Reading Putts

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I've noticed that since i came back to the game i've had real problems reading putts. I work on my stroke all the time ( Have a small green in the back garden) so it's pretty good. The problem is that when i hit the course, i tend to miss alot of putts through miss reads.

Is there any way of improving? I realise it's more of an art than a science but it's the last part of my game that's stopping me hit the next level. Very frustrating

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I crouch behind the line and try to imagine the ball rolling towards the hole and which way the contours will take it.
Repeat until I have the line where the ball finishes in the hole.

Some people say it makes it easier trying to visualise which way water would run on the green.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reading putts is a bit of a lost-art and very underestimated part of the game.

Personally, I have to look at the putt from in front and behind the hole, and then, as I'm walking between the two, gauge the side angle. I visualise what the ball is likely to do and select an aim point about 6 inches in front of the ball.

I do take a bit of time doing this, but for me, it gives good results!

granters

Q-School Graduate
i think we spend so long practicing techique it is a bit of a forgotten art. I for one don't spend long looking at lines etc. Maybe that's the problem. I am finding it hard to visualise it though.

Are there any drills for this? Or is it just a case of woking out a routine that covers all the bases?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just developed a routine that just works - considers up, down, left, right (bit obvious! ;) ), but definitely looking from behind the hole helps. If we're talking noticeable breaks, then most of the break affecting the ball will happen when the ball loses speed; e.g. near the hole.

My teaching pro says that most don't spend enough time reading putts. I don't personally know of any drills regarding putt reading. BobMac may know?

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Knowing that the putt breaks more as it gets closer to the hole I try to visulise the putt line from the hole to me ie seeing the ball rolling as if you had putted from the hole to your marker.
Judging line has to be far more art than technique.

granters

Q-School Graduate
Knowing that the putt breaks more as it gets closer to the hole I try to visulise the putt line from the hole to me ie seeing the ball rolling as if you had putted from the hole to your marker.
Judging line has to be far more art than technique.

That's a great way of thinking and really could be effective. In all the years i've been playing i've never thought of it!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't like to take too long either as I tend to over complicate things, I just try to imagine how the ball will go. Also remember to watch your playing partners putts if they ate before you! Most of the greens on our back nine break towards the road as a general rule! The green on my 13th alway catches me out as there is a mound rear centre which is really tricky to see without getting really low to the ground!