Queenwood Golf Club, Surrey.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A guy in the Swindle I generally played in had/has a mate who was (probably still is) a member and they used to play ther occasionally - and invite others (ballot) at times.

Once when they were out as a 2-ball, they were asked if someone else could join up. Having said 'Fine', they were somewhat surprised to see Ernie saunter up! He then asked 'Why not make a 4-ball?' So they got to play with Ernie and Retief! My mate's first swing was very tentative!

Apparently fabulous service. Course not wonderful, but greens like lightning!

@Ethan. I think that multi-top course member might be the guy that acts as a go-between for the Owners and Management of Manchester City. And the Pro, first name David, now runs some sort of Academy based at Wellington College?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1418

Not sure why this would make anyone mad? And how do you know they are idle if you've never been?

The fact is that there is a market for this type of club and good luck to them. Anyone can be a member at Queenwood if they have the cash and influence to get in and if you do become a member, you are paying for exclusivity so why does a better balance need to be struck? No-one at Queenwood wants a better balance and a few members from Ascot coming for a game! The members are getting what they want and what they are paying a hefty fee for and that is how it will stay. End of argument.

I totally agree. If I had the money to join an exclusive club, that offered me amazing standards of service and a certain amount of privacy then I would have no hesitation in joining.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Ethan. I think that multi-top course member might be the guy that acts as a go-between for the Owners and Management of Manchester City. And the Pro, first name David, now runs some sort of Academy based at Wellington College?

Very possibly about the rich guy - we didn't talk much about his work. The pro was David Rennie, who I do believe is associated with Wellington College.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Someone I know is a Prestwick and Turnberry member and 'well connected' as they say.
The owners invited him to play one of these 'new money' clubs and he was not at all impressed with the 'membership' and the ostentatious way that the course was run.
You meet a nicer type of chap at the local council course was his response.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There seem to be a couple of obvious types who belong to such clubs.

1. Those that belong in order to demonstrate that they can belong to such a club. That was my mate's opinion of why his mate joined!

2. Those that have the means and value the ability to play golf without the hassle that fame can bring.

Both are welcome to that world.

And as an afterthought, I heard a couple of (relatively minor) celebrities discussing what club they belonged. One simply laughingly stated 'Queenwood - it's the only club that would have me'! - though I think that was rather in jest!

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Best story I've heard about Queenwood was that they originally set themselves up on HowdidIdo and forgot to enable the privacy settings. For about a week you could see all the members and their handicaps. The guy involved got the sack.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Robobum and I will tell you how good it is next month ;)