RickG Memorial Trophy Day (Coventry Golf Club)

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mmm...can it be a great round finishing bogey, bogey, bogey.....granted, still under par...but......:mmm::clap::thup:

Bloody hell you're a glass half full person aren't you :rolleyes: Also I parred 17 ;)

Thanks again to Robin and everyone involved in organising/running the day, as I said it's easy for us to pay our money and just turn up and play, the effort that goes into arranging these big days is appreciated :thup:

Really enjoyed the course, greens were as good as anything I've played on all year, with the amount of slope on them amazed they didn't find out my shonky putting much earlier in the day :rofl:

Great company aswell, had a good laugh which is the main thing on day like this and good to have a few beers afterwards. I didn't know Rick as well as some but was fortunate enough to have a couple of nights out on the beer and rounds with him, he really was a great guy and yesterday was a fitting tribute so well done Robin and everyone who supported :clap:

D

Deleted member 1418

Mmm...can it be a great round finishing bogey, bogey, bogey.....granted, still under par...but......:mmm::clap::thup:

No - surprised NWJ didn't just throw his clubs in the bin and just drive off home in a strop......!!! 😉😂😂😂

Blimey that's some going - I'd be well pleased!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
No - surprised NWJ didn't just throw his clubs in the bin and just drive off home in a strop......!!! 😉😂😂😂

Blimey that's some going - I'd be well pleased!

The Pro's response to hearing that Jocko was 4 under through 12 was amazing. He'd been ticking along at 1 under without ever breaking a sweat. He then went birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie. You could actually see him change gear. Was a great sight. At the end he was waiting for Jocko to come in to make sure he beat him 😂

D

Deleted Member 1156

Robin, if only you had put a bit of effort in this could have been a really good day ;)

Joking aside, a very well planned and executed day. Everybody I spoke to had an excellent day!

Take a bow Mr Hopkins :thup:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Robin, if only you had put a bit of effort in this could have been a really good day ;)

Joking aside, a very well planned and executed day. Everybody I spoke to had an excellent day!

Take a bow Mr Hopkins :thup:

Very well put Gordon. He did look very "tired and emotional" when he left us in some weird young'uns trendy bar type place at midnight last night. Must've been tired as he was very wobbly on his feet. 😂

D

Deleted member 15344

The day was exactly what Rick would have loved - beer , laugh , golf and mates

Its was great to see some new faces and the old ugly mugs - any meet with the NW guys is one to treasure , was really enjoyable playing with Andy , Jim and Mike - some great golf was played

Brilliant score from Iain - thats a superb round

And finally to Robin - simply put - Rick would have been proud mate :thup:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did he have a date with the empetigo monster :eek:

Oh god, remember her from last night....I feel itchy.;)

Great, great day and at a little beaut of a course, was very impressed. A lovely spot for the lunch and to share a bevvy with friends old and new with. Not sure if many know it but Robin paid for all of the food himself, and it went down very well, indeed.

Well the north won the drinking competition, again, as well as the golf one. Thanks for everyone who joined in, we raised £130 to go into the pot, and the rest was spent on Estrella Dam. :D Nice one Gordon and Danny, the captains.

Had a great day listening to Bill Elliott's stories, who is also quite modest, to boot. A man who has met and interviewed Muhammad Ali, Bill Shankly, Clough and also covered the north west football scene when we won the league every year (yes, he's dead old;)) and the great and good of this great sport of ours. Great support from GM, as well. Thanks to Fragger and Capt Ron, who enjoyed the chill pill, I gave him.

Thanks to Rob's little helpers and to Rob. A great day, brilliantly organised at a cracking venue and with a good chance to meet up again with a great band of brothers who span the length and breadth of this land.

RIP Rick, he did you proud. :cheers:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
And congratulations to NW Jocko on a great round of golf to take the spoils. :clap:

It certainly was , he went off like a train and kept it going although not sure playing 16 up the 10th fairway was part of the plan :):) Was a pleasure to watch you put an awesome round together and to finish it off, hope we can catch up for another knock at your home track in September. Also thanks to TXL who had a fund of entertaining stories and Martin the Pro who showed us round and where not to go on the odd occasion :rofl:
A top day :)

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
I can only really echo what everyone has said before - a really fun day that Rick would have loved to have been part of. Great to see some old faces and meet some new ones

It's a real privilege and joy to be part of days like these

I had a great time playing with Robin, Danny (7 years or whatever it was since we teed it up together at Hillside) and our pro Liam who was a good lad and real talent. I know I'll be looking out for his scores starting next week at the Czech Masters

Monumental effort from Robin organising the event, superbly backed on the day by Old Skier, Full Throttle, MikeJohnChapman and LiverpoolPhil. Plaudits to Coventry GC especially Martin the pro for supporting the day so well.

to all those who played well, well played - especially NWJocko - and looking forward to seeing lots of you again at H4H

gregbwfc

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Robin, thanks to you and the lads who helped out in setting this up.
Had a truly enjoyable day at your club.
Didn't know Rick as well as some of you,but I know he'd have enjoyed every minute of the day (and night too :cheers::cheers:), you did him proud mate :thup:

Thought the course was great - way too hard for me, best greens I've putted on this year.

Good to meet some new faces from the forum - thanks to Ian, Mike and Paul for your company (and for shouting fore left after most of my shots :rofl::rofl: )
Hope we get to do this again, the company and laughs more than make up for any bad golf.

Oh and thanks to LP for the sunscreen, cheers mate :thup:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
What a great day. Rick would have been very proud, and so should you be Robin for organising it. Thanks to all the helpers on the day, and Coventry Golf Club for making us so welcome. Course was in great nick, and I can see why Robin loves being a member. Food was good as well, and very generous of our host.:thup:

Good to catch up with old mates, and some new ones. Enjoyed playing with Patrick, Nick and Scott. At least I beat someone on the day Scott.:whistle:;)

Think we should have some forum cuts for NWJocko and Tyson. 42 and 41 points.:eek:

Hopefully see a lot of you again at West Hill and Liphook.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello all. I would like to reiterate the previous comments made. The day ran superbly, and Fish and his team of helpers had everything running like clockwork. I didn't know Rickg - but I am sure he would have been proud of all the effort. The course was very good and the greens quick and true. Great group in Wrighty, Birchy and richart. Good to meet you guys and some good golf played amongst us (back 9 for Birchy!). I was happy with a respectable 34 points. Thanks for welcoming me - hope to make more days in the future :thup:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
A belated applaud for a terrific day. LiverpoolPhil, Junior and Michael from GM were perfect companions with some fabulous golf and sensitive support when things were not going too well for me. Standing on the first tee I would happily have taken the 31 points which I miraculously achieved. It was a pleasure to spend 4+ hours in their company.

D

Deleted member 1740

A belated applaud for a terrific day. LiverpoolPhil, Junior and Michael from GM were perfect companions with some fabulous golf and sensitive support when things were not going too well for me. Standing on the first tee I would happily have taken the 31 points which I miraculously achieved. It was a pleasure to spend 4+ hours in their company.

You wouldnt think Phil in real life is the same person on here would you?:rofl: