PW help needed

KevNB

Visit site
Hi, new to the forum, I'm Kev.

I'm looking into buying a new wedge, to replace the PW I got with my set of irons. I'm a 28 handicap. I really have little knowledge on what to look for.

I've came to 2 outcomes: 1. buy a wedge for quite cheap
2. buy a top of the range club, that will last me for years

Im leaning towards option 2. Can anyone help with what it should be? Club, Degree (48 maybe?), bounce etc...

Thank you, I hope this makes sense.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Depending on how much you practice and play, even the best wedge out there might only last a couple of years. I use MD wedges and at around £50 quid a club, is half the price of some of the supposed better clubs, might be worth a punt, especially as they come out ahead of most of the clubs for value, performance etc.

KevNB

Visit site
Hi thanks Bob. I've been playing for maybe 18 months, on average 1.5 times per week. I joined Hartlepool golf club around 3 months ago. I've had no lessons yet, mainly because when I started to play it was a casual thing. Now, I'm taking it more seriously. I bought a set of Ben sayers M7, recommended by a friend as a good set for a beginner, I've already replaced the putter. My favourite part of the game is in and around the green, and could always rely on my PW for a good shot and to boost my confidence, it's my favourite club in my bag, well it was until it broke (my fault).

Now I need a new one. Should I go to a store for fitting etc..?

KevNB

Visit site
Yeah, its just the shaft, snapped in half :angry:. Still instead of fixing it, I would prefer to get a new one I think.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah, its just the shaft, snapped in half :angry:. Still instead of fixing it, I would prefer to get a new one I think.

I would suggest you get it fixed, get some lessons, then practice and get better.
Then get a new set.
If you just buy a new wedge it will feel different from the rest of your set.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
If you just buy a new wedge it will feel different from the rest of your set.
I can concur with the above gentleman in that regard.
HID bought me one for Crimbo a few years ago. She meant well, walked into Direct Golf asked for help and came out with a Hotblade 56deg blade type wedge with the understanding that it was the norm for a sand wedge!

Don't actually know what the angle is supposed to be on a sand wedge, any offers?

Needless to say, the wedge barely sees the light of day.

KevNB

Visit site
The thought of getting it repaired had never crossed my mind, I think because I didn't realise it could be fixed. Are your wedges not played completely different to your irons, woods etc.. anyway. Would it make that much of a difference if a bought a new wedge to replace my old PW? I'm asking because I genuinely don't know.

Thanks

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with Bobmac on this it will cost you no more than £15 to get a new shaft glued in. Any pro will have an old shaft or 10 lying around. Until you get better you will have more success with all of your clubs feeling the same, add on wedges will usually be the bladed type, these are suited to more competant players. I doubt you would get on with that type of wedge so you will ultimately just waste your hard earned.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Are your wedges not played completely different to your irons, woods etc.. anyway. Thanks

PW is normally the same as you 9-iron, 8-iron, etc.... but you're other wedges 50°, 54° & 58° are generally more 'custom' to your requirements.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As others, get it re-shafted. Might be more like £30, but still cheaper than a new one, and it will be fine for a 28 handicapper for now.