Recommend me a midsize (I think!) Putter grip please

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Evening all,

In my attempts to cure my horrific putting I am putting left hand (marginally) below right as this aligns me correctly, and much better than left hand completely below right.

The grip on my putter is too small for how I want to grip it so need a midsize one, anyone any recommendations?

I don't want or need a 2 thumb one as don't want my hands level, plus I have very small childlike hands :). Just a bit bigger than a normal putter grip.... does such a thing exist?

Thanks in advance for your help.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a grip on an old putter and I wanted it a bit thicker so put on about 8 layers of tape :D :D Was a job getting the grip on but it felt great, until I decided to change to a normal grip :rolleyes:

Maybe something to consider if all else fails.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a grip on an old putter and I wanted it a bit thicker so put on about 8 layers of tape :D :D Was a job getting the grip on but it felt great, until I decided to change to a normal grip :rolleyes:

Maybe something to consider if all else fails.

Cheers Chris, that could be the answer.....

I was given a grip by one of the pros but wasn't as thick as I expected so I could build it up.

Question (and may be a stupid one, this is my first time doing it myself) but could I just use masking tape to build up a few layers and then put the grip tape on top of that?

Thanks

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont see why it wouldn't work. Just be careful that the masking tape is not too thick and the grip wont go over it!

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I picked up a few for a couple of friends from Gamola.

Got a mid size (ie just a bit fatter than normal) and a fat one too (almost 2 thumb). They seem to go down quite well with the guys using them.

Just each for puttr midsize and I think you'll find them.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont see why it wouldn't work. Just be careful that the masking tape is not too thick and the grip wont go over it!

Thanks again for the reply Chris.

I will probably just do a couple of layers of masking tape as I don't want it too thick. Hadn't thought about building it up (a novice at this DIY carry on) hence me asking for a recommendation on a different one.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I picked up a few for a couple of friends from Gamola.

Got a mid size (ie just a bit fatter than normal) and a fat one too (almost 2 thumb). They seem to go down quite well with the guys using them.

Just each for puttr midsize and I think you'll find them.

Cheers BT.

I got a Lamkin 2Ten (I think that was the name) for nowt so going to try it with some extra masking tape. If it goes bristol's up I've not lost anything as the grips on the Cleveland Classic putters are terrible anyway!

I messed around with one and realised I was actually quite a wristy putter with a normal grip that I didn't think I was....

Looking forward to trying this out, much more confident that I'm hitting it in the right direction now, always a good start :whistle:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Im using a tiger shark midsized grip, measures 30mm just below the logo and is a little under a two thumb putter. Feels really nice compared to thinner grips.
20120314_201233.jpg

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
ALright there, the masking tape approach is perfect. Use this to build up under all my clubs before applying double sided tape - scotch variety nowt special - acquired from school.
Personally I have switched to a winn jumbo with great results. Bad days are better and good days are great - seem to be sinking many more in the 6-10 foot range. Pro at my spot had one look at my putting stroke when I went to buy a new one to play with and just said keep it and whack this grip on - job done.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
ALright there, the masking tape approach is perfect. Use this to build up under all my clubs before applying double sided tape - scotch variety nowt special - acquired from school.
Personally I have switched to a winn jumbo with great results. Bad days are better and good days are great - seem to be sinking many more in the 6-10 foot range. Pro at my spot had one look at my putting stroke when I went to buy a new one to play with and just said keep it and whack this grip on - job done.

Alright mate.

Cheers for this, what I was hoping to hear :).

Going to try this midsize one and build it up with masking tape tomorrow and see how I go. Got really small hands so wary of going to one of the massive grips without trying the intermediate step.

Need to get a game sorted soon, our place is drying out eventually.....

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nwj, I got a Winn midsize from gamola for my 2 ball, I putt left hand low, not completely low, I interlock the ring finger and little finger of the left hand, and I find that my hands fit very well to this grip, hand span is 8.5 inches, I use a small mens glove though I remove it when putting. Only cost about 5-6 quid.
Good luck with the putting, a grip change certainly helped me.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nwj, I got a Winn midsize from gamola for my 2 ball, I putt left hand low, not completely low, I interlock the ring finger and little finger of the left hand, and I find that my hands fit very well to this grip, hand span is 8.5 inches, I use a small mens glove though I remove it when putting. Only cost about 5-6 quid.
Good luck with the putting, a grip change certainly helped me.

Thanks JT.

Very similar to me, I use a small glove so didn't want to get one of the massive grips.

Got a midsize one here that I'm going to try to put on today, probably use a couple of layers of masking tape underneath to make it a bit thicker than it currently is.

Mike_j_golf

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have put a P2 putter grip on my 2 ball and have found it brillant, think it would work really well with left below right grip. It is a bit expensive and wont take any extra tape as that will wreck the idea of the grip.
Mike