Reluctance to download the EG App

NearHull

Visit site
I have been checking and trying to resolve our Unsatisfied Score Returns and I am finding that there are a good number of returns because the ‘guilty’ player registers a GP round and then discovers his pp do not have the EG App. Ok, they perhaps should’ve checked before registering but they often comment back to me that the pp have no intention of downloading and using the App.

Assuming people are happy using a phone, why wouldn’t they download the EG App, even if it’s just to verify a pp score. I’m genuinely flummoxed .

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Do these players have smartphones, and simply won't use that particular app, or are they as Neilds said above, ones that simply don't use more modern phones? Do you have a screen in the clubhouse where they can enter their scores instead?

NearHull

Visit site
We have a screen, using ClubV1. I don’t think, but don’t really know, that the registered round on EG App would appear on ClubV1 screen.
I’m aware in one or two cases the ‘EG App reluctant ones’ do have smart phones and are general App uses.

my point that I’m trying to understand is not how to get around the score submission problem, but why is there a reluctance to use the App?

NearHull

Visit site
Perhaps if we offered a £1 off their annual membership subscription for every time they used the App,

no, I’m not serious.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a screen, using ClubV1. I don’t think, but don’t really know, that the registered round on EG App would appear on ClubV1 screen.
I’m aware in one or two cases the ‘EG App reluctant ones’ do have smart phones and are general App uses.

my point that I’m trying to understand is not how to get around the score submission problem, but why is there a reluctance to use the App?
Why don't they use the HDID app. My club only uses that app and the PSI. All in one house.

wjemather

Visit site

You are correct - general play scores have to be entered using the same system on which the round was pre-registered. If scores are entered via a different method, the intent needs to be deleted.

NearHull

Visit site
Why don't they use the HDID app. My club only uses that app and the PSI. All in one house.
We do use HDID App as well but I am discussing removing it for GP rounds because of its lack of marker governance. GP scores can be submitted without any marker being nominated ( and even not present).

again, I’m not looking for alternative methods of GP score submissions. I’m looking for ideas on how to increase EG App participation.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there a 'how to do' video that you could email to the membership to show them how easy it is, the benefits of it?

I'm with you, I don't understand the reluctance.

wjemather

Visit site
We do use HDID App as well but I am discussing removing it for GP rounds because of its lack of marker governance. GP scores can be submitted without any marker being nominated ( and even not present).

again, I’m not looking for alternative methods of GP score submissions. I’m looking for ideas on how to increase EG App participation.
The latest update release notes for ClubV1 had some interesting hints regarding upcoming features for HDID:
• Enhanced Markers Scoring
Example
Connor would select Adam as "Marker" and select Darren as "Marking For", Adam selects Connor as his "Marking For" and Darren as his "Marker", Darren selects Connor as his "Marker" and Adam as his "Marking For". Connor enters his own scores and Darren's scores, Adam enters his scores and Connors scores, and Darren enters his scores and Adam's scores. At the end of the round, it will validate all of the scores against each other, flag any discrepancies and scores won't be able to be submitted until they all tally up.
There are many questions as to the scope of these features, e.g. there is no indication that it applies to both comps and gp rounds, and will it account for markers not playing in a comp/entering a gp score themselves. Better late than never though.

NearHull

Visit site
The latest update release notes for ClubV1 had some interesting hints regarding upcoming features for HDID:
• Enhanced Markers Scoring
Example
Connor would select Adam as "Marker" and select Darren as "Marking For", Adam selects Connor as his "Marking For" and Darren as his "Marker", Darren selects Connor as his "Marker" and Adam as his "Marking For". Connor enters his own scores and Darren's scores, Adam enters his scores and Connors scores, and Darren enters his scores and Adam's scores. At the end of the round, it will validate all of the scores against each other, flag any discrepancies and scores won't be able to be submitted until they all tally up.
There are many questions as to the scope of these features, e.g. there is no indication that it applies to both comps and gp rounds, and will it account for markers not playing in a comp/entering a gp score themselves. Better late than never though.
Do you have any link to the release notes please?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can sort of understand tbh, I was reluctant to download the SG one, but had no choice in the end. But what a pullava, asp at nairn, you have to double book everything and nothing is simple, paired with the fact most of it doesn't work and the club has had to install terminals in the club for any score input.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What memory size is the app?

Sensibly priced smartphones (like mine) don't have that much memory and means even with just a few apps on it and few pics/vids etc if i try downloading even a small app it isn't gonna work unless I spend time deleting other stuff

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
What memory size is the app?

Sensibly priced smartphones (like mine) don't have that much memory and means even with just a few apps on it and few pics/vids etc if i try downloading even a small app it isn't gonna work unless I spend time deleting other stuff
Yes. I can't fit any more apps on my phone.. It is after all a phone.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Alot of people, particularly of, erm, average golfing age, are quite anxious about apps. Especially when its opening gambit is to ask to track your location...