Reducing carbon emissions

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The boss of Rolls Royce aero was saying last week that all their engines they produce can work on synthetic fuel. If they can do that for planes, there’s every chance they will do that for cars.

Maybe the ban of petrol car sales will be a good thing to force firms to develop this new tech rather than just stick with what they know.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rolls Royce on their home page say early 2030 they will come on line

That's a marketing statement.

Here are two simple rules of project management. #1 Always take the money first. #2 Never trust a contractor's schedule.

Both of these apply to Rolls Royce.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe the ban of petrol car sales will be a good thing to force firms to develop this new tech rather than just stick with what they know.

As long as manufacturers have ICE cars left in stock, they won't reduce the cost of EVs. If they were the same price, who would chose an ICE car over an EV, knowing the difference in running costs.
What we need is a medium sized EV hatch back with 250 miles of bladder range for about £18-20k

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's a marketing statement.

Here are two simple rules of project management. #1 Always take the money first. #2 Never trust a contractor's schedule.

Both of these apply to Rolls Royce.

However whilst that is a "rule" it's conjecture and not fact

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As long as manufacturers have ICE cars left in stock, they won't reduce the cost of EVs. If they were the same price, who would chose an ICE car over an EV, knowing the difference in running costs.
What we need is a medium sized EV hatch back with 250 miles of bladder range for about £18-20k
Yes please.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

We also need a change of thought process on how we run our cars

I'm asked a lot "how long take to charge" well 9 hours if it's empty. However as I always add I'm never empty .. in reality it's 15% an hour and most I'll charge is 5 hours .. normally less

Just adapt to your life of plug in when get home and let it do its thing or manage over the week

I'll charge whenever I get to 50%

Got home from work last night with 87% so not charged overnight

Prob won't tonight

Might tomorrow

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Just out of interest how much cheaper are tgey to run. The only lengthy journey ive ever been in an ev, was around 300 miles, took 1.5 hours of on route charging which im told cost around £40?

I was expecting it to cost way less...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest how much cheaper are tgey to run. The only lengthy journey ive ever been in an ev, was around 300 miles, took 1.5 hours of on route charging which im told cost around £40?

I was expecting it to cost way less...

Depends on when and how you charge

On route on average you pay 30p pkw.. maybe even more depends who runs it

However at home electric car tariff 5p per hour at certain hours.. charger told to not charge outside those hours unless I overide

£1 a day for 50 mile commute

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've already stated the facts from the International Atomic Energy Agency's roadmap for SMR deployment. We won't be seeing any operational reactors until a lot later than you believe.

Would you like to buy some magic beans?

As stated before the grid can cope without them , even if not fully green it can support the cars and will only get greener as time goes on which is what matters.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Take that back to basics though and this whole island would be covered in trees, including your house and mine.
Britain has nearly been stripped bare of trees. In my area the Forest of Arden is now reduced to patches of woodland.
Some tree planting has happened but too little, too late.
I like to think that a person could walk all day through the forest of broad leaved trees and finding the way by markers.
It must have been paradise.
Trees should not be looked on as barriers to progress.
Our world once had 6 trillion. Now it has half that.
It just illustrates what complete fools politicians and economists are.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Britain has nearly been stripped bare of trees. In my area the Forest of Arden is now reduced to patches of woodland.
Some tree planting has happened but too little, too late.
I like to think that a person could walk all day through the forest of broad leaved trees and finding the way by markers.
It must have been paradise.
Trees should not be looked on as barriers to progress.
Our world once had 6 trillion. Now it has half that.
It just illustrates what complete fools politicians and economists are.

