Quick 9 or hit the range?

D

Deleted member 1147

You see that is the difference. Two balls as a single is universally accepted. Stating that you will hit as many as you like because you have paid comes across as arrogant.

:thup:

Perhaps it did, but my point is that officially that is classed as practice on the course, and therefore prohibited. Even though, as you say, it’s universally accepted.

But I reckon I actually help the course, in that when I hit two balls onto a green, I will not only repair my pitchmarks, but others I find as well. So if my balls are spread out I actually find and repair more pitchmarks.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
This definitely depends on what you want out of golf.

Do you want to play because you enjoy playing or do you want to improve?

Also so are you treating this as a practice to get better, or simply some down time away from work / chores etc.

Personally I find when I go to the range I get bored very quickly. This is because I don’t have a practice regime, I don’t measure my performance and progress and I’m not working on anything in particular in terms of my swing or any drills.

I probably do much the same thing on the course, but I enjoy that more and get more satisfaction out of hitting good shots. And it also costs nothing extra, assuming you are a member.

A few years ago, I was fed up playing rubbish golf. I took lessons, spent a lot of time on the range and was a bit more diligent in my practice rounds, and managed to improve significantly in a year.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just to clarify. When I talk about the range I mean the purpose practice area at my club, with range balls hitting off of links turf. I don't mean beating balls in a covered driving range off of mats like I think some people on here mean.

Driving range is for winter nights, once or twice a month.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
For me, I prefer to play.

Very rarely go to the range, unless I'm working on something specific. Much prefer to go to the putting green or chipping area for my practice, where I am happy to spend hours.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm spoilt really good driving range facility 200 yards from my house so if just an hour i go there.

Otherwise it's the course and i'll hit 20 balls to loosen up before playing 9 or 12 if i have chance to double back on myself.

I always play in the evenings so usually have chance to play a couple of balls at a time.

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
I often don't get anything out of a quick 9 holes, most of the time I feel that my game is in worse shape than when I started the round, possibly because the concentration isn't there unless its a competitive round.

I definitely get more out of spending the time on range, chipping or putting green, and sets me up better for the next competitive round.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I often don't get anything out of a quick 9 holes, most of the time I feel that my game is in worse shape than when I started the round, possibly because the concentration isn't there unless its a competitive round.

I definitely get more out of spending the time on range, chipping or putting green, and sets me up better for the next competitive round.

Well said 👍

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All about structured practice for me.

9 holes for course management and I use the phone cradle in my trolley to video all my shots.

The range is used for stopping my face-path slipping out of my acceptable tolerance and grooving feelings. I have access to a trackman too so I track yardage’s/spin numbers to help my decision making on course.

My club has fantastic conditions thanks to people respecting the course and using the practice facilities. Some people may moan that practice on the course is prohibited but even through the heatwave we had 36 holes of pure joy with dark green greens running at 14.

D

Deleted member 1147

It's funny because my concentration is very poor on a range or practice ground. I end up just hitting balls without thought or preparation - it just becomes a slog fest!

When I practice out on the course I think about the shot ahead of me and try different things which may be of use for future rounds.

Although I'm sure it would be of more use if I went to the range more - I just prefer to use my limited time on playing the game

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I've never heard of greenkeepers not allowing practice on the course, even when I worked as a greenkeeper.

As long as the player looks after the course, replaces divots; repairs pitchmarks; and rakes bunkers. Practicing on the course isn't going to change the condition of the course or create extra work for the greenkeepers.

But if thems the rules then you must stick to them

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Both have their place for me. I use the range/practice ground to work on my swing and the course to test that work out. I will generally only play one ball per hole on the course but if it's slow I'll usually play a couple of balls around the green to allow me to hang back a bit and not pressurise the group ahead especially as a single and having nowhere to go even if I get let through. I enjoy the practice ground in particular for working on my short game and it's starting to pay off in my game now.

I was guilty of spending too much time on the range and practice ground chasing a perfect swing instead of using what I have and making that more functional and learning how to make a score. This season has been different and there have been more nine hole rounds and I think it's making a difference even though the handicap is stubbornly refusing to budge.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have no range anywhere near me but would not use one anyway always prefer to play, went out for 10 holes tonight and had 5 pars 2 birdies and 3 bogies for 29 points, you can't get that on a range:)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's funny because my concentration is very poor on a range or practice ground. I end up just hitting balls without thought or preparation - it just becomes a slog fest!

When I practice out on the course I think about the shot ahead of me and try different things which may be of use for future rounds.

Although I'm sure it would be of more use if I went to the range more - I just prefer to use my limited time on playing the game

Me to a T. Last time I went to the range I sh**ked 80%+ of my shots and the rest were rubbish - well maybe I hit 1 or 2 OK. I went onto the course next evening and didn't hit one. Because I have never practiced on the range I have little or no focus when I try. On the course - no problemo.