Re-gripping golf clubs

5OTT

Visit site
Going to give it a go for the first time, ordered the grips and hey should be here next week.

Just a question about the grip tape, is this a special tape or is normal double sided tape fine to use?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use the 2 inch wide grip tape on a 50m roll as it works out cheaper for me. I do only white spirit/ turp subsititute to activate the glue. (fill each grip with it, holding a finger over the end hole, then pour it over the grip tape as completely as you can then slide the grip on..pushing rather than pulling)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good luck. When i did mine earlier this season, getting the old stuff off was the hard bit. All downhill thereafter

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going to give it a go for the first time, ordered the grips and hey should be here next week.

Just a question about the grip tape, is this a special tape or is normal double sided tape fine to use?

There are generally two types of grip tape
economy which is very thin
Standard/premium which is a lot thicker

I use the economy If I successfully get an old grip off without damaging the existing tape (normally by blowing it off with an air compressor) then just apply the new tape over the top.

I use the standard if it is a bare shaft with no tape on it.

Standard double sided tape as bought in DIY stores is normally about the same thickness as economy grip tape so may well need 2 or 3 layers to build up the thickness although others have recommended the use of masking tape to do that.

I buy my tape from JL golf on ebay.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I did this last month - it's actually quite simple. Agree with the hair dryer to remove old tape, although I would probably try not to overuse it on graphite shafts. And on graphite shafts - if using a knife to remove the old grip, then be very careful.

I checked out about 4 or 5 YouTube vids on the subject, and just followed them. As long as you are careful and follow the steps, it's an easy job :)

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I would highly recommend getting the 2 inch wide pre cut strips. Very easy to use.

Available on eBay of the like of Gamola Golf.
https://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh001961.cgi?WD=tape&PN=2-Inch-Wide-Individual-Tape-Pipstrip-Strips-TPIP.html#SID=117

As said these are excellent, but because my OCD does not like the slight lap over at thinner end I trim a cripple on mm off the width makes its so much easier to get perfect smooth fit, also to not skimp on the white sprite get the tape nice an wet

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you need a vice to hold the club? Was thinking of trying my hand at this but I haven’t got a vice, so wasn’t sure if you can regrip “freehand”
Fine to do freehand with steel. Graphite the pressure can be a lot without a vice

Just use more white spirit than you think

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a lot easier with a vice.Means you have both hands to get the grip lined up square. If you use 360 grips it doesn't matter.

Spoon

Visit site
If you use a vice you need a rubber shaft holder to protect the shaft.

Few layers of foam or bubble wrap does the same thing.

I did a few old wedges the other week. It was really easy, I just used normal double sided tape & white spirit, turned out fine.

One thing I did which made it slightly easier was to plug the hole in the end of the grip, saves you having to keep your finger on it, therefore freeing up that hand. I used a toothpick with tape wrapped round to fit.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you need a vice to hold the club? Was thinking of trying my hand at this but I haven’t got a vice, so wasn’t sure if you can regrip “freehand”
I dont use a vice for regripping, thats whether fitting a grip or blowing the old one off with the compressor (and length of 32mm pipe to stop it bulging and splitting)