Reverse grip

hook81

Visit site
Hi folks,
iv recently got into golf and have to say im really enjoying it. I have a natural reverse grip, its the only way im comfortable swinging, and wondered if anyone else has as well and if the have any tips? the trainer at our range is amazed how straight i hit, obviously i lose power with drivers but im not looking to win the next open, just enjoy games with my mates etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The lowest handicap golfer at my club is off 1.5 and plays this way. He is a youngish bloke, late 20's. He doesn't get much height but he does get a lot of power through his raw strength. There are restrictions with this, your own, not rule related, but if it works for you then stick with it.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
One of our club's best players has this grip and he's won the club champs an equal record number of times. Right handed player who wears his glove on his right (top) hand. Just goes to show there is more than one way to do it. He gets pretty good distance on his driver too.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've come across 4 or 5 cack handed players and all were 4 handicap or lower.

As a famous golfer or teacher once said " there are many ways to play this great game ".

What matters is the result of hitting the ball.

Ever seen Eamon Darcy or Jim Furyk swing a club ?

Jeeze, some folk even swing the club the wrong way !!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seen only one, low hooky but repeatable swing. Hit it MILES and Miles.

Only issue was height of the shot.

Can see the advantages but it's not for everyone I guess

hook81

Visit site
cheers folks, good to know there are people that play well with such a grip. il be sticking to it for sure, proper been bitten by the golf bug!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't imagine hitting it that way. As Lump says, maybe as a golfer you're actually left-handed so it might be worth trying out a left handed iron and see how that feels.

Being left-handed is probably advantageous for bargains, whenever I'm looking at second hand clubs the lefties are always cheaper! (demand lower I guess)

rindin180

Visit site
I've been playing like this for the last 3.5 years, started of with a handicap of 23 and am now down to 12, it's how you feel yourself when playing as a lot of the game is mental, if you start thinking of what way your hands are you'll soon pick up the negative thoughts.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Tried it t'other evening with my putter, talk about cack-handed, I'd just as well have been putting away from the pin...

Wouldn't dream of trying it off a tee or with an iron, probably end up killing some poor sod...

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure I'd want to do a full swing with reversed hands but I have done some practice chip shots this way. Seemed to work well, however I've not used it in anger yet.

D

Deleted member 23344

A friend and I were on a golf break in Portugal and we arrived at a tee just as two guys were driving off ... and BOTH of them were using a reverse grip. Neither of us had ever seen that before, but both of them hit reasonable drives. As others have said, whatever works for you.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As has been hinted by various posters it will make you right hand dominant and may lead to big hooks but I use the standard grip and can hit big hooks so who knows.

It will however mean that you can never take advantage of some of the great but simple training aids such as

001.jpg

G.U.R

Head Pro
Visit site
I've recently started using it for putting and it has really helped my distance control meaning less 3 putts.

Doesn't Matthew Fitzpatrick use it with his shorter Iron play?