Range boredom - what do you do?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Historically, I probably hit he range once or twice a year at most. Even then I'll hit, maybe 15 balls before I'm looking for the exit. I was at the range twice in Jan, with some irons I bought whilst in Spain. Even with the lovely blue sky and warmth on my back I didn't get through the bucket of 30 balls.

Its just boring. Most balls got the distance, and finish reasonably close to the target.

I've been to range here twice in the last couple of weeks, and tried to mix up the practice. Some long irons, mid irons and short irons. Some with a draw, some with a fade and some straight. High or punched low with the same iron. But its just boring.

What do you guys do to keep it fresh?

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Theres quite a few targets are the range I goto, and what I do is get 25 or 50, and take to the range with me a few holes in mind.

I'll take each shot as if it was on the course and pick a target on the range which best fits the distance i'm going, give it a and see how far off I land, adjust and take the "next shot" :)

I had a few lessons last year and I would go to the range, take 25 or 50 balls are practice the drill trying to improve the accuracy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I go through the bag, obvious. A pro told me to imagine I was playing certain holes on my course. Play the hole accordingly using your imagination. I've found that quite useful.

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Historically, I probably hit he range once or twice a year at most. Even then I'll hit, maybe 15 balls before I'm looking for the exit. I was at the range twice in Jan, with some irons I bought whilst in Spain. Even with the lovely blue sky and warmth on my back I didn't get through the bucket of 30 balls.

Its just boring. Most balls got the distance, and finish reasonably close to the target.

I've been to range here twice in the last couple of weeks, and tried to mix up the practice. Some long irons, mid irons and short irons. Some with a draw, some with a fade and some straight. High or punched low with the same iron. But its just boring.

What do you guys do to keep it fresh?[/QUOTE

I only go to the range with someone else. Never alone as you say is boring as hell.we have 50 balls each and pick a target 3 balls each taking turns. Point for nearest. Not brilliant but is better than just smashing balls on your own

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I'm working on a technical change/improvement then I don't get bored. I think just going to hit some balls would feel a little aimless and if it starts well then no reason to stay!

You could try playing 18 holes as such. Think about your usual course and what clubs you'd ideally hit on each hole. So say the 1st is a par 4 driver, 7i then hit each shot and score yourself a point for the right contact and a point for the right direction (direction being a dispersion of 10% of the shot distance). Play the whole round with the clubs you'd usually ideally hit and rate each one for contact/direction and tot them up. Try to beat it next time...

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t get bored at the range, I could go there every day and enjoy it. I love all aspects of practice apart from putting.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I don’t get bored at the range, I could go there every day and enjoy it. I love all aspects of practice apart from putting.

And I can spend an hour on the putting green without any problem. Unsurprisingly, putting is the best part of my game.

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
I go through my clubs one shot at a time as though I’m playing on a course . You’re only going to one shot at it on the course so there is no point hitting 20 consecutive shots with the driver till you get it right . Something like .

Driver - 8i - Driver -PW -Driver-5i ect . I’ll maybe do that for 80 or so balls and then I’ll mess around chipping after that . Smashing 100 balls off the tee is pointless .

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm a range member at my local one, I easily can hit 150 balls a visit. It's out in the fresh air, it's practice and it's biffing balls - like a pig in poop !

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pick a course that you know well and visualise the first tee shot. Decide what points on the range are the edges of the fairway, where the hazards are and hit your tee shot. Take a view on where that has ended up - be honest - and visualise the next shot, repeat until you get on the green. Then move onto the next hole.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just back from the range, had it to myself in a blizzard.

I used to hate beating balls but now I really enjoy it, I do have a couple of swing thoughts and a pre shot routine that I'm bedding in at present so it's easier to concentrate and focus with a goal in mind.

You either enjoy the range or you don't.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I could happily go to the range and just work through my bag for an hour - longer if the weather's nice and it's an outside range without getting bored but I'll typically only go to the range if I have a purpose for going. There's normally something I'm working on following my lessons, and a few drills I'll be working through, so I'll normally go and work on those things. Not surprised you get bored if you don't really have a purpose for going or you're not working on something.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have music in my ears, that is what I do to kill the boredom. Like a couple of people have said they play a few difficult holes from their home course. I do a couple of the harder holes from my place where a certain type of tee shot is needed. Like the the 6th at my place, tough tee shot and the pin can be a pain when tucked on the left side behind a bunker on a plateau. So draw a 2i off the tee then draw a 7i into the green.

I hate the range too, so really have to liven things up or I will get bored.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Happy to work on my game and rarely get bored. I tend to work on basics or if I've had a lesson then working on changes and drills. The two ranges I use have varied targets and so I go through the bag, picking targets at hitting small batches (no more than five) at each one.

D

Deleted member 1147

I get bored stiff at the range, so I rarely go.
Most of my practice is on the course.
Evening golf is my favourite? Empty course, play a few balls with different tactics and drop a few balls on or around the green for short game practice.
Much better to me than just hitting the same shot adnauseum, from perfect lies.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I get bored stiff at the range, so I rarely go.
Most of my practice is on the course.
Evening golf is my favourite? Empty course, play a few balls with different tactics and drop a few balls on or around the green for short game practice.
Much better to me than just hitting the same shot adnauseum, from perfect lies.

Nothing wrong with that but at this time of year it's not possible and so the range is a best compromise. Horses for courses of course and I love working on my game but it's never going to be for everyone

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m exactly the same Brian, I hadn’t hit a shot since New Years Day, played 2 weeks ago, got a bucket of 40balls from the machine got about halfway through them and left the rest!

I tend to start with an 8iron and do every other club up to the driver try to finish each club with a good’un.

But I could easily spend an hour chipping and putting greens (one because I’m good at it the other because I’m improving) without noticing.