Quirky courses

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bramshaw forest course in the new forest, Hampshire. It’s on common land so you’re on the golf course along with cows, horses, deer and whatever else wanders in. When I played most of the greens were roped off to stop hoof prints on the green. Never sure if you were on the fairway or not but great fun and totally different.
might have to look that one up, got a cottage break lined up later this year.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Las Ramblas.

The guy in the pro shop said "Have you played here before", when I replied no, he said "Well, it's different......"

Great course though, but you can't see the outcome of your tee shot on so many holes.

Not one to play if you struggle with keeping it straight.
For its differenceness we enjoyed it ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Prestwick st.nicholas and irvine bogside are pretty quirky. Old prestwick is also quirky in parts

Never thought of St Nick's as quirky, Bogside is just - well let's just say not my cup of tea. Old Prestwick, the quirky holes are the decent ones.

D

Deleted member 17920

I think The Addington is definitely quirky.

You have to hit it in exactly the right places on a couple of holes. If you are fractionally off line you have no shot.

And a par 5 having to hit 6 or 7 iron from the tee is defo quirky ?

I really enjoyed the course and would happily return but I wouldn’t be a member there

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So you didn’t enjoy it but still scored it 8.5 out of 10 ?
It was an opinion but if you looked it was based on a number of aspects and while the layout wasn't great in places, the quality of the greens more than balanced the books. As always great playing with other GM forum members and definitely worth doing but just my thoughts. The quirky holes were the only negative

sunshine

Visit site
This was my take on The Addington https://viewfromthe19th.com/?p=282

Odd review. You give scores by category of 8/10, and even 7.5, but then overall mark of 8.5? Surprised you rate the facilities so highly when there is no range, short game area etc, and the clubhouse is pretty basic. Tend to agree with your assessment of the layout.

Good to hear the greens were top notch. They were poor when I played the course last year.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yelverton GC in Devon.
A Herbert Fowler course running though old mine workings up on Dartmoor
Enjoyably quirky without getting silly.
Well worth a trip if you’re in the area.

sunshine

Visit site
North Berwick is quirky in a good way

Also kapalua and royal west Norfolk quirky in a fun and special way.

Berkhamsted has no bunkers and public roads running through two holes.

Pinner hill has some holes that are more suited to crazy golf.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aberdour GC , you can easily catch the 4th when playing the 1st , 2nd ,3rd holes [ plus a few more ], but not when playing the 4th hole :D.

Last edited: