Range disaster

winnebago

Medal Winner
Visit site
Basically I've been sat in all day watching tip videos about stance and posture, mainly because I felt mine was poor. After watching a few I went to the range and thought I would 'try out' a different method, keeping my back straighter and hands in line with my chin where the main changes.

Started with 7 iron which felt fine, nice and straight, then 4 iron, also nice and straight. I then went to my new hybrid 3, every shot was coming right off the heel, felt awful and looked worse. Thought I would try my 3 wood which I'm fairly used to, but the same thing was happening, which never happened before with this club.

Ended up leaving half a basket of balls as I felt annoyed and knew nothing good could come of the session. Now the dilemma is I'm playing at 7.30 tomorrow morning and all I can think is that I can't use my hybrid or 3 wood as it will be disastrous.

Any thoughts or tips would be well appreciated.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
My advice would be to see a pro to get him to look at your swing, or post your swings on here for some 'in the know' golfers to look at and provide some feedback for you to think about.

I would say myself through my experience of trying new parts in a swing that at the range it is very easy without supervision for parts of your old swing to integrate with your new swing and can cause negative outcomes. Just stick with the practise and whatever you do never leave when it goes bad, would you do that in a cmp?????

winnebago

Medal Winner
Visit site
Something I want to do soon as possible is have a few lessons with the pro at the club I'm joining tomorrow.

Can honestly say that I would never walk off the course wether it be a friendly knock about or a comp.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its always hard to self diagnose or implement changes. Well it is for me anyway and I can never be sure if changing one thing isn't offsetting something else so leave it all up to my teaching pro to tinker with now.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If everything with your longer clubs was out of the heel, did you try setting up a little further away?

It might be a band-aid fix, but it might help you get round tomorrow until you have a lesson.

winnebago

Medal Winner
Visit site
That was one of the first things I thought when I sat down afterwards, the setting up a little further away.

Im thinking I might just go with 4 iron off the tee most holes tomorrow to get it out there and in the fairway, but then I'm just dodging the problem or putting it off until another time.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You changed your posture because you felt your posture was poor before. Then you started hitting the ball off the heel.

That implies you were hitting the ball better before the change.

In which case, go back to your original set up until you can get some proper lessons.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You changed your posture because you felt your posture was poor before. Then you started hitting the ball off the heel.

That implies you were hitting the ball better before the change.

In which case, go back to your original set up until you can get some proper lessons.

Is the solution to your problem

winnebago

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just got back from playing now, front 9 was ok, 8 bogeys and a par. Back 9 just turned ugly. Felt like I never played before.

I tried swinging the same as I did before yesterday but I just can't, it's really annoying.

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its always hard to self diagnose or implement changes. Well it is for me anyway and I can never be sure if changing one thing isn't offsetting something else so leave it all up to my teaching pro to tinker with now.

Completely agree with this. I understand my swing infinitely better after 3 lessons than I ever did trying to do it by myself.