Red stake - drop

Bert

Club Champion
Visit site
Par three at ours there is a pond directly in front of the green. Took my tee shot it cleared the pond but the ball spun back into the water. Question with regard the drop, can I drop greenside as this was point of entry or do I take the drop the other side of the pond. Hope that makes sense.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
If your ball clearly entered the red penalty area from the green side, that is your reference point for taking penalty area relief.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Par three at ours there is a pond directly in front of the green. Took my tee shot it cleared the pond but the ball spun back into the water. Question with regard the drop, can I drop greenside as this was point of entry or do I take the drop the other side of the pond. Hope that makes sense.
Is the pond marked as Red or a Yellow Penalty area.

wjemather

Visit site
Where did the ball last cross the boundary of the Penalty Area? This is your reference point for penalty relief.

Note: I don't know how your course is marked out, but quite often water can be cleared without actually crossing the far boundary of a Penalty Area.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Your reference point (RP is where the ball last crossed into the penalty area. Your relief area is 2 club lengths from the RP, though you cannot drop nearer the hole than the RP. For more detail read Rule 17.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surprised it is red if it is directly in front of the green.

Assume you have to be able to drop not nearer the hole than the reference point?