What does that make the people who voted them in?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
We also need a change of thought process on how we run our cars

I'm asked a lot "how long take to charge" well 9 hours if it's empty. However as I always add I'm never empty .. in reality it's 15% an hour and most I'll charge is 5 hours .. normally less

Just adapt to your life of plug in when get home and let it do its thing or manage over the week

I'll charge whenever I get to 50%

Got home from work last night with 87% so not charged overnight

Prob won't tonight

Might tomorrow

Great, if you can charge at home. But the problem is charging, for most drivers.
Most drivers live in terraced housing or flats or dwellings where home charging isn't possible.
Therefore pure EV is not an option until decent charging time can occur at a charging point, and there is enough of 'em.
For clarity, I am in favour of eliminating ICE cars as soon as possible.
And I would immediately require any new car sold in UK to be at least a hybrid, but it doesn't help to describe what you do in a manner almost suggesting that such is available to all if they put their mind to it.?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great, if you can charge at home. But the problem is charging, for most drivers.
Most drivers live in terraced housing or flats or dwellings where home charging isn't possible.
Therefore pure EV is not an option until decent charging time can occur at a charging point, and there is enough of 'em.
For clarity, I am in favour of eliminating ICE cars as soon as possible.
And I would immediately require any new car sold in UK to be at least a hybrid, but it doesn't help to describe what you do in a manner almost suggesting that such is available to all if they put their mind to it.?

Bob posted earlier (not sure of the source) that 60% of the country have a drive so would be able to charge

I can see in the future flat car parks coming with charging points

Chargers in supermarkets

I mean my golf club has them but their type 1 and need replacing once they are people will use them whilst they play

Barnet in London if you don't have a drive offer a lamppost charge conversion thing .. which is brilliant idea

Once we get the cars with 500 charge in under 10 mins I think the issue will become a thing of the past tho

D

Deleted member 23270

I do find it remarkable that before this petrol and diesel ban they didn't ban cars that produce less than say 40 mpg minimum to encourage us to preserve oil rather than just burn through it

Same with speed limits, not reduced back down to 50s like in the oil crisis of the past
. Would really increase mpg

Also surprised they didn't ban non hybrids say from 2025 because hybrids are cracking tech and would really help people make the switch .. more affordable and cover the distance required

Some could do full ev mode on a plug in no problem others could just use it to top up their mpg which reduces emissions
You seem to think that people have enough spare cash to bin off certain cars, buy expensive EVs etc etc. You may have the financial means to do so but many people need a car for basic transport and struggle to afford to run any banger they can.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You seem to think that people have enough spare cash to bin off certain cars, buy expensive EVs etc etc. You may have the financial means to do so but many people need a car for basic transport and struggle to afford to run any banger they can.

You can pick up hybrids very cheap the tech has been around years

Prius, auris hybrids been around years ..

Pick up for under 5k easily

Some even 2k for the high milage models.

D

Deleted member 23270

You can pick up hybrids very cheap the tech has been around years

Prius, auris hybrids been around years ..

Pick up for under 5k easily

Some even 2k for the high milage models.
1. They are all crap
2. They start burning fuel after about 20 miles

Hardly fits your 'EVs will save the world' rhetoric.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1. They are all crap
2. They start burning fuel after about 20 miles

Hardly fits your 'EVs will save the world' rhetoric.

Your 2 point is incorrect, those hybrids burn fuel constantly the hybrid tops up the engine

I constantly got 60 plus mpg out of mine which was remarkable

Their not "crap" they had their place.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Bob posted earlier (not sure of the source) that 60% of the country have a drive so would be able to charge

I can see in the future flat car parks coming with charging points

Chargers in supermarkets

I mean my golf club has them but their type 1 and need replacing once they are people will use them whilst they play

Barnet in London if you don't have a drive offer a lamppost charge conversion thing .. which is brilliant idea

Once we get the cars with 500 charge in under 10 mins I think the issue will become a thing of the past tho

Yes, things are progressing. But I don't think that anyone is objecting to EV on principle.That they want ICE levels to stay and EV to go away as an unwelcome thing.? No, it all boils down to affordability and ability to use the new car technology.
I have mentioned before that I suspect that the technology ( of batteries))we require for fast , full charging is known to have been achieved or will be very soon. But there are reasons why it cannot be brought in immediately .
The oil industry has to be able to adjust, as others also.
It just doesn't seem feasible to me that this Government and others would push us in the EV direction if they did not know that their driving communities would be able to partake.
And as we have been seeing this last few weeks, there are unrelenting CO2 pressures also.