Recommandations for Scotland

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good afternoon folks. I am back after a very long layoff. Work has been crazy busy and golf has taken a back seat. :(

However, A mate & I are heading up the the Old Firm game next weekend.
Our plan is leave Cambs around 6am and play a round of golf in the afternoon. We would like to play links. I have been looking at Robert the Bruce @ Turnberry, Dundonald and Gailes Links on the west coast and Gullane (2) and Craigielaw on the east coast.

I would love to hear from any of you guys with some more courses.
Don't want to go further north than Glasgow. Happy with both coasts. £120 a round maximum.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
don't think you can go wrong with any of those though i havn't played Robert the Bruce. other side (East)have a look at Dunbar as well, though Gullane no 2 is pretty good and i enjoy it more no1

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Robert the Bruce didn’t rock my boat, but then after playing on the Ailsa it was always going to struggle, but then I even preferred Siloth to it, so there’s another consideration, excellent links course and cheap as chips to what your looking to pay out.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Robert the Bruce is not a great track. We played it the day after the Alisa and it was like being stuck with Cinderella’s ugly sister after the ball

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played the Robert the Bruce course before the Ailsa and so enjoyed it. It's clearly going to come second to the Ailsa so no wonder if you play it second it will be a let down. I found it fun to play, a nice test but it won't beat you up. You get the added joy of experiencing the joy that is Turnberry. I'd happily play it again.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Played Dundonald today, weather was absolutely horrific but the course is absolutely fantastic, highly recommend it.

craiglester

Hacker
Visit site
Having looked at your journry from Cambridgeshire to Glasgow, i would suggest Silloth or Southerness. it would be too much hassle to turn off the A74 to visit Ayr.

Cheers
Craig

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having looked at your journry from Cambridgeshire to Glasgow, i would suggest Silloth or Southerness. it would be too much hassle to turn off the A74 to visit Ayr.

Cheers
Craig

I have looked at route and indeed a good 6hrs.to Ayr. We play to leave at 6am and tee off around 1330/1400.
Silloth does mate sense as not as much of a detour but we wanted to sample links golf in Scotland.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Good afternoon folks. I am back after a very long layoff. Work has been crazy busy and golf has taken a back seat. :(

However, A mate & I are heading up the the Old Firm game next weekend.
Our plan is leave Cambs around 6am and play a round of golf in the afternoon. We would like to play links. I have been looking at Robert the Bruce @ Turnberry, Dundonald and Gailes Links on the west coast and Gullane (2) and Craigielaw on the east coast.

I would love to hear from any of you guys with some more courses.
Don't want to go further north than Glasgow. Happy with both coasts. £120 a round maximum.

I wouldn’t stop at Glasgow Gailes if you are only playing one course. It didn’t leave me wanting to get back to play it again. Pretty flat although nothing really wrong with it. Just keeping good company in that part of the world.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I wouldn’t stop at Glasgow Gailes if you are only playing one course. It didn’t leave me wanting to get back to play it again. Pretty flat although nothing really wrong with it. Just keeping good company in that part of the world.

That's a bit unfair on GG I think, although being biased I think Dundonald is a better track that GG.

Some great golf holes on GG, I don't agree with all the heather and tree stripping but its made it more playable that's for sure. I like GG and think its a good test of golf. Great clubhouse and food too.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have looked at route and indeed a good 6hrs.to Ayr. We play to leave at 6am and tee off around 1330/1400.
Silloth does mate sense as not as much of a detour but we wanted to sample links golf in Scotland.
Go for dundonald u will love it. And depending on traffic can be in city centre in 50mins.