Removal of trees and gorse bushes from courses

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Chester le street where Beezerk and snell plays have taken loads of trees out. (They might be able to give the exact amount)
But I know it was loads. And there reason was to drain course and give better viewing of the castle. It's all part of the course redesign.
I think it will improve the course by the design that is given

Some trees were blocking the sun so grass could not grow in certain areas, other places (down the Haughs etc) had become too overgrown so the woods were unhealthy apparently. They've also reshaped some holes like you say. I think opening the view to the castle was only a small part of it. Should be great when 12,13 and 14 are back in play.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some trees were blocking the sun so grass could not grow in certain areas, other places (down the Haughs etc) had become too overgrown so the woods were unhealthy apparently. They've also reshaped some holes like you say. I think opening the view to the castle was only a small part of it. Should be great when 12,13 and 14 are back in play.

I've heard 13 14 going on this weekend and at weekends only. But 12 there nuts if open that now do so much damage to front of green they have reconstructed

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Towards the end of my membership at Crowborough Beacon they started to reduce the amount of trees and gorse on the course, trying to bring it back to how it looked during the "good old days"....
To anybody that has played this great course, I know which I prefer.....
Golf Links 1915 Webb and Longstaffe.jpgThe Carryu from the First Tee A H Stickells Sussex Highlands 1927.jpg

D

Deleted member 15717

English Nature have had a lot of trees down over the past couple of years at our place. We're in a forest, so not short of them...however, it has really ruined the look of some holes. English Nature have removed a lot of the trees to allow it to naturally regenerate into how the ground was 'years ago' which was heathland and lots of gorse, heather etc. Sadly, in the areas that have seen trees removed, there has been zero regeneration of anything!

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The winter programme is under way again at my course with further removal of non native species, gorse bushes etc.
the trees between the 3rd green and 14th faiway coming out. A couple of photos to let you see whats happening. majority of the members are delighted with the changes. Going to be amazing once completed.

Trees viewed with 3rd green in foreground

Viewed from 14th fairway this time and a week further on

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We seem to have had a lot of trees removed since two of the greens staff had wood burners in at home. A local course to me have done extensive work removing huge thickets and trees in the last two years make the course look sooooooo much better.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We take trees out in three scenarios

1) when they are dead/rotten/dangerous
2) when they have grown and impinge upon such as a direct line to a pin position on a par 3 or limit where a tee can be on the teeing ground.
3) when their growth is cutting out light to a green - and the tree is not particularly in play or other natural feature compensates 'playing wise' (generally penalising) for it's removal.

We also do occasional serious hacking back of gorse...it is not attractive. and does not always add to the playing experience.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
They've taken stacks of gorse out at Royal Porthcawl... it has spoiled the look of several holes, but I think the R&A are in conversation with them about the need to improve spectator viewing and movement around the course... they still hope to get the Open after several successful Seniors etc...

D

Deleted member 21258

They've taken stacks of gorse out at Royal Porthcawl... it has spoiled the look of several holes, but I think the R&A are in conversation with them about the need to improve spectator viewing and movement around the course... they still hope to get the Open after several successful Seniors etc...

Doing similar at Conwy on 16/17/18 holes for the Curtis cup, under direction if I remember what I read correctly. Also doing a lot at Delamere forest as well.

Not sure I quite follow all of the clearance to take it back 'to the good old days', landscapes change and sometimes you need this stuff to make it 'harder' with modern clubs and improve the look.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Conwy removed lots of gorse last year and the barren areas that were left looked a real mess. Will be back there a week on Sunday so hopefully there will be an improvement.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nairn has finally removed the massive Rhododendron from behind the 3rd green, along with some pines to the left of it to allow more light on the green during the winter. They have also taken a few other tree's of the boundary on the course out the back of 13, again to allow more light to the green in winter. Broom has also gone from the entrance to the 13th Fairway, the made the tee shot from the back Blue tee blind, still Gorse there , but looks better view from the tee now you can see at least some of the fairway.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you seriously think that's the only reason they have removed them.

Oh yes indeed. Well no actually, but they've made a right mess of one of our places most spectacular and terrifiying holes. On another they've been removed for the long hitters who keep putting their balls into the trees, which have been removed and grassed over so now they can whack away knowing they won't get blocked out by the trees. It used to be a very intimidating hole with a very tight landing area. Not anymore. After all these changes and letting the ground settle we've have had previously unheard of scores coming in. Starting last winter with a Gross 59 off a +1 H/C. Then this season we've have a 63 to win a major and a 61 to win a medal. Before this a 65 would be more than sufficient. They've made the place a lot easier.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Like a lot of courses in our area, we had a lot of trees planted on it in the early 70's. It seemed like a good idea at the time but it turns out they are no real benefit, and in fact to the detriment of the course.
In our club are two overhead photos. One from 1966 with no trees and one from 20 years with thousands of trees planted.
They stop sunlight and breeze reaching the course which is of no benefit. They don't drain water and the roots crack the drains.
As Turkish said earlier, over last winter all the trees down the side of our 18th were taken down (and some real old classic balls found). Before that we had removed hundreds of others from various parts of the course that were blocking sunlight and air flow. Even after we removed all these trees we still have over 10,000 trees on the course, none of which are native to the area. So there is a plan in place to remove over 1,000 more. Again purely to get more sunlight and air movement to the course.
We have to replace all the trees that we take down but thankfully we own enough land around the course so it won't impinge on it. I did suggest planting Bonsai but I was told this wouldn't count.
When the trees were planted in the 70's it was done with the best intention but in hindsight it wasn't the best idea.
If it was down to me I'd take down the lot but it's not that simple. But at approaching 50 years old, they are getting to the end of their life and really need to go.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Like a lot of courses in our area, we had a lot of trees planted on it in the early 70's. It seemed like a good idea at the time but it turns out they are no real benefit, and in fact to the detriment of the course.
In our club are two overhead photos. One from 1966 with no trees and one from 20 years with thousands of trees planted.
They stop sunlight and breeze reaching the course which is of no benefit. They don't drain water and the roots crack the drains.
As Turkish said earlier, over last winter all the trees down the side of our 18th were taken down (and some real old classic balls found). Before that we had removed hundreds of others from various parts of the course that were blocking sunlight and air flow. Even after we removed all these trees we still have over 10,000 trees on the course, none of which are native to the area. So there is a plan in place to remove over 1,000 more. Again purely to get more sunlight and air movement to the course.
We have to replace all the trees that we take down but thankfully we own enough land around the course so it won't impinge on it. I did suggest planting Bonsai but I was told this wouldn't count.
When the trees were planted in the 70's it was done with the best intention but in hindsight it wasn't the best idea.
If it was down to me I'd take down the lot but it's not that simple. But at approaching 50 years old, they are getting to the end of their life and really need to go.

I was a member of East Ren when the planting started - and so I played the course before the trees. I recall quite a bit of opposition to the planting. When I played it not so long ago with you guys, having not played it since the early 80s, I hardly recognised some of the holes. And clearly drainage had suffered badly as I just don't recall the course ever being as wet as it was. Good to hear of the plans to take them out. I love the course - and returned to almost treeless will make it so much better