Ready to take the plunge

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
ok..so i promised myself i wouldn't splash any more money out on golf equipment until i was sure it was not a fad.

having spent last few months playing i can safely say footy can go kiss my derrier. got so much more enjoyment from playing golf than i ever did playing for the local!

sooo..i currently play with a RAM package set, cost me £109 from JJB and came with 12 slazenger balls and 75 mahoosive tees. all 12 balls are currently in the river skerne, but the clubs do me fine.

however, im ready to spend a bit of cash, in return hoping to eek some more improvement out my game

what i wondering was, does anyone think the Cobra S3 Irons are good value (currently £299 at AG) they look super cool.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have the effectivly the same irons but rebranded as Taylormade. They are great to hit and super forgiving. Beware though due to stron lofts they might so a fair bit further than your current irons. Chose mine over the Cobras because I got a better deal at the time.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice looking irons fair price there are slightly lower around online but you might find they are smaller sets (5-PW).

Very forgiving and well worth a bash in AG. Have fun trying :)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a thought on replacing the balls that now reside in the river skerne , have a look in the for sale section craw is selling some Srixon , very right .. no point in hitting new expensive ones for the winter .. just a thought ..

drutz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
ok..so i promised myself i wouldn't splash any more money out on golf equipment until i was sure it was not a fad.

having spent last few months playing i can safely say footy can go kiss my derrier. got so much more enjoyment from playing golf than i ever did playing for the local!

sooo..i currently play with a RAM package set, cost me £109 from JJB and came with 12 slazenger balls and 75 mahoosive tees. all 12 balls are currently in the river skerne, but the clubs do me fine.

however, im ready to spend a bit of cash, in return hoping to eek some more improvement out my game

what i wondering was, does anyone think the Cobra S3 Irons are good value (currently £299 at AG) they look super cool.

My first question would be how is your overall game/swing because the best clubs in the world won't improve your game if your basics are not there. I would suggest if your game is good then carry on and buy the clubs, if it is not then spend the cash on some lessons first.
I have some JJB Slazenger clubs 4-PW and I am having lessons. At the moment I have promised myself until I can hit those well there is no point in splashing cash on better clubs. If the guy swinging the club can't hit it consistantly, as I can't, different clubs won't help me to.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't think that clubs are going to make all the difference, played with a 9 capper yesterday who had Dunlop 65 irons 4-SW which he paid £1.00 each for new from sports direct as a clear out, had the matching hybrid,,,. That was £2.00 and a outer also from Dunlop that was £5.00-so this end of he's bag owed him a massive £15.00, he had a used callaway 5w and driver which is on loan and off the backs around my place in very tough conditions still shot 34pts from 9hc

The irons were big clunky super game improvers that you would expect to see a kid get as he's first set but he hit them miles, could shape the ball on demand and hit a very wide range of shots from half shot low punches into the wind through to big monster drivers drawing around corners and so on.

I was tempted to give me mine and walk off, he would have done them more justice.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know how it feels to be drawn to shinny new stuff but you would be a better golfer if you spent the £299 on lessons than clubs. Your game and swing will change so much in the near future that new clubs baught now might not be what you need a year down the line

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Cheers for the response guys,

Unfortunately didnt read the last few messages till now, just as i got back from a little trip out!!

Now have in possession some cobra s3 irons...

My reasoning behind a bit of improvement from these clubs is because one of my regular buddies i play rounds with is a 6 h'capper and during a round he asked for a go of the 5 hybrid and a 6 iron from my set.

As soon as he hit both he commented on their 'heavy' swing and how he felt they were a bit 'dead' on impact.

As they are the only clubs ive ever used i didnt have a clue what he was going on about, but took his word.

Had a quick go with them in the shop and they feel great. and look fab. If anything esle, il feel more confident on the course just because i have a shiny new set.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the response guys,

Unfortunately didnt read the last few messages till now, just as i got back from a little trip out!!

Now have in possession some cobra s3 irons...

My reasoning behind a bit of improvement from these clubs is because one of my regular buddies i play rounds with is a 6 h'capper and during a round he asked for a go of the 5 hybrid and a 6 iron from my set.

As soon as he hit both he commented on their 'heavy' swing and how he felt they were a bit 'dead' on impact.

As they are the only clubs ive ever used i didnt have a clue what he was going on about, but took his word.

Had a quick go with them in the shop and they feel great. and look fab. If anything esle, il feel more confident on the course just because i have a shiny new set.

Good luck with the new clubs :)

It's dangerous to take someone else's word for how your clubs feel, because different things suit different people. I reckon Rory McIlroy's irons might feel a bit dead to me, and mine would feel like a fishing rod to him, but they each suit our own swings.

New shiny's are nice though, and confidence is worth a lot in golf.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have the Cobra S3 and they are very good for where you currently are. It will a good 2 or 3 years before you are at a level where they would not be suitable anymore in my opinion. I've had mine a year and the only issue I have with them is that they launch very high for me but that's more to do with swing. Until my swing is getting close to where I want it to be I won't consider changing my irons.

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have the Cobra S3 and they are very good for where you currently are. It will a good 2 or 3 years before you are at a level where they would not be suitable anymore in my opinion. I've had mine a year and the only issue I have with them is that they launch very high for me but that's more to do with swing. Until my swing is getting close to where I want it to be I won't consider changing my irons.

Exactly,

I mean i know for sure that i need lessons and my swing needs to improve. I'm not saying the clubs will immediately make me play better, but if i want to improve, and i am going improve, why not do it with a better set of clubs than my current bargain basement type.

Plus - i love impulse buying, i probs end with a new set of clubs before the new year.

Currently house a tortoise and PS3, neither of which i really needed/wanted - but due to my sudden urges, both are now pride of my living room hehe