Queenwood Golf Club, Surrey.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you know a Tour Pro or a (successful) hedge fund trader, you might be in with a shout. Word is the guy who owns it is a bit of a .... well, let's just say Piers Morgan.

Oops, there goes the invitation I was never going to get.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know one person who played it, he worked there and was allowed to play something like 3 times a year and one of those times he was allowed to invite one member of his immediate family (something like that anyway)

To say it is exclusive is a massive understatement. Of all the courses around here, and we have some very good courses, that is the one that I least expect to get to play. I'm fairly sure they look at you suspiciously if you dare to look in it's direction as you drive past

A1ex

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers for the replies! If a course is easy to get on, theres no challenge :p This is one of those courses you hear mysterious things about. Would love to get on there in 2012.

Ethan- Bearwood Lakes is a tidy course. One of my favs in the Berks/Hampshire/Surrey area. How's the new water features looking?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the replies! If a course is easy to get on, theres no challenge :p This is one of those courses you hear mysterious things about. Would love to get on there in 2012.

Ethan- Bearwood Lakes is a tidy course. One of my favs in the Berks/Hampshire/Surrey area. How's the new water features looking?

To tell you the truth, I haven't been up in 2 months, so I haven't seen recent work. .

The greenskeeper has a blog with updates on the course renovations, see link below.

I think the new 10th will be great, but the new 9th (pond in front of green, tee moved round into trees) will be an interesting hole too.

http://blgcgd.blogspot.com/

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could only find this

http://www.ukgolfguide.com/queenwood-golf-club

I played in a charity day at Royal Wimbledon in 2010. The Chief Exec of the Charity was a member of Queenwood. One of the raffle prizes was a 4 ball at Queenwood ( A 3 ball in reality as you had to play with a member). If memory serves me right it went for £800.

I played with a guy who was a Queenwood member at a corporate event at The Grove.

This guy was also a member of Loch Lomond and Kiawah Island and had the former head pro from Wentworth with him to keep an eye on his game. It wasn't hard to keep an eye on it, as you only had to be able to see about 180 yards off the tee and could ignore the entire left side of the golf course.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played it a few months ago on a charity bid with a member and for slightly more than mentioned above!! They like their privacy so all I will say is that it is a lovely course with fantastic service - a wonderful experience that I doubt I will ever experince again. Very glad that I coughed up more than I will ever likely pay again for a round of golf - but at least it was for charity!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played with a guy who was a Queenwood member at a corporate event at The Grove.

This guy was also a member of Loch Lomond and Kiawah Island and had the former head pro from Wentworth with him to keep an eye on his game. It wasn't hard to keep an eye on it, as you only had to be able to see about 180 yards off the tee and could ignore the entire left side of the golf course.

that must of cost him a couple of quid a year in subs. :eek:

If I won the lottery could I just turn up at the gate with a wheelbarrow full of cash ? or would I have to know the right people ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It sort of makes me mad too when there are these types of clubs around. I'm all for exclusivity etc but its criminal to have these course standing there idle for 95% of the time. I'm not suggesting opening to all and sundry but surely there has to be a way to strike a better balance

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
It sort of makes me mad too when there are these types of clubs around. I'm all for exclusivity etc but its criminal to have these course standing there idle for 95% of the time. I'm not suggesting opening to all and sundry but surely there has to be a way to strike a better balance

Crap isn't it? I often fancy kicking a ball around at Hampden - The pitch is generally empty during the week but they keep turning me away!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Crap isn't it? I often fancy kicking a ball around at Hampden - The pitch is generally empty during the week but they keep turning me away!

The thing is you've probably got more chance of playing at Hampden. I've played at a few decent grounds including Craven Cottage, Highbury and Elland Road. Had to pay for the privilege but it can be done. I was thinking more from a golfers perspective really with all that beautiful course sitting there idle most of the time. Even places like Swinley Forest etc has a reasonable amount of traffic

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
The thing is you've probably got more chance of playing at Hampden. I've played at a few decent grounds including Craven Cottage, Highbury and Elland Road. Had to pay for the privilege but it can be done. I was thinking more from a golfers perspective really with all that beautiful course sitting there idle most of the time. Even places like Swinley Forest etc has a reasonable amount of traffic

I've invaded a few in the past!

My mind set is that yes, it seems a waste, but that's why the members pay money way beyond our means - that feeling of exclusivity. Let's be honest here Homer, there's a little bit of the green eyed monster rearing his head here :whistle: :)

S

Snelly

Not sure why this would make anyone mad? And how do you know they are idle if you've never been?

The fact is that there is a market for this type of club and good luck to them. Anyone can be a member at Queenwood if they have the cash and influence to get in and if you do become a member, you are paying for exclusivity so why does a better balance need to be struck? No-one at Queenwood wants a better balance and a few members from Ascot coming for a game! The members are getting what they want and what they are paying a hefty fee for and that is how it will stay. End of argument.

It isn't a club I would like to join I don't think as I am more of a Swinley type of bloke.

And if you want to play there, it can be done just like PNW did. I have been at charity events and seen 4 balls for auction and they do go for a few quid. It isn't on my list of courses I would like to play though as I firmly bracket it with Loch Lomond and am pretty sure that it won't be my cup of tea. I don't like courses where people like Gary Lineker are allowed to be members!

That said, I am interested to know if PNW thinks that Queenwood is a better course than Bearwood? I would bet not but am intrigued to hear... Paul?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure why this would make anyone mad? And how do you know they are idle if you've never been?

That said, I am interested to know if PNW thinks that Queenwood is a better course than Bearwood? I would bet not but am intrigued to hear... Paul?
- one for offline Dave - can discuss it over a game at Bearwood in May if you fancy it - some big changes to see by then?

S

Snelly

- one for offline Dave - can discuss it over a game at Bearwood in May if you fancy it - some big changes to see by then?

Would love to! Without doubt, Bearwood was the best course I played for the 1st time last year. Wonderful place. If I lived nearer, I would be keen to join.

Have a good Christmas mate,

Snelly

london_hedgie

Visit site
Old thread, I know, but I am lucky enough to have played at Queenwood. And yes, I did see Henman and Redknapp there. Very nice place it is, too.