Re-new Golf Club membership or not?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm looking for some Forum views on this as money becomes more and more scarce in these tough economic times.
What has prompted me to think about this, as well as the above, is the recent bad weather. I haven't played since just before Christmas, what with all the rain snow and ice. Remembering last years extreme rain fall and the excessive snow in 2010 leaves me thinking, is this now going to be the norm.

Is it worth shelling out approx. £800 of my hard earned knowing that some weeks are going to be lost because of bad weather conditions. Even when we get back out on the course, it's going to take time for conditions to be suitable for enjoyable golfing, and subsequently reducing handicaps.

Which brings me to my next point, and whilst I know Golf Clubs cannot legislate for good weather, are they doing enough, or indeed should they be trying to entice loyal members to re-new their memberships? Do any of your clubs or ones that you know of, have any plans in place? I'd be interested to hear from anybody, (Dodger?) involved in Management or committees with their ideas and what their thoughts are.

So, is it just pay and play as and when conditions allow, or stump up the cash and shut up!

Or am I just over reacting 'cos I can't get out there and play! :p

Views welcomed! :thup:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Everybody's situation is different and you have to consider all factors when making your decision. I wanted to play a few opens some competitive golf and bounce games early on a weekend, to suit my family commitments the only way this is possible is to be a member.
I could probaly save some money pay as play but I wouldn't play half as much despite being frustrated at frequent closures my course is reacting by improving drainage and as far as I can see doing the best they can opening a few holes if poss rather than shutting completely etc.
Don't do anything in haste.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Good point. How many rounds do you play in the better months...is it worth the full whack? I've not renewed my Royal Musselburgh membership yet and I dont intend to until I think the course is worth playing. Hate fairway mats, winter greens and tees. I think it will only be a 5 day membership if I join again. No hesitation in joining Dunbar again this year.......all year golf, full greens and tees, well run transparent club and a course thats a joy to walk round.

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I feel i' ll have to renew mine when its due, 1st year at the club and £800 joining fee, but i like the club and take the bad times with the weather, and i do like being a member of a club.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Go for it, you will only regret it if we have a great summer and if we don't then get your waterproofs on. I suppose it depends on how much you love this great game and what weather you will endure to get out playing.

Do it, do it :clap:

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everybody's situation is different and you have to consider all factors when making your decision. I wanted to play a few opens some competitive golf and bounce games early on a weekend, to suit my family commitments the only way this is possible is to be a member.
I could probaly save some money pay as play but I wouldn't play half as much despite being frustrated at frequent closures my course is reacting by improving drainage and as far as I can see doing the best they can opening a few holes if poss rather than shutting completely etc.

Thanks for reply,

I won't be doing anything in haste as membership is due in April, so just thinking about it now.

Good point. How many rounds do you play in the better months...is it worth the full whack? I've not renewed my Royal Musselburgh membership yet and I dont intend to until I think the course is worth playing. Hate fairway mats, winter greens and tees. I think it will only be a 5 day membership if I join again. No hesitation in joining Dunbar again this year.......all year golf, full greens and tees, well run transparent club and a course thats a joy to walk round.

Hi Tommo,

I usually play once a week, so would work out ok cost wise. Mine is a well run club too and very friendly and always working on and improving the course. They have a 5 year plan to increase the yardage by 5-600 yds.
One thought I did have was to not re-new for one year, to see what the difference would be in terms of missing the place as well as costs etc.

I feel i' ll have to renew mine when its due, 1st year at the club and £800 joining fee, but i like the club and take the bad times with the weather, and i do like being a member of a club.

Certainly agree with you, as it's your first year and all. And yes, you can't beat being a member!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Tommo, I've been giving serious thought to joining Dunbar..... Do you know much about the ladies section there? How many ladies, weekend comps etc?

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had the same thought when I was due to renew in January. I did not manage to get many rounds in last year due to the weather/work and doubted it was worth it. If we get the same weather this spring/summer then I doubt I will rejoin for 2014.
There are plenty of games to be had with folk on here.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm in the same position, we've had 2 months of minimal golf, early jan we managed 1 comp on 16 holes. Since the snow and now thaw we've opened 5 holes and cut them in half to make an 9 hole par 3 course, tee to temp green, temp tee to green, next hole.

