Responsibility to Notify when playing at an away club

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Given my club closes in 10 days, have moved my handicap to my new club, but continued to play in comps at my old one until membership starts at the new one - principally in order to be able to get electronic entries in at the new club from 1st April.

I was under the impression that the organising/handicap committee where the comp was played would automatically notify my new home club, but that hasn't happened.

This CONGU link was posted on another thread http://www.congu.com/2016 CONGU Manual - Final version.pdf and in section 7.1(Responsibilities of the handicap committee) it states:-

7.8 When the Affiliated Club is a player’s Away Club the Handicap Committee must:
(a) ensure that scores returned in Qualifying Competitions are returned via the Union’s CDH where applicable, as soon as practicable after completion of each round; and
(b) ensure that the club discharges its responsibilities under Clause 21.13 in respect of
Supplementary Scores played by its Away Members over the club’s course(s).

Then in another section(responsibilities of the player) it states:-

8.10 Report to his Home Club as soon as practicable all Qualifying Scores (including ‘No Returns’ and Disqualified Scores – see Appendix P) returned away from his Home Club advising the Home Club of the date of the Qualifying Competition, the venue, Standard Scratch Score and the Competition Scratch Score together with details specific to the competition format.

So which is it? In this day and age of the big golf computer in the cloud, seems daft to rely on an individual.

D

Deleted member 15344

The "away" club should put all qualifying comps onto the CDH - the home club then downloads those comps everytime they access their system - which is what I do

But the Home club won't know if the player has played any qualifying comps if they haven't downloaded to CDH ( which some don't ) so the player must ensure his home club has all those away scores

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The primary obligation is that of the player. This predates the CDH and hasn't changed.

The obligation of the club re the CDH is modified by the words "as soon as practicable". There are still clubs that a) do not use computers, b) do not have access to the internet or c) only access the internet infrequently.
Often they have no paid staff and the clubhouse (often a portakabin or shed)
and/or systems are only manned by volunteer members 'as and when'.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Please clarify....

You have stated that

1. You have moved your handicap to you new club
2. You then use the future tense 'when' in the context of your new membership.
3. You reference 1 April

If you are joining a new club from 1 April then you cannot have your handicap administered by them until then.

Other than that the others have clarified responsibilities.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given my club closes in 10 days, have moved my handicap to my new club, but continued to play in comps at my old one until membership starts at the new one - principally in order to be able to get electronic entries in at the new club from 1st April.

It may be helpful to others at your old club to get the club sec to printout the handicap list of all the members and not to delete their records from the system. This will make it easier for ex member to transfer to other clubs later.
If he deletes the individuals' records they are automatically 'disconnected' from the club in the CDH and cannot be easily retrieved unless the player knows his CDH ID.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Please clarify....

You have stated that

1. You have moved your handicap to you new club
2. You then use the future tense 'when' in the context of your new membership.
3. You reference 1 April

If you are joining a new club from 1 April then you cannot have your handicap administered by them until then.

Have simply done what both clubs have suggested. Primary concern was to ensure I could continue playing seamlessly, and I'm taking the steps to ensure my handicap is a true reflection of the qualifying comps I have played in. I just don't have the time to babysit their areas of expertise when one club is busy trying to close down 1100 people's membership, and the other is taking on a large number of new ones.

The outcome is the same - my handicap is a true reflection of the rounds I have played. If I "cannot" do this, then I would expect one or both of the clubs to have stated so. In essence, new club has taken my membership (they already have my cash!), but I won't play there til 1st April.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It may be helpful to others at your old club to get the club sec to printout the handicap list of all the members and not to delete their records from the system. This will make it easier for ex member to transfer to other clubs later.
If he deletes the individuals' records they are automatically 'disconnected' from the club in the CDH and cannot be easily retrieved unless the player knows his CDH ID.

Thanks - club have suggested people do this for precisely that reason.

DCB

Visit site
It's the players responsibility to notify home club of away scores. CDH is great but only if every club keeps the info flowing in the correct direction.

As an aside, does the "new" club play comps thru the winter ? If not, then they may not have updated recently.