Red Wine

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have any drinkers?

I recently enjoyed a bottle with a mate after we drank all the lager and I can't get enough. Best I've found so far is manor creek in aldi, it's British and 8%. BUT a you can actually taste fruit!

Anybody else got a taste for the red stuff and can anyone recommend a wine that is worth spending more than £2.99 (manor creek)

I tried a merlot recently and that was like drinking banana skins (dry mouth instantly)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have any drinkers?

I recently enjoyed a bottle with a mate after we drank all the lager and I can't get enough. Best I've found so far is manor creek in aldi, it's British and 8%. BUT a you can actually taste fruit!

Anybody else got a taste for the red stuff and can anyone recommend a wine that is worth spending more than £2.99 (manor creek)

I tried a merlot recently and that was like drinking banana skins (dry mouth instantly)

Jacobs Creek Merlot is worth a pop

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Try Chateauneuf du Pape. It's expensive, but you can occasionally get it for £10 a bottle. I save it for special occasions, and drink it at the start of the evening - it's wasted if you're already wasted!

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have visited Italy several times with work and always had fantastic wine with meals when being entertained, never remembered to get any details and can never remember the wines name etc. Problem is the Italians drink wine all the time its hard to keep up.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try Chateauneuf du Pape. It's expensive, but you can occasionally get it for £10 a bottle. I save it for special occasions, and drink it at the start of the evening - it's wasted if you're already wasted!

Ditto that.
Any red wine, for me, has to be full bodied..........at least 13%, minimum.
Try a bottle of Wolf Blass (yellow label) cabernet sauvignon. (13.5% ABV)
Best with a medium fillet steak, (with a fried egg on top), sprouts, cauli cheese, mashed tats & fresh bread & butter.
Go on..........................you know you want to!

Enjoy,
Slime.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
As mentioned, Chateauneuf de Pape is nice but expensive.

I love Spanish or Chilean Rioja.

Depends on your taste, some of the Australian red is OK aswell.

If it's not for a special occasion I usually look to get a "half price" wine or wines in the supermarkets. Can get some very good bottles for £4/5/6 when they're on offer.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like a full bodied red but have also developed a taste for the thinner red drunk chilled, my folks have brought me back a few bottles of a red called St Nicholas that is superb. Also like Brouilly.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cilean Carmenere is a little bit less sugary than some Chilean these days
Argentinian Malbec
Cahors (France) - is very dark and robust (often called Bulls Blood, or at least a particualr brand is)
Sainsburys and tesco do a Zinfandel (red not rose, or "white" as the rose is tended to be called) from Lodi (Sonoma valley north of San Fransisco IIRC) - typically £9.50 !! So if they ever mark it down to £6 (whcih they do circa once a year) then it is very worth it.

i drink far too much - at least it is Red and not White - everyone knows that all middle aged men need to drink half a bottle of red a night for their health

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ditto that.
Any red wine, for me, has to be full bodied..........at least 13%, minimum.
Try a bottle of Wolf Blass (yellow label) cabernet sauvignon. (13.5% ABV)
Best with a medium fillet steak, (with a fried egg on top), sprouts, cauli cheese, mashed tats & fresh bread & butter.
Go on..........................you know you want to!

Enjoy,
Slime.

Well...the diets out the window this weekend...thank you kindly! Haha

I thought wine was better for you than beer...that's why I stopped drinking the amber nectar

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I like a full bodied red but have also developed a taste for the thinner red drunk chilled, my folks have brought me back a few bottles of a red called St Nicholas that is superb. Also like Brouilly.

A red,extremely cheap at 2.50 euro a pop is Jesus del Nero and this is served chilled and is beautiful.Sadly I have yet to come across it in UK.....no surprise at that price.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Asda,Morrisons and Tesco all have very good wine selections,and always have deals on various wines.Could sit here all night recommending wines,but everybodies palate is different.There are lots of decent reds in the £8-£12 range,that you can get half price,and Tesco will knock another 5% off if you buy a case (6 bottles).
One of my favourite mid priced reds over the last few years was Namaqua Olifants River Reserve Shiraz,it was around the £10 a bottle mark,but sadly no longer available.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not convinced about tescos at all, and i am sure they dont stock their sale wines so tha you are forced to buy full price
I really do like Sainsburys' choice - they always have enough sale bottles on to allow me to buy 3 or 4 bottles a week.
Morrisons have good and bad weeks - the last 2 weeks have been excellent but they were rubbish over Xmas
Asda are just variable - for some reason they discount loads of their really good wines at the same time, and the next week they discount only the sugar water bottles - but it obviously works for them.
Waitrose, as far as i'm concerned, have priced themselves far out of teh market and their wines no longer distinguish themselves from the others.

However, holiday wines always taste better when you are there.
And also , year to year, ones' favourite bottles can be horrendously different in taste and quality - but that is wine.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
On our annual ski trip to France we used to stop off at the hypermarket in geneva on the night before we flew home, and would get 3 bottles of French Red (usually Bordeaux) - at 1E, 3E and 5E, and then played "guess the price" over dinner (6 of us). The cheap one almost always won :)

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As mentioned, Chateauneuf de Pape is nice but expensive.

I love Spanish or Chilean Rioja.

Depends on your taste, some of the Australian red is OK aswell.

If it's not for a special occasion I usually look to get a "half price" wine or wines in the supermarkets. Can get some very good bottles for £4/5/6 when they're on offer.

Agree with the Rioja advice, my tipple of choice for a nice meal with HID.
For a cheap scoop you could do worse than Asda. They do a great wee Chilean Merlot and Spanish Tempranillo, both for about £3.50...job done