Putting

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi,

As most of you know I am clueless, just be watching golf and one of the commentators referred to a player as being a very good ' Lag putter' . What does this mean please.

Cheers

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm a slag putter, I look good but when it comes to doing the business I never get near the hole :smirk:

:cool:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi,

As most of you know I am clueless, just be watching golf and one of the commentators referred to a player as being a very good ' Lag putter' . What does this mean please.

Cheers

basically it means the commentator is suggesting that he's better at putting to a 2ft radius circle than he is putting to a 4inch 'corridor'....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hi,

Cheers

Not 3-putting when there's $500,000 on the line. Knowing when to not go past the hole, knowing when to leave a ball below the hole. Basically knowing how to keep a card wrecker off your score. Some people are good at not making mistakes, giving a ball a chance without being reckless.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Exactly.

For me, lag putting is a subconcious admission of not feeling you can sink it... I go for everything.

I have never quite got 'Lag Putting' I always putt to hole out. Why would you not want to?

Come on guys, Do you really think people aim to miss?

I lagg putt, but how I see it is I'm aiming for the ball to literally fall into the hole and if I miss it should be there abouts for a absolute 2 putt.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Come on guys, Do you really think people aim to miss?

I lagg putt, but how I see it is I'm aiming for the ball to literally fall into the hole and if I miss it should be there abouts for a absolute 2 putt.

The simple answer is 'Yes' If you are lag putting then you are aiming to get within the dustbin lid so you can stop a three putt. I go with the Dave Pelz idea that a perfect weight takes the ball 13 inches past the hole on a miss, this weight has the best chance of the ball dropping. IMHO lagging sucks.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always thought lag putting we're just long putts! Didn't realise it was just getting a long putt close, I personally try to hole all putts.

it's not about aiming to hole, or not

it's about staying close when there's a question of risking running it 'a few feet' past because that may represent the better % for holing it the first time.

this is best represented in longer putts where small % errors in distance control can end up representing a serious risk in terms of the return putt eg 40ft putt, 10% potential distance error either way. If you want to guarantee the ball will get to the hole you have to 'aim' 4ft past, and if you are short it will just get there, if you are long it's an 8ft return putt :) Aim at the hole and it's a max 4ft second putt, but 50% of your first putts won't get to the hole!!!

if you think about these numbers for a moment you will see why the guy with excellent distance control is in a good place - he can always aim to ensure he gets to the hole, everytime, whilst someone with a poor % control will almost be forced to aim at the hole and come up short a lot.