More car advice required please.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
We've come to the realisation that we have to get rid of our 90 plate MX5 that we've had for 7 years.
What with the family, the golf and the wife's journey to work.

I love driving this car as it's the only rear wheel drive action I get!

We have a Renault Scenic 1.9 diesel, as the daily family car, but we require another car for the wife's commute to work (60 mile round trip, so probably diesel), and for my golf / business. But it'll be shared equally with the wife during the week.

Neither of us like Saabs, Pugs, or Rovers, and I dislike small cars, Polos, Fiestas and the ilk.

Budget is £2k tops.

What are peoples thoughts? I'm tempted with an Audi A4 estate. But what should I be looking at and for, with my budget etc. Ideas?

Many thanks.

I've come up with these tonight so far. Pros, cons?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...4&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...9&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...&logcode=p#

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Sorry. 3 Series too small for the growing family. Small rear, small boot etc. Though as you've probably guessed the Scenic gets used for most of the kiddy transporting, but there are days when we would need to swap the car seats around.

Now an older style 5 series estate would be good. The in-laws had one for a while and I really liked it. It was £9k though. :(

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Hapless,
Im a panel beater by trade and i live here in ireland.
If you've young family i would suggest something strong and safe as well as reliable......If road tax isnt an issue i would opt for a 00-02,03 Volvo V70 Tdi.
I have a 00 reg 2.0 ltr petrol V70 and i wouldnt put my young family into anything esle. You cant beat german or swedish build quality and safety... The V70 will easily swallow 4 cart bags 4 trollies and all the luggage as well as 4 people as well in comfort and you should be able to pick one up in england for buttons
If you need any car related questions answered just hollar... ;)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back again hapless.
Id give the alfa a wide berth
C class' Boot are small but there reliable enough
Audi looks pretty clean.....Maybe a little too clean for its year and id be asking questions about whats been towed by it.
The passats are prone to turbo failure as most people dont know how to treat a car with a turbo also there heavy on wishbones and steering linkages as well as suspension bushes as they have upper and lower arms on all wheels

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. My parents had a Volvo 240 in the 80's, horrible thing. But I know what you mean about build though.

I found this. V70

Thats the same model as my own..
It looks pretty clean and the good thing about these is most people that own them tend to be old so there rarely thrashed....
The only trouble that this model ever gave owners is the throttle bodies..it happened to mine. they tend to go arounbd the 70'000 mile mark.It can be pinpointed by a rough idling of the engine at idle make sure that this has been done as its about 700€ not sure of the sterling to get sorted...
Milage is rarely an issue and if regularly serviced they'll happily motor away on up to 500'000 miles gearboxes never give trouble and neither did the turbo's

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
How should you treat a car with a turbo, diesel or otherwise?

Damn though. I like Alfas!

Any car that has a turbo be it petrol or diesel should be left wamr up for a minute or two at startup to lubricate the turbo and again before the engine is switched off it should be left idle for a minute to let the turbo cool down......Most people are always in such a rush that they never do this and its only a matter of time before it goes.....Also they need regular oil changes i usually do mine about every 6-8 thousand miles...

My brother works with alfas nand they give heaps of problems with gearbox's and electrics...

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's the fuel mpg like on the 2.4 petrol model if that's the one you have?

I have the 2.0 petrol and its a turbo there quite heavy on short commutes as any big car will be but the longer journeys ant 60 - 70mph the'll easily do 500miles on a full tank.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the passat...or same motor in the earlier skoda octavia est, I had one and it was one of the best family cars Ive ever had as well as a great performer, and pretty economical too for what it was.
The older mercs I belive are tough/safe and roomy providing you get a motor that hasnt been abused.

Volvo are tough, safe, yet not as roomy as you may think (depending on model) but can be bloody expensive to keep up to standard as compared to other models, and depending on the model and year depends on the engine quality you get, along with economy (some ok, some awful).

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm also considering Galaxy's as well?