It's starting to get annoying, I know it's not their fault, but could they improve certain parts, drainage, etc? Offer current members a cheaper renewal?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
For me, yes. I'll probably play 50 rounds at weekends even accounting for the weather (lost the last 2 weekends) and probably another 25 9/12 holes midweek. Cheapest weekend green fee when I last looked was £25, so that's £1,250, call it another £250 at twilight rate for the mod weeks, that's £1,500, the sub is £1,600. If I went down the green fee route, I would then have the aggravation of having to book the tee times if I can get one. The club route makes booking the times easier and means there's a regular crowd to play with, which makes it more enjoyable, and also there's the social side of the club, which means I probably play more as a member than as a green fee payer. There's also the incentive of knowing there's a game available, which isn't necessarily the case on the green fee route. So for me it's a no brainer for the price difference and that's how I justify it to myself.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Firstly I think we have all become a little disheatened by the extremes in weather we have had over the last 12 months. Remember this time last year we were all happily playing in dry courses as we experienced one of the driest winters in a long time. Living in Cornwall we didn't have quiet as dry a winter or summer before for that matter and we have just got on with it. We have played matches in terrible conditions, medals in the pouring rain and matchplay games in hail showers but we have still played. We haven't really had a good summer down here for 4 years now.
One thing you need to remember is you need to be a member of a club to keep your handicap active so even if your thinking of pay and play or playing in opens your still going to need a home club. Maybe look for a cheaper club to join in your area but then you'll probably have to pay a joining fee and is that putting the price up too high.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have decided not to renew my membership this year. I only play once a week and not every week and even though membership is only 400 a year its only 15 quid a time for a green fee & the course was shut for approx 4 weekends last year + 3 so far this year due to ice/snow/flooding. As I wont be playing a round until end of feb/early march I thought sod it.

the main reason is financial of course as my club have 4 x £100 payments from feb to may and at the mo I cant see me having ten quid spare let alone a ton. Bills have all gone up it seems but wages are the same = something has to give :(

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have already decided to leave my club. With 6 weeks lost at the beginning of the season, and so far only 9 holes occasionally open since October, and with no prospect of any recompense, I have no good reason for staying.
Drawback is that any other club around here is more expensive. I took out winter membership at Abbotsley with the aim of joining in April but with the weather and far too much work, have only managed three rounds there.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have decided not to renew my membership this year. I only play once a week and not every week and even though membership is only 400 a year its only 15 quid a time for a green fee & the course was shut for approx 4 weekends last year + 3 so far this year due to ice/snow/flooding. As I wont be playing a round until end of feb/early march I thought sod it.

the main reason is financial of course as my club have 4 x £100 payments from feb to may and at the mo I cant see me having ten quid spare let alone a ton. Bills have all gone up it seems but wages are the same = something has to give :(

I have to say this was my thinking when I didn't renew my membership 12 years ago. I played 1 round as there was always a reason not to play that outweighed a reason to spend 15 quid on a round. Ten YEARS later I start playing again and wonder why the hell I didn't do this years ago. Happy to be back playing now and would never be without a membership somewhere again.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
hi Tommo. Does Dunbar gc. never closed due to weather, snow frost ect.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I won't be giving up my golf - paid up a few weeks back. Although I didn't play anything like as much as I usually do, last year, it's where I go for the odd beer, snooker and banter with guys I've known for 30 years. I think that if you enjoy the game, and have made some good friends down the way, being a long term member is more than equating 30 rounds into £600 = £20 a round. How do you put a value on that aspect of being part of a club?

tyke

Head Pro
Visit site

Your not wrong there, an absolutely cracking course in the height of summer, but does not like the wet at all, closed far to often. My brother has been a member for a good few years and is actively looking elsewhere due to the amount of closures.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Decided to leave my current club and save some money, there is a more local course with lower monthly fees and a more laid back atmosphere where i can reax and enjoy my golf again.