Removal of trees and gorse bushes from courses

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Gorse is a real pain on heathland courses, as it over powers the heather. We had most of ours taken out, though it still grows at ground level, but at least it can be cut by the mowers.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trees are the enemy, to grow good grass you need a) light and b) airflow both of which trees mess with. These things also help get rid of water. In the case of the photo I'm not sure how much an impact those made. We have a stupid amount of trees and all the areas where the new greenkeeper has been removing them have improved the turf and you can get dumpy bags of oak logs at 50 quid.

Very much this..... Our course has really struggled with drainage issues on 17th and 18th holes... last year they sorted 17th through relaying turf and better drainage but the 18th needed to remove a hue amount of trees for light and wind to get through.... it doesn't look half as scenic but the fairway should be a lot better as a result.

DCB

Visit site
A common problem is the type of tree that was planted. Often an non indigenous species with quick growth was used. All for having trees, but, lets have them managed properly, don't just plant them and leave them to their own devices.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Very much this..... Our course has really struggled with drainage issues on 17th and 18th holes... last year they sorted 17th through relaying turf and better drainage but the 18th needed to remove a hue amount of trees for light and wind to get through.... it doesn't look half as scenic but the fairway should be a lot better as a result.

As we chatted about when we played your track - it was a very different looking place 40yrs ago when I was a member - and I don't recall light to greens and drainage ever being anything like the issue it has become. As it happens I rather preferred it's look as an open moorland course. You've still got a cracking track though.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I know Parkstone and Stoneham have taken over 2000 trees out in the last 5 years or so. To take the course back to how they where originally designed and to help improve drainage.

It has certainly helped Stoneham, we are now seeing the heather come back and also planting some new.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Any idea why SEPA were involved ?

Seems like a popular plan
I'm lead to believe there is some sort of Regulation on removal of Tree's.

all the tree's we have removed, we have had to play 2 for every one taken down. Luckily the replanting is taking place away from the course. we have a large area of waste ground between the green keeping compound and the boundary of the course land. this has been cleared and planted with the new tree's as well as where the old Alerntburn Hotel was. well out of sight of the course.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm lead to believe there is some sort of Regulation on removal of Tree's.

all the tree's we have removed, we have had to play 2 for every one taken down. Luckily the replanting is taking place away from the course. we have a large area of waste ground between the green keeping compound and the boundary of the course land. this has been cleared and planted with the new tree's as well as where the old Alerntburn Hotel was. well out of sight of the course.

I think the SEPA restrictions are something to do with the fact that the trees provide natural habitat - regardless of whether they were originally there or not - or whether or not they are a species indigenous to the area. When we took out 100s of trees we had to plant a lot (though not one-for-one I don't think)

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chester le street where Beezerk and snell plays have taken loads of trees out. (They might be able to give the exact amount)
But I know it was loads. And there reason was to drain course and give better viewing of the castle. It's all part of the course redesign.
I think it will improve the course by the design that is given

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't help but feel the irony when you see commenting about "indigenous" plants/tree's, since when was a golf course "indegenous" to an area?

didsbury_duffer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm also in the 'preferred the original layout of the hole' brigade. It may improve drainage, but the aesthetics of the hole have been changed for the worse.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive seen some photos of what Tom Doaks is doing at Woodhall Spa on the Hotchkin and he's removed trees and gorse and in doing so discovered more bunkers that where hidden. Moortown did a similar thing some years ago and it totally changed the look of the course, another case of less is more.

D

Deleted member 18588

I'm also in the 'preferred the original layout of the hole' brigade. It may improve drainage, but the aesthetics of the hole have been changed for the worse.

But that's the thing surely!

The first picture does not show the original layout but rather what the hole has become. The club's intention would appear to be to return tat hole, and others, to the way in which they were intended to be played.

In my experience the situation is even worse at many parkland courses with trees growing to sizes that were never envisaged when they were planted, particularly around tees and greens. The result is to deny essential air and light to these heavy usage areas.

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chester le street where Beezerk and snell plays have taken loads of trees out. (They might be able to give the exact amount)
But I know it was loads. And there reason was to drain course and give better viewing of the castle. It's all part of the course redesign.
I think it will improve the course by the design that is given

I think the exact figure is "a sh*t load"