Replacement car advice

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Unfortunately the Frag Jag (2011 XF 3 ltr diesel) needs a bit of work on it, which is more than the value of the car, so possible looking to replace…….but with what?

Cash buyer around £15000 must have a boot big enough for a golf bag and trolley, under 5 years old and under 50k miles, petrol.

Been looking at the Skoda Superb and it ticks most boxes,

Also looked at Audi A4 & A6, Peugeot 508
Anything else out there I should be looking out for?

Not interested in PCP or leasing

TIA

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stop at the Superb, no need to look further. I had one for 4 years, excellent cars.

You could actually also look at an Octavia. Very similar boot size to the Superb, smaller allround package. Still excellent. If you aren't doing big miles then this would make more sense. If you do motorway miles, get the Superb

RichA

Visit site
One of only 2 car related regrets of mine is getting rid of a brilliant car because a repair was going to cost more than the car was worth.
If I'd had it repaired it would probably have carried on for at least another 5 years without any further significant depreciation.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had a Superb twin door and now a Superb estate, boot space in both is ample, my regular PP has the Octavia estate boot space is as good as the Superb but a little less room in the cabin,

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
....I'm not pitching up at Queenwood in a Skoda!🤣🤣🤣😉😉😉

I think the point above about not ruling out a repair purely on the value of the car is a good one.

How much life would be left in the repaired car? Is it otherwise good? Cost of repair v the £15k to buy another ??

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
IT's funny, going back a few years and my choice was between a Skoda and Puegeot both estate models and both very very similar in looks etc
It came down to the Puegeot because it was a lot easier to get to.

One of the other cars looked at recently was a Toyota Corolla Touring Sports.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
....I'm not pitching up at Queenwood in a Skoda!🤣🤣🤣😉😉😉

I think the point above about not ruling out a repair purely on the value of the car is a good one.

How much life would be left in the repaired car? Is it otherwise good? Cost of repair v the £15k to buy another ??
Good point well made,
The Jag is 13 years old, 80k miles, 3 litre diesel and non compliant for the ULEZ areas of London, Bristol & Birmingham. Where we have family
Road tax is £320 Pa insurance is £500 pa, Motorway and car wow value it at £2500
It needs a replacement timing belt and the alternator bearings have started to go, looking at least £2500 for those.

I’ve spent 3k on it in the last 2 years
Tyres, brakes, suspension and general servicing.

It could go another 5 or 6 years, or the exhaust or something else might go in 6 months time, it’s at the age of potentially turning into a money pit

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I was very suspicious about the tiny engine in the Octavia estate. Took it up to the motorway and put my foot down on the slip road - all doubts gone, bought it. Must be the turbocharger.

Downside is a lot of gear changing - no torque. I have to change right down in places where I'd just stay in 4th in my Mazda MX5. But we do get over 60 mpg on long journeys.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was very suspicious about the tiny engine in the Octavia estate. Took it up to the motorway and put my foot down on the slip road - all doubts gone, bought it. Must be the turbocharger.

Downside is a lot of gear changing - no torque. I have to change right down in places where I'd just stay in 4th in my Mazda MX5. But we do get over 60 mpg on long journeys.
Might be one where it works better with the auto box. Let that do all the gear changes. Too late now if course, but in case anyone else is thinking of getting one.

Is yours the 1.0 litre engine?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It could go another 5 or 6 years, or the exhaust or something else might go in 6 months time, it’s at the age of potentially turning into a money pit
Reminds me of my Celica GT4. Fabulous car, but it hit 11 years old and all manner things started going wrong, each one of which cost £££ to fix. It just had to go.