Red Wine

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
like everything in life you get what you pay for, there's not many-if any- wines that are decent for £2.99;)

if you dont want the medicinal tasting wines-who does- then pretty much any Sicilian wine or one with the Sangiovesy grape can be taken with most foods or taken on its own. Quite smooth and not to many tannins.

The most expensive wine I had was probably the worst I've ever tasted, its all a matter of personal taste, the funs in the trying

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure about all the support for rioja. I think not worth drinking unless you're prepared to part with decent money. If you want spanish look for stuff from the Ribero del Duero . If you want cheap but drinkable red zinfandel tends to be ok - which generally means from california or other new world areas

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site

£2.99 pays for the bottle and the transportation. If you pay a bit more you'll actually be paying for the wine and the quality will improve dramatically. If you don't want to spend a fortune look for Argintinian Malbec and if you want to splash out grab a red from Provence in the south of France. Chateauneuf de Papes has been mentioned but Vaqueras and Gigondas are tip top too :)
Italian reds are also good, Barolo is the big name but a close second in my opinion (and more affordable) is Bardolino Classico.

S

Snelly

I am not a massive fan of heavy reds so don't enjoy Barolo all that much. Nor Rioja really.

Most of the wine I buy is relatively easy going claret or pinot Noir's from NZ south island. I certainly drink more French or Italian red wine than any other.

In addition, I get two mixed cases per month with tasting notes delivered to home from here. http://www.southdownscellars.co.uk/ Usually excellent and it's interesting and enjoyable to read about them and taste them against that context.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In addition, I get two mixed cases per month with tasting notes delivered to home from here. http://www.southdownscellars.co.uk/ Usually excellent and it's interesting and enjoyable to read about them and taste them against that context.

Good man!

Another big fan of Rioja or Argentinian Malbec here.

I find old world wines, esp French, a little inaccesible as they have tended not to put grape varieties on the the bottle, although that is changing.

With new world wines, it's easier to know what you're getting and make an educated guess if it's to your taste.

I do like French wines but need a bit of help choosing ones that suit my taste, which is where a good wine merchant is worth their weight in gold, and where supermarkets are found lacking IMO.

Last edited:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
... but Vaqueras and Gigondas are tip top too :)
Italian reds are also good, Barolo is the big name but a close second in my opinion (and more affordable) is Bardolino Classico.

oooh - you ar etalking dirty now !!!!

Very few people ssem to knwo Vaqueras which is divine, and Gigondas is a Christmas treat (but before they start getting the false Xmas wines in)

And Barolo, you really have to be in eth right farme of mind for, and get the food right, but it is a beast .

Now, here is the real secret recommendation, so don't tell anyone :

Lachrymae Christae - Italian, means the tears of Christ,
beautiful beautiful red, HAVE to get teh temperature spot on, can't be cool, needs the warmth to bring out teh flavours - special special wne

D

Deleted member 1740

Im not massive fan of red wine but Yellow Tail Shiraz is absolutely beautiful and it's only £5 a bottle.

mouth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm in the Argentinian Malbec camp I'm afraid. My theory- if they don't sell it in Wetherspoons then it's probably quite nice. Goes for most other forms of alcohol as well...........

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very few people ssem to knwo Vaqueras which is divine, and Gigondas is a Christmas treat

I like to spend my summer holidays in Provence driving around and collecting local wines to drink. I can't wait until July, 3 weeks of wine ponce pleasure, and it happens to be my 30th birthday :D :whoo: