Quick 9 or hit the range?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Most groundstaff will not allow you to practice on the course. Especially if you do have a practice area.

Theres obviously a difference between a practice round & doing designated practice drills.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Either for me. Depends what needs working on

Can have more bang for the buck on the range or around the putting/ greens

40 odd shots on the course in 90 mins or 100 balls on the range plus 100 or so chips and putts

All depends...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Either for me. Depends what needs working on

Can have more bang for the buck on the range or around the putting/ greens

40 odd shots on the course in 90 mins or 100 balls on the range plus 100 or so chips and putts

All depends...

Yeh I'm in this camp. There is a time and place for practice and a time for a few holes. A lot also depends on your mindset.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
how many times have you been hitting it like god at the range and then like a pleb on the course ,much better to play the course and learn to hit it like god out there rather than banging away at the range.Its all too easy to get into a groove on the range and hit ball after ball thinking you have cracked it ,but the range is a very sterile place ,the course is where you play golf.so get out there and play it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
how many times have you been hitting it like god at the range and then like a pleb on the course ,much better to play the course and learn to hit it like god out there rather than banging away at the range.Its all too easy to get into a groove on the range and hit ball after ball thinking you have cracked it ,but the range is a very sterile place ,the course is where you play golf.so get out there and play it.

That is nonsense.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most groundstaff will not allow you to practice on the course. Especially if you do have a practice area.

Theres obviously a difference between a practice round & doing designated practice drills.

How are they going to stop you? If the course is dead .. you have paid your fee and you play a few balls from diff spots or play 5 out the bunker to practice what they gonna do?

D

Deleted member 15344

How are they going to stop you? If the course is dead .. you have paid your fee and you play a few balls from diff spots or play 5 out the bunker to practice what they gonna do?

If it’s requested by the ground staff not to practise they expect people to respect though wishes and use their integrity - why would someone ignore the Greens staff wishes ?

D

Deleted member 1147

If it’s requested by the ground staff not to practise they expect people to respect though wishes and use their integrity - why would someone ignore the Greens staff wishes ?

I pay plenty for the opportunity to play as many balls as I like - whether the ground staff want me too or not!

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site

I know what you mean, but you hit a poor shot and dropping another in my opinion isn't using the course as a practice area. I am still moving around the course, just attempting the shot again (or maybe a third time going on my current swing). I understand that repeating a shot over and over would damage the course with divots, pitch marks etc but dropping a few balls while you play is no more damage than a normal round would cause?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Playing 2 balls or many shots from bunkers when your on your own with nobody about or re taking missed putts or taking putts from diff angles .. there is nothing wrong with that at all

The 2 balls is like a 2 ball playing

The bunkers you rake

And greens wouldn’t even notice

Only time it’s not acceptable is if it’s busy.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I pay plenty for the opportunity to play as many balls as I like - whether the ground staff want me too or not!

Exactly the sort of attitude that is wrong in golf nowadays. I'm pretty confident that it will also be in your club's constitution. Maybe best have a read at that before someone decides to report you for practicing on the course.

I have heard of it being done.

D

Deleted member 15344

Playing 2 balls or many shots from bunkers when your on your own with nobody about or re taking missed putts or taking putts from diff angles .. there is nothing wrong with that at all

The 2 balls is like a 2 ball playing

The bunkers you rake

And greens wouldn’t even notice

Only time it’s not acceptable is if it’s busy.

It’s not acceptable if in your club rules practising on the course is not allowed - doesn’t matter how busy the course is - I would expect golfers to respect the rules of their club. A lot of clubs get their direction from greenstaff who have the knowledge to help protect the course as much as possible. So I would expect you to respect those wishes

D

Deleted member 1147

Exactly the sort of attitude that is wrong in golf nowadays. I'm pretty confident that it will also be in your club's constitution. Maybe best have a read at that before someone decides to report you for practicing on the course.

I have heard of it being done.

As 1 man playing 2 balls of an evening, when it’s quiet, I do less damage than a 2 ball playing a ball each.
So I’m happy that I’m doing nothing wrong.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
As 1 man playing 2 balls of an evening, when it’s quiet, I do less damage than a 2 ball playing a ball each.
So I’m happy that I’m doing nothing wrong.

Nope you specifically said as many balls as you like.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Depends how you practice!!!!