putt for a 2 points :cool:

I note Mark got a 6 :smirk: but John actually got a birdie, he obviously got overly excited as it all went down hill from then :whoo:

Tap one down the pipe, cosy a hybrid to 20ft and roll it in for eagle.....simples.

...........dont ask about the rest of the round tho lol

D

Deleted member 15344

Tap one down the pipe, cosy a hybrid to 20ft and roll it in for eagle.....simples.

...........dont ask about the rest of the round tho lol

Some nice easy eagle holes out there on that day 👍😉

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Harsh, but fair. Never saw the hole until reaching the green, then three stabbed from 20', luckily no one was videoing me at the time :whistle:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
For those that haven't seen the day's flyer from the day, here is a copy of the pages I produced and had printed.

As my Pro announced, for all those that attended they could use the flyer as a fourball voucher for only £100, so that's only £25 each to play our course, which was a great offer from my club's Pro :thup:

If you forgot to take yours away I'm happy to post it out, so please PM if you would like your flyer/voucher posted.

AAA.jpg

A1.jpg

B1.jpg

A.jpg

B.jpg

AA.jpg

My Just Giving Page closes at the end of the month automatically, so any late donations can still be made until then, we are currently standing at £1,543.81, so on behalf of Karen, Jodie and myself, thank you all so much :thup:

I was also asked by some on the day if they could have their sponsor cards which I made and had laminated, again please PM if you would like me to send yours out to you.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
My Just Giving site for this first of hopefully many annual events raised £1543.81 for Karen’s (Ricks wife) chosen charity, The British Heart Foundation :cool:

I have been contacted by an area manager due to this and they want to get behind and support us more next year due to the support & visibilty we gave them.

The JG site for this maiden event has now closed but I will be creating a new site very soon for next year once I have confirmed the date with my club. (Please see new thread & poll)

Thank you to everyone who supported the day and event, it’s always a worry how a first meet of this size will go, but you all made it very easy for me and I thank you sincerely for that (y)

Robin