Quick 9 or hit the range?

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
As the title says, How do you decide whether to play 9 holes or go to the driving range?

Missus is on the night shifts so played a 9 holes last night, which i really didn't play well... Same again planned for tonight. 99% of the time i think i would prefer to be on the course practicing real shots with real lies. The range at my course is quite poor so i think that puts me off as well. On the course i even had chance to just drop 3 balls from 100yards and practice the approaches, or throw a couple into my challenging bunkers. I appreciate we all have aspects of the game that need work which the range can facilitate but if time allows is there ever any disadvantage to just playing the course?

Interested to hear what you think?

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some clubs don't allow practice on the course, sobe careful of this.

I think if it's purely ball stariking you're after then head to the range, or if you want to practice your chipping/bunkers then head to a chipping area. If its anything else I enjoy the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nine holes is preferable I suppose but you need more time for it. And more clubs. And daylight. If I'm going to the range it only takes half an hour (I won't hit more than 50 balls or it becomes pointless), and I only tend to bring 2 or 3 clubs that I want to work on, and you don't have to worry about it getting dark.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
As the title says, How do you decide whether to play 9 holes or go to the driving range?

Missus is on the night shifts so played a 9 holes last night, which i really didn't play well... Same again planned for tonight. 99% of the time i think i would prefer to be on the course practicing real shots with real lies. The range at my course is quite poor so i think that puts me off as well. On the course i even had chance to just drop 3 balls from 100yards and practice the approaches, or throw a couple into my challenging bunkers. I appreciate we all have aspects of the game that need work which the range can facilitate but if time allows is there ever any disadvantage to just playing the course?

Interested to hear what you think?

If I'm working on something specific or have drills to do then range. Otherwise play 9 holes every time

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All depends on my needs, if I need to work on swing in my swing I'll hit the range. If i just want to work on my game I'll go for 9 as you get various shots to hit etc.

Currently for me I'll play 9, because I trying to learn where and when I can hit driver on my course and trying to get some confidence hitting driver again.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you can hit a ball, 9 holes. You don’t learn to play golf on the range.
If you can’t, the range is the place to learn to hit a ball only IMO.
I would never go to the range in the summer, unless it was with my kids

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mainly 9 holes (especially as our course is always quiet in the evenings and it's never a problem to play a couple of balls or hit a few chips as required).

Having said that, I wandered into our range last night as I really needed to try and get something working. Sometimes it's the only way!

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Always the course for me if feasible - just can't translate hitting off the mat to the course so I've basically avoided the range this year, except when I've wanted to work with driver / 3 wood / hybrid of the tee (2 occasions). Hitting the course solo or wanting to replay a shot etc. isn't always welcome though!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I used to hate practicing.

Now I really enjoy it, I can stand and hit balls for a couple of hours. Maybe its because I now have access to far better practice facilities but its something I now find enjoyable and therapeutic where in the past I found it a chore or a necessary evil!

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unless I need to work on something specific I'll play 9 holes and if i have time I'll pop to the range for 25 balls to maybe work on something I've had a problem with when playing. Usually driver :confused:

Our course is usually quiet in the evenings so I tend to play a few scrap balls. If I hit a poor shot I'll drop another and try the shot again.

D

Deleted member 1147

The range bores me, so I’d prefer 9 holes wherever possible.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The course every time. If there is nobody behind me it's two balls and two clubs and trying different shots. Deliberately missing the green to get wedge practice.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If i am going for a quick 9 i would be setting aside an hour and a half. Range session would be an hour max.

No real decision to make. If its dry i will hit the course weather and time permitting.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always play 9 holes. A lot of the time people can’t translate to the course, so practice on the course, incorporating the thoughts into the shot routine is preferable.