R1, R11 or SLDR?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Most folks think shafts have more say in being able to reduce spin rates by a large degree, truth is that's definitely not so, no matter how expensive or exotic, they can only do some very fine tuning.

The flex, to the extent of Xstiff to Reg to Ultra Flex & where a kick point is of a shaft and how it's delivered through the strike will impact launch angles by a few some degrees, but have a much lesser effect on change of the spin rate.

Swing speed will effect spin rate depending on what angle it's delivered to & through. Three swings of the same 110mph, one with a steep -7 AoA will not only produce pretty high spin rate but decrease available overall distance from that swing speed by some 50 yards, 0 level through the ball will reduce spin rate considerably therefore the ball will go further, +AoA of 3 to5 will give you optimum spin rate & LA & optimum distance, given all three strikes being centered from sweet spot.

Biggest effect by far on spin rate is where on the face the balls struck.

Biggest influence on launch angle is shaft plane & swing path & the AoA, plus most importantly where on the face the ball is struck.

Speaking from experience again, I have found that, for the same angle of attack & swing speed, different shafts have a huge effect on launch angle. I've had shafts where all I can do is sky the ball, whereas the Black Tie I am now using gives a perfect flight with, dare I say it, less spin, yes, possibly only 500 rpm but it's the launch angle which is more important on my exposed course where high shots not perfectly hit are deflected a long way off line.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I moved from the RBZ with a Matrix Ozik TP HD6 Regular to the R1. The original 55g RIP Phenom suited my playing partner who also bought the R1 but it gave me the odd hook so I changed it for a Miyazaki JDL 6R which gives me a nice penetrating flight.

Distance wise I've gained around 5yds however my dispersion has improved and once I tuned it in I have found it to be more forgiving than the RBZ although it did take me a week to find the middle consistently after switching. I also don't have to swing as hard to get a good result which also helps.

You will need to loft up on the R1 as mine is currently set at 11.25 degrees which gives me a mid height penetrating flight compared to the RBZ at 10.5 with the HD6 which gave a mid to high boring flight.

A few people who have tried my R1 have struggled to gain the same height as their current driver and from what I can gather the slider is similar. It does take a little getting used to but once you have it dialled in, it is a superb driver.