Take my advice for what it's worth....
Don't touch a Galaxy with a barge pole.
I sold them for over 6 years and every single one I sold second hand came back with problems of one kind or another. If it wasn't the electrics packing up it was the air con. Fords worse model in years.
Hate to say it, but £2k will buy you one that's been kicked around from *** to breakfast time and you will just be buying trouble.
Don't really know what car to suggest to you but buy a Galaxy at your peril....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Older Mercs rust badly. Mine certainly has, and the more I look around, it isn't the only one. Safe, reliable and solid though. Turbo diesel. Not exactly economical (30mpg), and have had no issues with the turbo. It is 10 years old, and I have never understood this business of looking after it. Why let it idle after a run? I drive down to my house at 30 mph, at about 1200rpm, so by the time I get there, what good is another 2 minutes at 700rpm going to do? Same at work.

Older BMWs are unreliable. My wife has had 7 of them. All have had suspension problems.

On your budget I would go for a Passat.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not the prettiest or some might say reliable but HID goes from Ayelsbury to Watford 4 times a week + all the other running around in a 2ltr HDi Citroen Picasso. Had it 4 years, done 50k in it and only needed the usual servicing. Not the nicest to drive but huge boot and good visability. Does 40mpg too.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Smiffy. I thought that you were in the trade? Thanks for the heads up on the Galaxy, but I'm surprised that you don't have any suggestions.

What did you think of the V70 and A4 that I posted earlier? And what do you know of them used wise?

Now where's our other resident car dealers? I need help!

Murph. Ta.

Imurg. Urm. The Push Me- Pull you, of the car world. I already have a Scenic, and was ideally looking for something a little different. But thanks anyway.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Smiffy. I thought that you were in the trade? Thanks for the heads up on the Galaxy, but I'm surprised that you don't have any suggestions.

What did you think of the V70 and A4 that I posted earlier? And what do you know of them used wise?

I am in the trade mate. Been selling cars for over 23 years now, wish I could find something else to do!!
Only problem with Volvo and Audi models is that you aren't going to get a "lot" of car for the money, especially with Audi. It's going to be old, and high mileage...and once things start going wrong with them they cost an arm and a leg to sort out. A lot of smaller, independant garages won't touch 'em either.
Me? If I had £2k to spend and was looking for a load lugger with reasonable reliablity and as much car for the money as I could muster I would be looking at SEAT, Skoda, Kia, Hyundai something along those lines. Initial depreciation is bad so you will tend to pick up a later car for the money, hopefully with less miles on the clock. Something like a SEAT Toledo (big boot) Kia Sedona (loads of room) Skoda Fabia isn't a bad tool, reliable and a decent sized boot too. Failing that a Mondeo is a good choice second hand as is a Vectra. OK they are not the worlds most exciting cars but there are plenty of them around and if you do get problems with one, most mechanics won't run away from them.
Personally I would steer clear of the more "prestige" marques like VW, Audi, BMW, Merc and Volvo. I hate to say it but what you will be buying for the sort of dosh you want to spend is likely to be a high mileage oil burner that is going to cost you money in the long run. High insurance for a kick off, and the cost of parts is horrendous, although saying that you can buy plenty of "pattern" parts now for them that will save you a bob or two. Just my 2d worth.

piratepete

Hacker
Visit site
I used to work in the car leasing game until a few years ago, I would look more toward the German makes, I have a Y reg bmw 3 series estate, hopeless boot area, just get 2 sets in without trolleys, our W reg bmw 3 series compact has a bigger boot. Beware of A4 estates most are probably reps cars and had the arse thrashed, hence the problems with turbo's and suspension,try to look more toward a private sellers, service history is always a good indication, Passats are good but as previously mentioned they do have suspension problems, not keen on Mercs heavy and juicy, but yes safe.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
What's the fuel mpg like on the 2.4 petrol model if that's the one you have?

Shocking....my sister has one....might as well stay at home and stuff tenners in the tank.