Resolving Ties in Medals

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry to be dull but does this mean the order is as follows:

A). Best score over last 9 holes wins - using net score based on playing handicap.
B). If still equal - as above but last 6 holes.
C). If still equal - as above but last 3 holes
D). If still equal net score using exact handicap over 18 holes.

If still equal then 6 irons at dawn!

Yes - using the appropriate fraction of handicap - 1/2 for back 9, 1/3 for back 6, 1/6 for back 3, 1/18 for last hole. We would also use (but never have had to, as I remember) back 12 minus 2/3 handicap.

This is the recommended procedure and is normally built into the software but can be changed if the club uses a different method.

Last edited:

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know that reference very well, but I don't read it as a recommendation for the handicap percentage method you mentioned - or have I misunderstood what you are saying?

Reading your subsequent posts, we are in agreement. My use of the term 'handicap percentage' is meant to mean the same as fractions of applicable handicaps, e.g for 9 holes 50% or 1/2, for 6 holes 33% or 1/3.

The reason for my initial post was because my club use the stroke index for medal play, which is contrary to recommendations. Although it is up to the Committee to decide, using an adjustment designed for Stableford play is in my opinion wrong. I was just trying to see how other clubs deal with it.

Thanks for your input.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting. Can't think that many clubs have starting points at 1, 8 13 - as does mine. You wouldn't be playing your golf in South London would you?
I play at Grims Dyke (in North London). The three tee start is fairly unusual, and the rationale is to get everyone back in the clubhouse together within an hour or so, as we have a good social atmosphere. Maybe your club has the same approach?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I play at Grims Dyke (in North London). The three tee start is fairly unusual, and the rationale is to get everyone back in the clubhouse together within an hour or so, as we have a good social atmosphere. Maybe your club has the same approach?

And there was me thinking our 1, 8, 13 arrangement was unique. Yes we do. And (at weekends only) we also have rotating start times so sometimes 2balls go off a particular tee, and sometimes it's 3&4balls. Means that whenever / wherever you start, you're always slotting in with similar sized groups coming through. Keeps the course flowing.