R Flex vs A Flex

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was due to buy a club which the seller had told me was a regular flex but having since seen the photos it is actually fitted with an A flex.

The price for the club is very good so I am still tempted to give it a go and if it doesn’t work out I will at least get my money back selling it on.

Has anyone been in the same situation and did you notice a big difference between the R and A flex?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
All depends on your swing speed, if it’s slow then an A flex is great, however if you are more suited to a regular flex, then you may overpower the A flex and it won’t be pretty.

Before committing , try an a flex at AG or maybe at a local range

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also depends on the manufacturer, the undrlying shaft profile and, probably the most important for us amateurs, your transition....

It's all magic🤔

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looking at the stats i.e driving distance it actually looks like an A flex might be more suited to my swing speed.

Won’t know until I give it a go I suppose

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I first started to play I was sold A flex clubs and played with them very successfully for nearly 8 years but I never new the difference then. I also played with an L flex driver and it was only when I tried to find a 3 wood to match the driver that a pro told me what I was using.

The biggest problem I had with them was I was constantly fighting a big hook.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think flex is one of the least understood parts of clubs.

Is there any good info or tables to show effects of each flex at different swing speeds.

Ideally get iron bryon to do swing speeds 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 for a 7 iron for each flex and get trackman details for each. Would actually make a good project.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Is there any good info or tables to show effects of each flex at different swing speeds.

Ideally get iron bryon to do swing speeds 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 for a 7 iron for each flex and get trackman details for each. Would actually make a good project.

Pretty tough to compare when there are no standards as to what any of the flexes actually mean! And even more-so in iron shafts (where there are huge differences in the more important attribute of weight!) than Driver ones!

As for the OP's query, it's a classic case of 'it all depends'! But if the price is good enough, then a punt could well be worthwhile! I can (and have done so) and need play anything from X-Flex (made even stronger by being 'tipped') to (Solid) Regular depending on the shaft! For me, it's all about feel and a shaft that's too soft is much more of a problem than one that is too stiff!

And it's weight that is more important - though an A-Flex is likely to also be quite light, so limited 'options' there.

p33j4y

Visit site

If you mean "least understood" as in "hugely overstated" I fully agree with you.
I hear many golfers being obsessed with flex, although flex is not a well-defined property. One manufacturers x-stiff is another manufacturers regular, so to believe that you need a specific letter written on the shaft is plain wrong.

I also agree with Foxholer in that weight is a much more important parameter.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
There is also a macho element that resists the move to A flex as “ I’m not old enough” etc

It’s utter rubbish, whatever works for you, use it ( unless of course you end up wielding an A flex chipper) 😂😂

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There is also a macho element that resists the move to A flex as “ I’m not old enough” etc

It’s utter rubbish, whatever works for you, use it ( unless of course you end up wielding an A flex chipper) 😂😂

Very much this
Many would benefit but many also get offeneded if it's mentioned

D

Deleted member 23344

The macho element also applies to driver loft ... apparently, a significant proportion of golfers would benefit from more loft. My driver is 13.5 with a senior flex, so my macho rating is 0!