Quirky club history

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As I have mentioned I spent a few days in Lincolnshire at a couple of courses. Anyway on the way back from the Lavvy I was looking at the trophies etc and came across one which made me smile/ gladdens the heart. It had a wooden base with a piece of tree on it in a “Y” shape like an old kids catapult. In the “Y” was a golf ball. The same year the club was opened a player smacked his ball and it stuck in the tree. It was left there for years. Roll on a good few years and a trees surgeon was called in to cut out said branch and ball as a storm had threatened to down said tree. Sadly the golfer died at a young age, after a dis ussion with his wife they use the trophy as a memorial competition. I thought it a lovely story.
So does your club have owt similar.

PaulMdj

Visit site
3 years ago a Trophy appeared on Ebay advertised as Antique Sterling Silver Cup Seaham Harbour Golf Club 1916 on it.

I purchased it on behalf of the Club and messaged the seller to get some background.

The seller was in Los Angeles and he had brought it from Australia with some other memorabillia he bought 20+ years ago from a Pro.

We got the Cup and saw it was from a summer Stroke Comp and won by Lt Col CH James who was serving with the 3rd Battalion North Staffordshire Regt who were based in Seaham at the time.

He died in 1922 in Staffordshire, so how the Cup ended up in Australia we have no idea.

The Club was founded in 1911 and this is now the 2nd oldest Trophy we possess. The Cup is now back in the Clubhouse and played for as a Stroke Comp annually.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
3 years ago a Trophy appeared on Ebay advertised as Antique Sterling Silver Cup Seaham Harbour Golf Club 1916 on it.

I purchased it on behalf of the Club and messaged the seller to get some background.

The seller was in Los Angeles and he had brought it from Australia with some other memorabillia he bought 20+ years ago from a Pro.

We got the Cup and saw it was from a summer Stroke Comp and won by Lt Col CH James who was serving with the 3rd Battalion North Staffordshire Regt who were based in Seaham at the time.

He died in 1922 in Staffordshire, so how the Cup ended up in Australia we have no idea.

The Club was founded in 1911 and this is now the 2nd oldest Trophy we possess. The Cup is now back in the Clubhouse and played for as a Stroke Comp annually.
Good effort sir👍

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not my club but this is a good story. I first saw it at Ganton where there is a picture of the winners, one was their player

It's a bit bizarre when you see it in the clubhouse, name of the trophy etc. Definitely quirky.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
When I was a junior member at Boldon, Doug Mc. Clelland (1973 Dutch Open champ) won a competition called the "Jarrovian Shield". It was a black shield emblazoned with a golden eagle. Close examination showed that the trophy was actually a toilet seat, with the eagle inscribed on the lid. Not sure whether the trophy still exists, I must find out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We play the Duke of Beaufort in a home and away fixture for a set of antlers from a stag that was sadly found dead (not hunted!!!!) and which were originally in Badminton House, then Chipping Sudbury (their home club)