Rangefinder or garmin watch

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Get your phone out while you're still walking the last 15 yards to your ball. :LOL: Seriously, that's what I do.
This (y) - I've got an XR too and not noticed any problem - mind you I don't wear sunglasses very often

I keep my phone in my bag, so it's a bit of a faff getting it out. Usually involves having to stop walking in order to unzip a pocket on my bag, and just adds time and slows down play

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got a Laser range finder first and treated myself to a Garmin S40 last year - the watch does everything and more that I require, is faster and more convenient than the laser ever was, doubt I will ever go back to a laser again.

Not going to be a factor in your decision seeing you earlier post :LOL:.......but it also syncs to the Garmin Ap on my phone too :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I keep my phone in my bag, so it's a bit of a faff getting it out. Usually involves having to stop walking in order to unzip a pocket on my bag, and just adds time and slows down play
Seriously? Why would you keep it in your bag if you plan to use it for GPS? Obviously just put it in your pocket. :ROFLMAO:

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Seriously? Why would you keep it in your bag if you plan to use it for GPS? Obviously just put it in your pocket. :ROFLMAO:
Because I don't like having my phone in my pocket when I play. I'd put a mount on my trolley if I could but there's nowhere convinient to put it where I can see it without being a contortionist

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I don't get the don't buy as you're a beginner stuff. You won't always be.
My preference is a range finder as I don't need to worry about charging. But GPS watches are equally as useful, especially if you have colour coded flags.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
My preference is a range finder as I don't need to worry about charging. But GPS watches are equally as useful, especially if you have colour coded flags.
I agree. it may not be much use right now, as the oP will no doubt be inconsistent with his yardages as he is just starting out, but that will improve in time. The only advice I would give is that, if you go for a GPS unit over a rangefinder, make sure it has accurate mapping, are responsive with updates to hole layout changes, and make sure that, if they charge a subscription, you are happy with this. Based on your previous purchasing philosophy, take a look at SkyCaddie https://web.skygolf.com/content/welcome-skygolf

They map the courses by walking them using GPS equipment, whereas a lot of other companies just use Google Maps or other satellite imagery, and so the yardages can be off.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a beginner buy a course map from the proshop and save your money until you hit reasonably consistent distances.

For me I have a GPS and a laser.

The GPS is better if you play lots of different courses as it gives you course layout as well distances to bunkers etc.
Hole 19 or similar on a phone is good but you need to make sure the battery is fully charged.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have a Garmin GPS which I use from long range and in particular to look at distances to hazards when looking to lay up. I also have a laser rangefinder which I use from around 120 yards. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Thats the phone i use so downloading an app is not an option lol love having a phone i only need to charge twice a week. Think ill definitely get a watch just need to decide on what one.
Want one thats really simple to use, yards to pin, keeping my score and maybe counting my distance walked.
As I said, I have had the Bushnell one for years, still going strong and not too expensive. Shop around and you can get them at a decent price.
https://www.bushnellgolf.com/products/gps/

jamiet7682

Visit site
Ive got the garmin vivoactive 3. Good golf features, distance to green, hazards and allows you to keep score. Also tracks your shots and stats (fairways hit, GIR, shot distances) but youll need a smartphone to access that part of it.
More than does the job for me.

D

Deleted member 1147

I just don’t think the precision of a laser is required at first, but when he improves he can add a laser, which is what I did.
I now find GPS to be very useful for playing away games, for plotting the course, to add to the lasers exact numbers.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
rangefinder GPS still isn't spot on at times, rangefinder is spot on every time. go bushnell far easier than cheaper options.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The only problem I have with using my phone is, every time I need a distance, having to unlock it (by code if I'm wearing my sunglasses and it can't recognise my face), then reopen the app (it always seems to have gone into the backgroud when the phone locks), which just takes too long. Anybody got any tips to deal with this? I have an iPhone XR. I have an Apple Watch as well but I don't like wearing a watch when I play

Ive seen people just strap their watch to something on their bag, or a handle on their trolley if they use one? Hole19 works great with apple watch. You get front middle and back of green distances, can enter scores, penalties, putts, sand shots and drive locations with premium features too. Maybe try strapping the watch to the bag!

You can also change settings so apps dont close until you close them, but this will drain your battery a bit.

CountLippe

Visit site
Rangefinder is boss for 40-100 range if you know exact yardages for pitching. GPS good for lay ups, blind shots and when your just looking to hit a portion of the green.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use a watch ... I don’t need the degree of accuracy a rangefinder provides as my distances aren’t sufficiently consistent. A watch with the distances to front, middle and back is good enough for me and, I would have thought, for any high handicapper.

Newnsy

Visit site
Personally I prefer my range finder as I can get distances to anything on the course but I also have GPS on my trolley if I’m using it! That’s another option if your looking to get a trolley in the future

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The rangefinder from Decathlon Stores is getting great reviews for anyone considering buying a rangefinder. At £130 is a fraction of the bigger names
Really positive feedback on it

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a laser and use Hole19 on my Apple Watch, I tend to only use the laser if I’m looking to lay up or playing downhill/uphill or on new courses. Also I feel that when I’m using the laser I look a bit of a Wally!