Quit my Job....

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
With nowhere to go!

Had been unhappy for a little while, then had my annual review in October "You seem a little demotivated" which got me thinking. So I decided to try to give myself a kick up the Arsenal and motivate myself, it didn't work, so spoke with SWMBO and came to the conclusion that enough was enough. I wanted to come out of accountancy when I took on the job but the lure of the music industry peaked my interest, and it was going well for 18(ish) months, but eventually reality comes to the surface.

Anyway, my notice went in at the beginning of December, and on Friday afternoon said goodbye to some good friends a couple of which I hope/plan to keep in touch with.

At the moment it's a brave and exciting move, but in a couple of months it could be a foolish risk! Fingers crossed I'll get myself sorted within the couple of months target I've set.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been in a similar situation, left through choice from a job I loved. It was just in the wrong city.

Moving to a whole new part of the country and starting from scratch was exciting. All I had was a half decent CV, somewhere to stay and a dash of enthusiasm.

Enjoy this period!

I was out of work just before we had a baby, I have no idea what I did in those 4 months between jobs, i wish I knew then that free time would end there.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Did the same in '92. Spent 10 months doing various contract work in a similar job, and it was like a bus man's holiday after being stuck in the same place. Then got a job in an unrelated industry and loved it. The love affair lasted 23 years before I told my boss I was going to retire last Christmas. After various different offers to stay I got the offer to come up to Aberdeen and try and turn around a failing division in a failing industry.

We'll finish the year within touching distance of last year's numbers, without cut backs or redundancies - well, maybe a few people have er erm chosen to leave but have been replaced. Many of our competitors have lost loads of staff, closed depts. and offices and are upwards of 40% down financially. Two of our main competitors have gone to the wall.

Having a blast, but knackered.

Good luck with your decision to move on. There might be a bit of a bump in the road in the early days but if you get stuck in you'll succeed.

V

vkurup

Good luck .. look fwd to how you found the perfect job and now playing to keep yourself in single digits..

wrighty1874

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I packed a job in back in 1989 to go on a six month contract in Holland.I ended up doing 18 months there and three years in Germany and had a great time.Came back and got my old job back which was fortunate and stayed for 18 months.I work three miles from home now with two daughters and my wife. Good luck for the future.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
What are you trying to get into next?

Thanks all for the good luck wishes.

At the moment I'm thinking of looking down the IT line, but I've not done any formal IT training for about 16years so I might need an understanding boss and a course to get me started! Tempted to try to do some temping in different areas just to have a shop around before committing to anything, looking on various job sites there's lots of industries that look interesting, non of which I'm qualified for so there's probably a course or two in my immediate future if nothing else.