Wine connoisseurs, what do I do?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So after getting rid of the sprogs Friday night I picked up me parents Saturday morning and set off for Dudley for the bank holiday wi Missis T. For those that don't know Dudley is west of Birmingham and they speak a language that is similar to the queens English. Anyway it was an area I very quickly fell in love with. An area steeped in graft. Not to disimilar to my own background. It is fair to say they did there bit in the industrial revolution. We did the Living Black Country museum ( which has just got another £9 million) and the Dudley canal next door and we just loved it. Did the Mad O'roukes pie factory and that is worth a blog on its own.
However a trip to Big cols car boot reaped its rewards. As soon as I mentioned a possible trip to big cols. Me ma turned it into a deffo. I was proper bogged off with the traffic, but eventually we got there. Within five mins of getting there, it was winkin at me. It was there with its four other pals. A bottle of Red Chateau de pommard 1997. Jean Louis Laplanche is the proprietaire. Complete with box. Booyakasha. Now the guy had four bottles of white wine of the same age from the same vineyard, but I was not interested in the white one bit. He wanted £20 for the lot. I gave him a fiver for the vinegar sorry red. Anyway ma and pa and Missis T said he saw me coming. We got back to the B and B and I googled it. Forty odd quid a bottle if you can get it. Have some of that Missis T.
But what the flippin Eck do I do with it. Stick it in me wine fridge? Sup it one day? How long to open it before i taste it? Sup it at room temp? Don't get me wrong, it's not the oldest bottle of quaff I have but it is the oldest I have that I will sup one day.
Any advice from the connoisseurs greatly appreciated.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Make sure you drink it at the proper temperature & not too warm. "Room temperature", I read somewhere, refers to the kind of temperatures we had before central heating arrived. Around 12° to 18° is recommended, lower than the average room temperature.

The most expensive bottle of wine I ever bought I never tasted. I opened it for our wedding anniversary. I'd had a cold & hadn't realised I'd lost my taste. Couldn't tell you what it easier like.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The most expensive bottle of wine I ever bought I never tasted. I opened it for our wedding anniversary. I'd had a cold & hadn't realised I'd lost my taste. Couldn't tell you what it easier like.

An awful thing to happen - I've had that happen when I've been on trips dedicated to beer. Alcohol can make my sinuses flare up. Sad times. I've had a few supposedly world class beers that didn't hit the spot as they should because was taste was muted somewhat.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where has the stuff been stored? In a dark room on it's side? What I'm trying to say is if the stuff has been stored correctly it will be a treat, if not, oh well.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think I'd be drinking it sooner rather than later...

If it's been stored incorrectly [previously] no amount of loving care from yourself will revive it...

Hopefully it turns out to be a good 'in.... If it doesn't, it's not cost you a kings ransom...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You have to open and drink (if you can) at least one bottle. Only the very best wines stored under perfect conditions will last for donkeys years. Maybe somebody tasted one and realised it was now corked hence the sell off price.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You should drink it quite soon! 1997 was an 'Ok' year in Burgundy, but wines won't get any better!

Chateau de Pommard has quite a history! I remember reading about it (Jancis Robinson or Hugh Johnson?) many years ago in my wine obsession days. Perhaps best your Mother isn't around when you imbibe! :rolleyes:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Where has the stuff been stored? In a dark room on it's side? What I'm trying to say is if the stuff has been stored correctly it will be a treat, if not, oh well.

Would imagine that it has been stored in the dark for most of its life as it is in a presentation wooden box. Got a feeling it's gonna be history come Christmas Day. Al have a bottle of Barolo standing by as reserve if the Pommard ends up in the gravy 😁👍