Returned to my 2008 irons ...

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds ridiculous, I have had a few sets in between.
I diagnosed a swing fault, not sure whether it was related to me protecting myself after an injury. But I have worked to correct it.
However I have dropped the callaway OS irons for my Mizuno MP52 s, distances are less but they seem to be in keeping with the par 3s and second shots in.
I also feel more comfortable playing chips and pitches because of the feel.

Anyone else had a similar experience or has my season been so desperate I am clutching at straws!!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm still playing with my 2008 irons, that probably says something about my attitude to money rather than my ability with them though.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
As above I'm still using my 2009 AP2s. If I went back to my previous irons, it would be my 1984 Titleist DTRs (Which I still have!)

dronfield

Visit site
As above I'm still using my 2009 AP2s. If I went back to my previous irons, it would be my 1984 Titleist DTRs (Which I still have!)

I had a set of DTRs, thought they were great clubs.

in 2011 i bought a "used" set of Mizuno JPX800, so guess they cant be far off 10 years old.

Dont see any reason to change them - the bad shots are not down to the clubs, but the duffer holding them.

Rich

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not ridiculous, I’m still playing MP-57s from 2007.

They are in good condition and I’m often complimented on them.

I’ve shot 3/3 rounds in the 80s this year and hit some of my best ever shots.

Yes I am often one or even two “clubs” shorter than most playing newer irons but I don’t think that itself matters.

For me the gain from newer gear would be minimal. I don’t expect them to be leaving my bag for a good few years yet.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I did go back to my old I25's for a short while but decided I'd paid for a newer model and it was my fault if they weren't going straight so shape up the game fool and went back to the I series. Still use the I25's at the range in winter as I had an issue with the weight bar coming out on a couple (9 iron still missing its) and don't want to hit regularly off hard mats and risk similar to the I series irons

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought the Taylor Made TD irons in the late 80s.

I switched to the Ping S59 for a few years and gave my TDs to a friends son.
Fortunately I found another set of TDs on Ebay so sold the Pings and still have the TDs.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t notice the yardage differences in the long irons but gapping feels better overall.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I think the only set of irons I have ever owned and so still use today we're released around 2008 if that counts? 😂

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’m in the never go back camp. I always sell the irons I’ve just replaced, forcing me to commit to the new set.

That said, if it works for you absolutely go with it.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought a set of Mizuno MP 53 from eBay for £180 must be over 8 years ago now and never felt like I’ve needed anything different. Play about 3 times a week so they owe me nothing.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m in the never go back camp. I always sell the irons I’ve just replaced, forcing me to commit to the new set.

That said, if it works for you absolutely go with it.
I do that normally, but this set was lying around with a set of Mizuno TP18s which I couldn’t part with

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I still play with my Wilson Staff Di9 irons. I have dropped my handicap to 12 this summer, shot my first two rounds under 80 with 76 my best and hit a hole in one. Why change? Money certainly comes into it as well though

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I still play with my Wilson Staff Di9 irons. I have dropped my handicap to 12 this summer, shot my first two rounds under 80 with 76 my best and hit a hole in one. Why change? Money certainly comes into it as well though

Same as me. First person I've known who uses them as well

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have a set of Callaway X14 Pro series which date back to 2001. Since I bought them I've had 3 or 4 other sets of irons and I keep going back to them.

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I replaced my Mizuno JPX 850 forged with some Adams Idea Back CB2 which I bought off Fleabay for 85 quid and really like them. But it wasnt the heads I wanted to change but the shafts as they were the only clubs I could find that had some KBS Tour 90s in them.....