Range Finders

CountLippe

Visit site
Is this clockface with the backswing?

Not really as I'm not good at that. I vary how open the stance / club face is and ball / grip position. Generally swing 3 quarters either hard or easy. Lots of trial and error but remarkably consistent on distance. Have used it down to 6iron before too!

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I use a bit of bot but have had a range finder for many years and a higher handicap than you. The accuracy is far superior to guessing via gps where the Flag is. You can also ping distance to front and back by measuring off mounds etc.

a mix of both works well when you have blind shots but I have always heavily relied on my range finder. My recommendation would be hole19 free app on your phone/watch and a decent bushnell

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Different things work for different people, but for me, aiming for the middle of the green and not worrying so much about pin position is best. In actual fact, I normally choose my club based on the yardage to the back of the green - knowing that if I have a perfect strike I might be at the back, but more often than not I’ll be somewhere in the middle, gives me the confidence to hit the ball with conviction.

My GPS watch is brilliant, I love it. It’s the S62.

I’ve got a range finder but rarely use it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I use a range finder down to maybe 50yds…basically down to a distance I still want to play a shot using my lob wedge that is still a bit more than a chip or gentle pitch up/over.

My shorter putting been a bit shaky these last few months so have been working on getting the ball closer to the hole before taking my putter out ?

I have a new found benefit in knowing my distances pretty accurately up to about 120yds as I now have the wedges to play different distances…until a few years ago all I had was a pitching wedge and my distance variation was all through eye to hand coordination - which was fine until it wasn’t. I am a convert.

Last edited:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies!

What kind of handicap did you have when you first got one?

16 for me. But to be honest it was lockdown so had a bit of spare cash floating about and I had an obsession with buying golf gear (literally all the gear no idea) more than feeling as though I had any great need for one.

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies!

What kind of handicap did you have when you first got one?

I think I got mine at around 14. They're just handy. You can't go wrong with either a GPS or laser.

If going GPS then go to skycaddie.
I use bushnell for my laser but there are loads out there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From some of the comments on here always bare in mind that slope function has to be turned off in a comp ( I would also expect it to be turned if playing in a money game with mates)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Getting a range finder was a real benefit to me, I have poor eyesight and my club has large greens so at times I was leaving myself too far away from the pin. I wasn't using any DMD, just the distances on the sprinkler heads on the fairways. Admittedly I was off 6 or 7 at the time, but helped me get down to cat 1 at the time.

Dandyer1995

Visit site
had mine for 10 years or so, no slope function still works a treat. I always work out if its front, middle or back and adjust a few yards + or -. I use it for a lot more than a pin though. distances to carry tree's, bunkers etc. I'd save the money and just hit to the middle of the greens for now.

4LEX

Visit site
I have a Garmin Z80 and don't really think much of it despite being top of the range. I also have a Garmin S10 watch and prefer using that. Only use the Z80 on par 3's in comps and to do my homework on the slope at new courses.

A GPS watch is a must have IMO!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

A GPS watch is a must have IMO!

Unless you already have a good yardage book.

I have played the course where I am a member for over 30 years and I very rarely use either GPS or Range finder despite having both simply because I know the 150 and 100 yard markers were put in by range finder and I know my club choice when compared to the trees and other features on the course.

It makes me inwardly laugh when I see players who have also been here donkeys years go to the tee on par 3s and use a range finder before selecting a club. If they have not worked that out by now I hold out little hope.

4LEX

Visit site

I have played the course where I am a member for over 30 years and I very rarely use either GPS or Range finder despite having both simply because I know the 150 and 100 yard markers were put in by range finder and I know my club choice when compared to the trees and other features on the course.

It makes me inwardly laugh when I see players who have also been here donkeys years go to the tee on par 3s and use a range finder before selecting a club. If they have not worked that out by now I hold out little hope.

Ah, totally agree. Around your home track you really shouldn't need anything if you've been a member for years. You should know the yardage to each pin position on any par 3 and the club!

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I also have this one but rarely use it at home course, have used around corses I’m not familiar with but I always feel a bit silly for using it as I’m not a low handicap golfer and worry others will think I’m a Pratt!

I'm a mid-handicapper and do use mine at my own course so I know what yardage I have to start the selection process depending on which hole (slope) and conditions. I also use it from 100 yards and in as I have worked hard on my pitching and so it helps me decide what sort of shot and club I want. None of my PP's say anything and many do exactly the same thing

D

Deleted member 23270

No don't get one. Off a 19 handicap you are much better off sticking to your garmin and just playing for the centre of the green. Gives you a much bigger margin for error than attacking front or back pins.

D

Deleted member 23270

We have a par 3 that can vary by 40 yards depending on the position of the flag and the tee markers so it's still handy to have a rangefinder.