Reluctance to download the EG App

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What memory size is the app?

Sensibly priced smartphones (like mine) don't have that much memory and means even with just a few apps on it and few pics/vids etc if i try downloading even a small app it isn't gonna work unless I spend time deleting other stuff

51.13mb , very small for an app

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why the hell should we have to put up with all that faffing about when a simple scorecard and pencil is all that's required?

Once set up it's less faff than filling in a score card correctly, ironically have to go on an app to get my course handicap or index to put on the card

It's already done via the app

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why the hell should we have to put up with all that faffing about when a simple scorecard and pencil is all that's required?
That would honestly make more sense the other way round. Why faff about with a pencil and scorecards when a simple data entry into your phone is all that's required?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That would honestly make more sense the other way round. Why faff about with a pencil and scorecards when a simple data entry into your phone is all that's required?

But, believe it or not, there are some people who are not married to their phone and prefer to leave it in their car while playing golf (and/or other sports).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But, believe it or not, there are some people who are not married to their phone and prefer to leave it in their car while playing golf (and/or other sports).
As mentioned above though, that is the selfish attitude when you consider that pencil and scorecards require somebody to collate all of that information and enter it digitally on your behalf if you go down that route.

You can leave your phone in the car anyway and just enter your eighteen hole scores at the end if you want.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As mentioned above though, that is the selfish attitude when you consider that pencil and scorecards require somebody to collate all of that information and enter it digitally on your behalf if you go down that route.

You can leave your phone in the car anyway and just enter your eighteen hole scores at the end if you want.

Yeah pre registration , start round then enter at end

Long as you can sign someone else's using the app when they send to u aswell

After I do mine I leave my phone in my bag on do not disturb but will go off if the wife or school calls

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
As someone who spends his life embracing technology I love being able to input scores via my phone etc. - but on the other hand I can't think of another sport which requires an app to participate and I'd kind of hate golf to go completely that way.

The Scottish golf app doesn't require someone else to have the app to verify as far as I can remember.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah pre registration , start round then enter at end

(y) and if you are old and decrepit and unable to remember all your scores, use a scorecard during the round with your and your marker's scores recorded and put it in the box after entering on terminal.

Simples :)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
(y) and if you are old and decrepit and unable to remember all your scores, use a scorecard during the round with your and your marker's scores recorded and put it in the box after entering on terminal.

Or enter on the app and forget the terminal? Same thing no?

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
I always have my phone in my golf bag in case my playing partners or worst ? me has an accident or is taken ill. When you get to a certain age you can't sprint to the pro shop to summon help.
So entering a score on my phone that's already in my bag is no big deal, neither is downloading an app ......

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site

I register before the round, phone goes in the bag whilst I play, scorecard used during round, I then enter the score into my phone at the end, very easy.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I register before the round, phone goes in the bag whilst I play, scorecard used during round, I then enter the score into my phone at the end, very easy.
Register before the round on app or via pro, phone goes in the bag whilst playing, scorecard used during round, then put scorecard in box, even easier.

But I actually do what you say.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The latest update release notes for ClubV1 had some interesting hints regarding upcoming features for HDID:
• Enhanced Markers Scoring
Example
Connor would select Adam as "Marker" and select Darren as "Marking For", Adam selects Connor as his "Marking For" and Darren as his "Marker", Darren selects Connor as his "Marker" and Adam as his "Marking For". Connor enters his own scores and Darren's scores, Adam enters his scores and Connors scores, and Darren enters his scores and Adam's scores. At the end of the round, it will validate all of the scores against each other, flag any discrepancies and scores won't be able to be submitted until they all tally up.
There are many questions as to the scope of these features, e.g. there is no indication that it applies to both comps and gp rounds, and will it account for markers not playing in a comp/entering a gp score themselves. Better late than never though.
While I can see the rationale for this, entering scores in the HDID app at the end of a round is enough of a faff as it is. (It's clearly designed to be used on a hole by hole basis while you're playing. There should be an option for it to operate in a PSI-like way). I really wouldn't want to have to enter two sets of scores using that interface.

In any case, no matter what mechanism is used, collusion between mates who want to cheat is always possible. Making the process of score entry more complicated in an attempt to reduce the level of cheating is pointless - the cheats will find a way round it, while the honest just have more red tape to deal with.