Rangefinders or gps

Big85

Visit site
I’m currently using a garmin gps but I’m thinking I’d also getting the bushnell rangefinder.
what do people use on here and why? Do you find gps or rangefinders better?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I love my rangefinder, but in foggy or drizzly conditions it struggles (11 yards to a pin actually 135 away!)
I did toy with the idea of the gps version of my trolley, but decided it wasn't worth the extra £150. Plus, Bushnell have an GPS app for mobile, which you log onto using the serial number of your laser. Really rather handy, but I always forget I have it! ?

GPS is useful for unplayed courses and also helps with the carry distance and total distance calculations. I struggle to play with a watch on, so can't use those GPS types.

GM last month had a review of the Shot Scope Pro LX+ which gives you laser, GPS and stats in one product. £329. Also others on the market, like the Voice Caddie SL2.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a rangefinder for a year but I didn't find it that useful really. Sometimes if the flag was nearer than I thought, I'd go down a club then leave it short of the green. Eventually decided that GPS was fine as I should be aiming between the back and the middle of the green every time anyway, and GPS gives you those numbers. Or if you're hitting onto a downslope, it gives you the front of green yardage, which again is all I need. GPS also gives you a yardage to hazards that you need to lay up for and so on, which a rangefinder isn't very helpful on.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a mid-high handicapper I find GPS gives me pretty much everything I need. Playing courses with very large greens I can see why Lasers may be useful for wedges, but generally front middle and back yardages give me enough for my level of shot striking. I'd hate to play an unknown course now without GPS and find it useful on my own course.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe use the range finder 4 times a round sometimes not at all. It’s great as a confirmation tool for me if I am not sure if a flag position, but a luxury I could live without if it ever breaks.

Mandofred

Visit site
I am addicted to the rangefinder. I also carry a cheap GPS on days the weather is so crap it won't work. But.....there are people who won't buy anything other than a Range Rover..... As a clarifier....it doesn't have to make sense to other people, it just has to make sense to you.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have both but when I am playing my home course both are very rarely used. I have played here so much that I know what the club is from most positions.

My laser is a very cheap one bought for less than £100 and it does the job.

On the other hand the GPS unit is a Garmin bought at a time when I played loads of different courses where hole layout is important.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've had numerous different hand held gps, watches and range finders, my preference is the range finder as despite the cons I like to know exactly what I have to the pin.

Of my regular playing partners one has both but mostly uses his range finder and the other two both prefer gps watches, one a cheaper Garmin the other a top of the range Skycaddie. It really does depend on what you want out of the device.

Jason.H

Visit site
I have both, obviously the range finder is very accurate. The watch shows front middle and back and sometimes I’m surprised at the yardage to the flag even though we have the red, yellow and white flags. If your a decent ball striker and consistent with hitting your numbers then you could benefit with a rangefinder

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
GPS wins, no contest.
Rangefinders too much hassle, too slow, suggests you need precision that you really don't, and make you look a plonker.

Big85

Visit site
A mix of replies then!! It is all down to personal preference I guess. I do find sometimes the gps isn’t that accurate. If flag says front pin and gps says 120 you get up to the green and it’s actually 10 Yeats’s on from the front it’s annoying

Jason.H

Visit site
Having played golf pre GPS I could get by with pacing out my yardages. I wouldn’t say a rangefinder is slow I can zap the flag or anything else in seconds whilst waiting on playing partners.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I love my Nikon rangefinder. As good as any other make and perhaps cheaper than some like Bushnell.
I hear Boblov are decent value, but I wouldn't be buying if they are Russian!

babylonsinger

Visit site
Bought a G12 recently and find it does what I want it to do. Agree with the poster above who mentioned sometimes being surprised by the yardage. Can take the GPS a little time on some courses to lock on but not had significant problems with that.

Cant imagine a Rangefinder would be the best for me with unsteady hands - have never used one to be able to back that up however

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I mostly use my Bushnell range finder but have Shotscope too , so sometimes use front, middle and back, on the watch

Jason.H

Visit site
A mix of replies then!! It is all down to personal preference I guess. I do find sometimes the gps isn’t that accurate. If flag says front pin and gps says 120 you get up to the green and it’s actually 10 Yeats’s on from the front it’s annoying
You could easily be 10 yards/a club out even more if your club has big greens. I have been stuck behind a slow group at Carus Green GC where one guy in particular would use his rangefinder then duff his shot time after time. So a rangefinder would be no help to some.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I probably look at front pins as middle of yardage between front and middle on GPS, likewise back pins as middle of yardage between middle and back on GPS. Rarely are they right on front or back edge so slightly more likely to be close. Whether I can actually hit those yardages is another matter.

Mandofred

Visit site
GPS wins, no contest.
Rangefinders too much hassle, too slow, suggests you need precision that you really don't, and make you look a plonker.
Yeah, it's waaaay too much hassle to put the rangefinder to your eye for a couple of seconds. (sarcasm). If it takes longer than that....they are just slow golfers.....and there doesn't seem to be a cure for that.....

I'm a proud plonker.......but I'm not slow.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Both have their advantages - and disadvantages imo.
GPS usually gives more info, while RF tends to be more precise about distance to pin. I say 'tends' because a relatively cheap one I got was actually pretty naff!

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a range finder that has a really good stabiliser? My Volvik unit didn’t do too well when your hand wasn’t steady.