Do we "learn" to hit particular clubs?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
That's good news for me then as i'm hitting mine well.

Off 21 your purchase was probably a bit silly really maybe a £50 club and learning to hit it more consistent would have been better.
I also spent £329 pound on a C/F driver and gave up on it after a couple of months.
Was it the manufacturers fault?of course not it was the numpty swinging it.

There is not a thing I can disagree with in your statement ( except from the numpty bit) I was new to golf again and was building up my bag from starters and a nigh on £400 outlay for the driver (that was gonna last me years) that did everything apart from stir your tea, Was what I was after. TM PR sold it to me.

Your second sentence hit the nail on the head. it was a silly purchase. but and its a massive but TM never told me that it was for the better player. And the fact that you have stated I would be better with a £50 club. I was, I had a G15 which was a fairway finder. But I wanted more distance than the 200 yd that G 15 was finding on a regular basis.
That is why I am convinced that to higher players Hcap, £300-400 may be better spent on lessons than a driver/clubs.

Strange thing is that yup ave mentioned I am more than happy with my putter. An odyssey two ball. The PR on that is to line up the three "balls" follow your line and length and hey presto. that "odyssey" PR works for me and surprisingly I have not been tempted to swap my putter like some folk do.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is not a thing I can disagree with in your statement ( except from the numpty bit) I was new to golf again and was building up my bag from starters and a nigh on £400 outlay for the driver (that was gonna last me years) that did everything apart from stir your tea, Was what I was after. TM PR sold it to me.

Your second sentence hit the nail on the head. it was a silly purchase. but and its a massive but TM never told me that it was for the better player. And the fact that you have stated I would be better with a £50 club. I was, I had a G15 which was a fairway finder. But I wanted more distance than the 200 yd that G 15 was finding on a regular basis.
That is why I am convinced that to higher players Hcap, £300-400 may be better spent on lessons than a driver/clubs.

Strange thing is that yup ave mentioned I am more than happy with my putter. An odyssey two ball. The PR on that is to line up the three "balls" follow your line and length and hey presto. that "odyssey" PR works for me and surprisingly I have not been tempted to swap my putter like some folk do.

Misunderstanding Tashboy I was calling myself a numpty.

I had money and decided to spend it knowing I was wasting my money but I did it anyhow.

I had a Nike Machspeed and I hit it very well and it cost me £50 a big mistake was I sold it because others didn't like the look of the square head however it never bothered me.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Misunderstanding Tashboy I was calling myself a numpty.

I had money and decided to spend it knowing I was wasting my money but I did it anyhow.

I had a Nike Machspeed and I hit it very well and it cost me £50 a big mistake was I sold it because others didn't like the look of the square head however it never bothered me.

No misunderstanding I thought you were calling SLDR swingers numptys. Which to an extent I would agree with. I probably would of used the term er. Numptys.

what did you go back to or have you stuck with the SLDR.

D

Deleted member 15344

I had to work hard to get my R1 working well but when i moved to the SLDR it seems to work like a glove with ease. I have the odd bad drive but thats due to me and a poor swing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say a custom fitting is great but it's not a guaranteed path to good scores, nor is it a pre-requisite to getting clubs that feel good and perform well. I've had C/F and off the shelf and both at time worked for me. There have been times when I've bought clubs that I've not go on with (R9 irons, G25 - more for vanity reasons) but again these weren't bad clubs per se, certainly not in the SLDR camp as per the OP

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
No misunderstanding I thought you were calling SLDR swingers numptys. Which to an extent I would agree with. I probably would of used the term er. Numptys.

what did you go back to or have you stuck with the SLDR.

No sticking with the SLDR and going to work hard to make it work I feel there's an extra 20 yards to be had over my 3 wood if I can learn to hit it well.
I have hit drivers well in the past but the destructive ones cost me dearly.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hahaha after excluding tour pros, as they have a bit of game. Although I've already said that, you convieniently chose to ignore.

Pros also take too long to play golf, shall I copy that too?

OK, so which, if any of those variables of fitting also apply to average players. You have already conceded shaft flex (although you didn't mention weight which some consider more important). Anyway, what else?

Not all pros take too long. There are a new breed who get on with it nicely, like Rory.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think sometimes its not a learning to hit thing, i think its a comfort thing. I had a ping g15 driver that I couldnt hit straight for toffee, I then went to get fit for my new driver, I was hitting all of them long and straight, some even with a baby draw. I just felt more comfortable over the ball with a new Driver, I didnt feel confident with my old club and obviously that affected me. For me golf is a massive confidence game, I change putters like Hobbit is changing irons this season as i just cant get comfortable with the ones ive used.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I had to work hard to get my R1 working well but when i moved to the SLDR it seems to work like a glove with ease. I have the odd bad drive but thats due to me and a poor swing.
I initially found the R1 difficult to hit, but I took to the range and played around with the various adjustments until it was easy to hit, and it's been great ever since. Mostly a case of increasing the loft, as it hit the ball very low on the standard 10 degree setting. Seem to hit most of the fairways with it. :):thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What a silly statement. Our swings vary, for sure, but they tend to vary within certain parameters.

If it is true that custom fitting is nonsense, I presume you have a bag of mixed L, R, S and X flex clubs, some 5 degrees upright, some 4 degrees flat, some over length, some underlength?

If you say otherwise, then you have agreed that at least some degree of custom fitting is needed.

That's basically me :) I've never bothered spending much time trying out clubs before buying them - and never had any custom fitting. I just learn how to hit a club and get on with it. Maybe I would have been better off taking my clubs seriously - but to be honest I am more concerned about my swing - sort that and the club in my hand will generally do the job it is designed to do.

Sorry - though I know that some might find custom fitting invaluable - but I am a serious sceptic on the whole club fitting thing and whether or not it is the fitting that introduces any improvements.

But that is just me.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have little doubt that I adjust my swing subtly over time to clubs. The fitting process covers 90% of the issue but the remaining 10% is that ethereal 'feel' element that comes with time and hours spent with a club. As I've gotten older and better I've changed clubs less and less as I know how they feel and respond in a variety of situations and can coax more out of my swing having that confidence. My irons need replacing (or re-grooving) as a majority of them have caved in and badly worn grooves but just don't want to change.

Care needs to be taken purchasing stuff to the right specification and we need to ensure we 'fancy' the club but otherwise stick with it and build it into your game. I'd be the worst salesperson. Ever.

EuanRoss

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You learn to hit clubs. I've only ever bought ebay, of off the shelf stuff.
Custom fitting is nonsense, but only because our swings change all the time.

I couldn't agree more. I could go for a custom fit and swing the club 20 different ways. On the course, if I want to hit it low or high, draw or fade, held into the wind or let the wind take it, I'll swing the club differently and approach the ball differently

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do make some adjustments to a couple of my clubs. Mainly because they react worse than the others to my iffy swing. :eek:

My hybrid I need to make sure I get forward on otherwise I will flip it left. But I just love the club and providing I remember to get forward it just flies off the face.

My driver I just have to consciously slow down my back swing otherwise I just over swing and drag my body out of position. Don't know why but only with my driver do i get quick and snatchy in the takeaway.

D

Deleted member 1147

The Titleist fitter I saw the other week was explaining the problem with the SLDR to me, and if I understood properly the issue with it is that with it being a low spin club you had to impart a lot of spin yourself. If you didn't the ball wouldn't have enough spin on it, and it would just "fall" out of the sky and lose a lot of distance and accuracy.
But when hit well, no one can argue with the distance you can achieve.

I often found that miss hits from near the sole of the club were not too bad, but anything high on the face was terrible.