Reducing carbon emissions

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you know when you were told to wind yer neck in a few months ago - time for a take 2! Award yourseld a gold star, and go and take your diesel for a nice hike to get a big juicy steak!

Again thanks for the insight... Such useful tips from a top guy

Oh wait

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Oh, I get that. In this instance I was replying to a specific question rather than making a moral judgement. I think @BiMGuy asked it genuinely, he isn't a sarky poster although he could have pulled the wool over my eyes on this one :LOL:.

Very few sports have green credentials, it is just a matter of how bad really. No point in just existing but we do have to exist and look after things a bit better though.
Me sarcastic? Never.
I was however genuinely asking why someone thought F1 was one of the worst sports for emissions. When in fact it isn’t. F1 have taken huge steps to reduce emissions, it will never be perfect, but then nothing is. The F1 business side of this weekends race was carbon neutral.

Even if we go back to living in caves, humans will have an impact on our environment.

Personally, I’d start with banning log burners.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Me sarcastic? Never.
I was however genuinely asking why someone thought F1 was one of the worst sports for emissions. When in fact it isn’t. F1 have taken huge steps to reduce emissions, it will never be perfect, but then nothing is. The F1 business side of this weekends race was carbon neutral.

Even if we go back to living in caves, humans will have an impact on our environment.

Personally, I’d start with banning log burners.
I knew I could trust you ?.

I don't fully buy the carbon neutral thing though. Are you talking about purely the race itself or the whole transport to and from? What do they do, just pay for trees to be planted somewhere? I'm not being sarky now, ?, genuinely interested when organisations, companies etc make those claims. Very few stand up to much scrutiny.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Well the amount of fuel they burn on practice rounds and the race itself must be a lot, then add transportation of all the cars and accompanying teams around the world it’s not exactly climate friendly.
The fuel burned by the actual F1 cars is not worth talking about. The entire grid burns less fuel in a season than a 747 burns on a single transatlantic flight.
It's moving the circus around the world that contributes 99%+ of F1's carbon footprint (which of course is quite high).

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I've reduced my carbon footprint by
[lots of worthy eco-friendly things]
Unfortunately, you've offset pretty much everything on the list by having three offspring.
(In your defense, I presume you were planning to have only two and got surprised?)

One of the biggest contributions anyone can make for the future of the planet is to avoid breeding.

Leftitshort

Visit site
Again thanks for the insight... Such useful tips from a top guy

Oh wait
I don’t understand why you’re being so defensive. You make some valid points but all of these micro aggressions are detracting from your message. we all need to do more, I’m eating less red meat, and will consider a EV if I can make the charging work.
There will always be sceptics, shouting at them and belittling them won’t bring them with you.
Just ask yourself
‘What would Jesus do?’

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t understand why you’re being so defensive. You make some valid points but all of these micro aggressions are detracting from your message. we all need to do more, I’m eating less red meat, and will consider a EV if I can make the charging work.
There will always be sceptics, shouting at them and belittling them won’t bring them with you.
Just ask yourself
‘What would Jesus do?’

If you read the ev thread it's always the same names piping up with claims of how bad EVs are is the problem and it's just boring

Unfortunately, you've offset pretty much everything on the list by having three offspring.
(In your defense, I presume you were planning to have only two and got surprised?)

One of the biggest contributions anyone can make for the future of the planet is to avoid breeding.

Indeed, went for 2 and got twins.

But DW I've had the snip so no more surprises

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So let's look at the facts rather than the rubbish you like to post about it

I've reduced my carbon footprint by

Cutting down My boiler use for a more eco friendly heat pump.. from 100kw gas a day to 30kw

Reduced driving of the higher polluting car (that is still eco enough to get into the ultra low emission zone and will be road legal until it stops working)

Increased millage of the ev including car pooling with colleagues so they reduce their use of fossil fuels and use electric instead

Electric from green sources

Heat pump tumble over a normal tumble which uses far less electric

Cutting down on meat eating

Cutting down waste

Yet massive hypocrisy due to having air con (that's HVAC .. and very low pollution / energy use) and having a diesel that bearly does 3000 miles

Have a beautiful day Phillip.
You may be wealthy enough to install a heat pump system and drive an ev car plus a ice but what about the people that can't afford these things, are they uncaring about the environment or lazy. Rather than insulting people how about explaining how these people can get on the heat pump/ev train.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You may be wealthy enough to install a heat pump system and drive an ev car plus a ice but what about the people that can't afford these things, are they uncaring about the environment or lazy. Rather than insulting people how about explaining how these people can get on the heat pump/ev train.

Been done to death on the ev thread, and the same people pick holes in every bit of postive posted so meh

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've been through many postives, ways to get into EVs on the cheap. With in depth detail but the same 4 ball of doom and gloom pop up to moan and pick holes

It's boring.
Not trying to pick any holes. I am genuinely interested in how a very large amount of the population can possibly get heat pumps and EVs when they are obviously way out of their price range. It's a bit like solar panels and feed in rates, the less well off have to subsidise the better off by paying more for their energy.

Also, when you say ways to get EVs on the cheap, what do you mean by cheap? It's the poorer again that will only be able to afford the old second hand worn out gas guzzlers, how do you suggest they get onto the eco heating/driving ladder.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not trying to pick any holes. I am genuinely interested in how a very large amount of the population can possibly get heat pumps and EVs when they are obviously way out of their price range. It's a bit like solar panels and feed in rates, the less well off have to subsidise the better off by paying more for their energy.

Also, when you say ways to get EVs on the cheap, what do you mean by cheap? It's the poorer again that will only be able to afford the old second hand worn out gas guzzlers, how do you suggest they get onto the eco heating/driving ladder.

Feel free to pm me about it as anything I post on here the naysayers will just try and pick holes in any postive side so what's the point

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it.
Robert Swan; historian, explorer, and activist

Yes, true.
It's a pity that Carl Sagan wasn't around to give his "Man in his arrogance " speech at Glasgow.
At the very least it should have been read out.
That speech says it better than anyone else.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
The fuel burned by the actual F1 cars is not worth talking about. The entire grid burns less fuel in a season than a 747 burns on a single transatlantic flight.
It's moving the circus around the world that contributes 99%+ of F1's carbon footprint (which of course is quite high).

The other thing to mention is the technology trickle down. KERS and electric motors have come a very long way thanks to F1 technology. Every modern car is more efficient and burns less fuel (whether dead dinosaurs or magical fairy dust) thanks to brake and tyre technology developed in F1. F1 continues to attract alot more high flyers in research and development than the green movement, and puts them all to work on difficult problems with a better budget. So there are a good number of intangible benefits.