Renton Laidlaw RIP

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Sad news to wake up to that Renton Laidlaw has died at the age of 82. Amazing character, voice and warmth. There will be lots of lovely tributes in the coming days but Faldo summed him up nicely with this..

'Renton documented my whole career from the 75 English Amateur on! He was the most trusted and fair, in the heat of finishing a bad round if i said something daft he'd say maybe you'd like to say that a different way! A very rare quality! RIP'

At any dinner that he was part of he would always say grace which was the highlight of any day

Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat and we can eat,
Sae let the Lord be Thankit!

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Very sad news. His voice always seemed suited to golf commentary. Knowledgeable, never overpowering, and in tune with the surroundings and atmosphere in which the game should be played. He was also an excellent presenter on Sport On 2 in the pre Radio 5 days. By all accounts a thoroughly decent man to boot. RIP

Red devil

Visit site
When you think of those names, Henry Longhurst, Peter Alliss, Alex Hay and Renton Laidlaw weren't we blessed?
Hope there's a table of four in the clubhouse in the sky and the glasses are full. May they RIP.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good guy, I got to know him when he covered the Scottish PGA events in the 1960's for the Edinburgh Evening news.
He later turned from journalist to commentating.
Very good at both jobs.