More car advice required please.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to work in the car leasing game until a few years ago, I would look more toward the German makes, I have a Y reg bmw 3 series estate, hopeless boot area, just get 2 sets in without trolleys, our W reg bmw 3 series compact has a bigger boot.

I'm going to disagree. Old(er) German cars are expensive and unreliable. I have a BMW and it's beginning to really hurt. I bought it 4 years old and intended to keep it just 3 years.
I don't know a single owner who has got away with minimum expenditure on BMW and don't even start on Audis.

i.m.o. there is only one sensible option if you are not looking to spend too much. Japanese....(or a Ford and pray!!!)
My 1999 Mitsubishi Galant has needed one coil pack in ten years.....that's the total cost of non-everyday-parts. Just tyres and fuel and servicing. That's about £36.
My BMW has already cost over £2k in general crap....disks and pads, 5 (yes, FIVE) road springs. Air mass sensor. The electrics are almost shot, one key doesn't work. Suspension components, exhaust sections, 2 window regulators....it just goes on and on.....
I used to drive Toyotas and Hondas only. My 1988 Celica is still knocking around (only ever needed a radiator) and my 1994 Honda Accord coupe is now on 240,000 and other than re-building the starter motor, it's only ever needed tyres exhausts and servicing....

Cheap and old German cars are a disaster.....If it wasn''t for the fact that I save over £1,000 in fuel costs PER YEAR comparing Mitsubishi estate to BMW estate, the BWM would be long gone.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
If I have understood so far.

Avoid list.

German cars over a certain age, particularly Audis, Beemers and Mercs. Galaxy's. Big engine Volvos (cars in general), because of low mpg.

Shame. As I fancied something that would remain classless, and not look like it belongs on a council estate, despite it's age and price!

Only Jap cars I've had, are Mazdas and Toyotas. They were all very good cars.

Time to start trawling Auto Trader again.

What about the Volvo V40 Estate? Or am I mising something altogether!

Thanks to everyone so far.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hey there hapless,
Smiffy will probably agree with me here being in the trade and that.
For 2k you have to accept that things are going to go wrong regardless of either age or model of car..Nothing lasts forever the problem you have is trying to find a happy medium....
Each to there own theres pros and cons with all.
If you need any advice on what to check for body wise just message me i can give you plenty of things to check for to make sure theres no heavy crash damage.. ;)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Hey there hapless,
Smiffy will probably agree with me here being in the trade and that.
For 2k you have to accept that things are going to go wrong regardless of either age or model of car..Nothing lasts forever the problem you have is trying to find a happy medium....
Correct...

That's why I suggested going for a "lesser" marque like Hyundai, SEAT, Skoda, Kia etc. Initial depreciation is much higher on these and HH is likely to get a newer, lower mileage car for similar money where hopefully it would stand less chance of going wrong. ;) ;)

piratepete

Hacker
Visit site
I had Hyundai cars for years before going to a beemer, we had both the Hyudai Coupe 2.0 and Santa Fe 2.4 and 2.7 V6 from new and 2nd hand, they are great cars, the santa fe aint pretty, but as smiffy says, they are cheap, the only fault is they are gutless, a good point is, most have all the bells and whistles, I've just p/x my 03 santa fe for £2750 for the bm so you'll get a fairly new reasonably low mileage model for your money.