Ray Wilkins get well soon

D

Deleted member 16999

Certainly won’t sit in judgement, RIP Butch, very sad.

U

User62651

Sad news.

Very good player, was up here with Rangers later in career, saw him play once at Pittodrie.

Anyone remember the Tango advert voiceovers 'commentary' he did.

RIP.

D

Deleted member 1740

Very sad news, another footballing great gone before his time.

RIP Ray

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Very sad news. Remember him captaining Chelsea when very young, and with a great mop of hair. Seemed like one of the genuine nice guys.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am so upset to hear about Ray Wilkins. A great player and seemed like a gentleman too. God bless Ray. R.I.P.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ex. Chelsea, ex Man U - doesnt matter, loved listening to him on talk sport, and in commentaries, as well. Loved him as a pundit, and he came across as a genuinely nice bloke who loved his football.

Hope they have a minutes applause/silence for him tonight. Gentleman.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
R.I.P Ray,

sounds like he was a smashing fella, lots of good tales on the radio about the man

61 is no age, yet another reminder (as if we need one) of how precious life is

D

Deleted member 15344

Sad news - always enjoyed listening to him on the radio , talked a lot of sense and with calmness

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sad as he was an ex-Fulham manager and coach. Excellent player, good pundit and seemed a genuine and warm guy. The amount of tributes flooding in show what high esteem he was held in by his peers. RIP Ray

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Kids grow up with heroes - I had two - Bryan Robson and Ray Wilkins - I wore their boots - I bought their shirts - I tore every picture out of Roy of the Rovers and Match and Shoot - RIP ‘Butch’ - taken far too soon

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
So sad to hear this, I was really hoping that he'd pull through.

Big up to Talk Sport for broadcasting all the tributes for him this afternoon.

Two stories I heard today:

Ray said that his favourite smell in foofball was the first cut of grass, which meant the season was underway.

A media friend he used to play golf with, said that he and his teenage son was out for a quiet round with Ray and he noticed the youngster was struggling as he was outgrowing his old clubs.

A few days later Ray phoned his friend and asked if he could call round as he had something for his son. In the boot of his car he'd bought him a complete set of clubs!

Such was the generosity of the man.

There were lots and lots of amazing tributes for him.

RIP Ray.