Question for all - taking the club away

When you start your take away which hand/arm does the work?

• Left pushes right

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Right pulls left

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don't feel either does more than the other

Votes: 20 52.6%

• Total voters

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I start my swing I feel that my right hand/arm pulls my left side and is therefore the dominant side (I'm right handed). Because of this I sometimes feel I don't get a full shoulder rotation in and instead my arms just end up across my body.

I spoke to my dad about this (plays off 6) and he has no feeling and believes both work fairly equally so I'm interested to know what this forum thinks as to whether I'm wrong or right.

Hopefully this all makes sense - but in summary - you're about to start your swing do you feel your left arm/hand or right arm/hand takes the lead?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea. I've very right-handed though so it's probably the right doing the work. It might be equal though, it's hard to tell.

D

Deleted member 1147

It feels like both, because I try to start by rotating at the shoulders, but it could be one hand more than the other (hence any miss hits)

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Equal for me, especially at the very beginning of the takeaway. It is my shoulder axis that moves first, the arms and hands stay pretty much as they are. Then, once the clubhead has passed my right foot, the left arm starts to get a bit more dominant.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't know and I don't want to know
I've got enough thoughts going on with worrying about this.
I might ask Fragger tomorrow...see if I can get him thinking...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't know and I don't want to know
I've got enough thoughts going on with worrying about this.
I might ask Fragger tomorrow...see if I can get him thinking...
As if you need any help beating him. Mind you I can just see him on the second shot to the first standing there looking at what takes the club away and then in shock as he hosels one into the long stuff never to be seen again. You're a bad man

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I tend to for the first 3 feet of the golf swing feel that my hands arms and shoulders move together maintaining the structure they had at address. I think this gives you the best chance of taking the club back on a neutral path and can help save a lot of faults which come because of coming way inside or outside. It's also easy to check it, why not do it right.